Groups

Help Yellow light of Death...best thing to do

We have had our 60 GB PS3 for 3 years and it got the yellow light last night. Let it cool down but it still is not working so think it has had it.
    I have heard of the YLOD but none of my sons friends have had it so but not sure what my best option is. I have heard some say that Sony will replace it for something like £120 but mine might be too old for even that. So are we stuck with buying a new one ourselves or can it be fixed. What have other people done as we would be struggling to buy a new one at the moment.
    Secondly we have paid for quite a lot of things on PS Network would we be able to download this again once we have a new machine.
    And lastly we have a game stuck in the machine which we obviously would like to get out for when we eventually get another PS3 any ideas how we should get it out would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

14 Comments

Ours did the exactly the same thing! Have you read up on the Sale of Goods Act? I contacted where I bought it from and they sent me out a cheque to cover the repair/replacement of it (£131) by Sony.

As for the PS Network I have no idea?

The game in the machine you tell Sony about and they send back within 6 weeks :thumbsup:

Ours was a just over 2 years old 60gb. Replaced like for like

Original Poster

I will look at that although i am struggling to find the receipt at the moment. I think it was game. Thanks for your help.

Goofeys Girl;7767305

I will look at that although i am struggling to find the receipt at the … I will look at that although i am struggling to find the receipt at the moment. I think it was game. Thanks for your help.

Ahhhh. Could you get hold of a bank statement from back then by any chance? That is if you paid by card :thumbsup:

Banned

your options are

1 - pay 130 quid to sony for a refurb (only get 3 months warranty) waiting at least 6 weeks for your game back

2- repair yourself using gilksy method (heat gun etc.) cost you about £20 and 2 hours - you get your game back but repair may last 10 mins or 10months

3- do the repair yourself and sell and put money towards a new slim

4 - do the sale of goods act etc.

when mine got ylod i did the repair myself got my game out and backed up all my saves, it was really easy!!! then sold for £80 and bought a slim off additions for £203

i suppose best option really if possible is do the sales of goods act get a cheque for the repair like above for £130
    then you could repair yourself and sell, this way you basically get enough for a new slim :thumbsup:

You can download everything you have previously downloaded from the Playstation network.

When you get a new PS3, you simply sign into your account, and you can download them again without charge.

You can do this 4/5 times on different machines for free.

Original Poster

Thanks guys for all your answers. Will have a look at the Sales of good Act. I am a little dubious when we have had it 3 years though.
    Great to know we wont loose our bought network stuff, even if they have to start at the beginning of games again.
    I will look at that gilksy method but in all honesty think it will be way beyond me. Makes me laugh that i am even considering it. I would try if it meant we could at least retrieve all our bought stuff and saved games.
    Appreiciate all your time. Heat given. Have a nice weekend. At least its quiet here as my boys have had to go play out now the PS3 is broke. So it does have one advantage.

I tried the Gilksy method on two PS3's without any joy. YLOD can be a variety of things, so it's hit or miss whether it will work.

It's worth backing up your game saves every now and then to your PC, it takes a minute or two, and good practice.

Original Poster

thesaint;7767729

I tried the Gilksy method on two PS3's without any joy. YLOD can be a … I tried the Gilksy method on two PS3's without any joy. YLOD can be a variety of things, so it's hit or miss whether it will work.It's worth backing up your game saves every now and then to your PC, it takes a minute or two, and good practice.

Yes i absolutely agree about backing up. I bought an external HDD a month ago and meant to do it and never got round to it. Typical. As always i learn by my mistakes. Whatever we do regarding the PS3 when we have a new one i will get the kids to backup once a month or so.

Goofeys Girl;7767702

Thanks guys for all your answers. Will have a look at the Sales of good … Thanks guys for all your answers. Will have a look at the Sales of good Act. I am a little dubious when we have had it 3 years though. Great to know we wont loose our bought network stuff, even if they have to start at the beginning of games again.I will look at that gilksy method but in all honesty think it will be way beyond me. Makes me laugh that i am even considering it. I would try if it meant we could at least retrieve all our bought stuff and saved games.Appreiciate all your time. Heat given. Have a nice weekend. At least its quiet here as my boys have had to go play out now the PS3 is broke. So it does have one advantage.

You get 6 years to complain with the Sale of Goods Act :thumbsup:

Banned

so are alot of ps3 getting this then?

goofy, did you play your ps3 lots?

Banned

I Made this thread, a couple of links also

How to repair the YLOD

And advice on how to go through the sales of good act ( bbc watchdog site )

hotukdeals.com/ite…303

Original Poster

xsazzyjayx;7768538

You get 6 years to complain with the Sale of Goods Act :thumbsup:

wow i will look at that i just presumed after 3 years i wouldnt stand a chance, thanks a ton.

Original Poster

bykergrove;7768571

so are alot of ps3 getting this then?goofy, did you play your ps3 lots?

We had it for 3 years first two years i would say very light as my son was only 11 when we got it no more than a couple of hours a day max over the week. The last year now he's 13 and all his mates have one i would say nearly double that but not everyday. I would still say we would be a light to medium user compared to older teenagers or adults who spend mor time in the evenings.

As i understant it this is a problem mainly with the older 60 GB ones, something to do with overheating. We had a friend have the problem but theirs was still under warranty with the shop so think it got sorted out very quickly. It gets mentioned on here quite often but i have never really needed to look at the threads before so i guess it is a problem. lets put it this way i would never buy that model again as its the one everyone seems to say avoid.

Original Poster

dj_urban;7768608

I Made this thread, a couple of links also How to repair the YLOD And … I Made this thread, a couple of links also How to repair the YLOD And advice on how to go through the sales of good act ( bbc watchdog site )http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/591303/the-hukd-ps3-thread?t=591303

Thank you for the link i will take a look later today when have the time. Decorating at the moment.

Have given you all some rep. sorry i said heat earlier in the thread so i hope your ears didnt start burning or anything.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Important info for Ryanair customers1520
      2. Spotify Family Premium share512
      3. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?914
      4. Virgin Media Broadband Retention Deals34

See more discussions