Found 13th Oct 2010
So . . . Had an appendecectomy last week and have been signed off from my "Accountancy Trainee" job for 3 weeks which has left me with some major thinking time. I have decided that I really dislike my job as it is so boring and want to quit go to university like I had planned to and study to become a teacher (secondary).

What do you guys think? My current job will pay hell of a lot better but I don't enjoy it?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
28 Comments

go with your heart mate. If you can afford to get qualified then do it.

my pay is rubbish, but, ive never went to my work a day in 20 years and thought , i hate this. I get satisfaction from my job, i really enjoy it. Follow your instincts. You will be free.

how long have you got to go in the trainee accountancy job to qualify?
im one year qualified but work in a great office with good friends so im all happy, if it wasnt for that I would maybe feel like you do but now that im qualified i prob wanna move to banking anyway......however i do know how you feel, nearly packed it in fairly early on to go for the police, but if there is something else that you really really want to do then and you know a bit about it I would say go for it.

most people hate their job, but your current one can fund a better lifestyle.

dont underestimate the stress that comes with teaching high school students, personally I'd rather be bored sat in an office working with numbers knowing I'm well off with something to look forward too (holidays etc)

Banned

I enjoy being on the dole but I need to get a job because I am skint

You can work to live or live to work.
Those who are lucky manage to make a living doing something thay love and that should not be underestimated but it could also be useful to have a fallback position, and the accountancy may provide that. In uncertain times where lots of people will be losing their employment anyway its handy to have something that may provide an income even if its something you would prefer not to do.
If you are going to abandon it make sure you have a buffer of sorts or at least that any decision that you make wont impact badly on anyone close.

Teaching. Eek, my friend is a teacher, only little ones, and she is constantly stressed, ran off her feet, never has time to fart etc

I'd much rather have a better paid job sat in an office 9-5.

my mate is a trainee accountant and really hates it as well. Hes been saying for years that hes gona pack it in once hes qualified and go into teaching but he failed one of the exams a while ago and it set him back a bit and ever since I think hes resigned himself to sticking with it for good. Seems like a broken man tbh

I was in a job I despised, every day was a real struggle to get through, and if I had had to stick with it for good I think I would have suffered with depression, but it was the people as well that I worked with that didnt help. The minute I qualified I told them to stick it where the sun don't shine, the look on their face was priceless, they thought I was bargaining for a better package so they came back with an improved offer but there wasnt enough money to have made me waste my life away in there. Its been a year since then, I've gone travelling around Europe and the States, and when I came back the job scene was bleak and I wasn't too sure what I wanted to do next. So got a bar job for a few months whilst I was looking for something, now got a date lined up for a dream job (though the pay is crap) in Brussels, just waiting for confirmation of my start date so I'm really happy. Just hoping the job survives all the cuts that are taking place

So the best bit of advice I can give my from my experience is to do a job that will make you happy as it affects every aspect of your life

Have to agree with doing what makes you happy - I'm pretty miserable in my job and would take the pay cut to be back at home and doing something more fulfilling and enjoyable (or at least less boring and stressful).

Don't make rash decisions. You're probably feeling odd about it because you've been out for a while. Wait until you're well, and back in the game, then have a proper rethink, maybe some professional career advice.

ChipSticks

Teaching. Eek, my friend is a teacher, only little ones, and she is … Teaching. Eek, my friend is a teacher, only little ones, and she is constantly stressed, ran off her feet, never has time to fart etcI'd much rather have a better paid job sat in an office 9-5.

This is a good point, but in my experience, everyone wants whatever is on the other side of the fence. We're rarely happy with our lot.

I suggest you hang in there and finish your training; I do accounting and there are different areas that you can branch into, try forensic accounting etc.

I have to say, although I found my accountancy training boring it has led me into the most amazing job that I love, Project Management.

My teacher friends all seem bored but go with your gut and have no regrets X)

choc1969

I have to say, although I found my accountancy training boring it has led … I have to say, although I found my accountancy training boring it has led me into the most amazing job that I love, Project Management.My teacher friends all seem bored but go with your gut and have no regrets X)

I would love to get into project management but cant afford the prince2 course

Banned

money isnt everything, if you hate your job you just got to decide if you want money or a job you would be happy in, i know which i would choose, lifes to short to be unhappy

Original Poster

andymack

how long have you got to go in the trainee accountancy job to qualify?im … how long have you got to go in the trainee accountancy job to qualify?im one year qualified but work in a great office with good friends so im all happy, if it wasnt for that I would maybe feel like you do but now that im qualified i prob wanna move to banking anyway......however i do know how you feel, nearly packed it in fairly early on to go for the police, but if there is something else that you really really want to do then and you know a bit about it I would say go for it.

Its a 5-year training scheme; however even after that I can't leave with 4-6 years I think it is otherwise i'll have to pay back around 17% off what they invested in me. It's just extrememly boring and I really don't enjoy it. Marks and Spencer have offered me a xmas contract starting next week (previously employed there and I love working there) and I don't know wether to accept or not.

Original Poster

Thank you guys for the advice. My gf thinks I'm daft along with the rest of the army but I really don't like it.

how long before u qualify?

money isnt everything but is defintiely something!

money or some teenager saying

oi blud i aint doin my homework if you try and make me im gonna say you tried to touch me you peedo.

scott1295

Its a 5-year training scheme; however even after that I can't leave with … Its a 5-year training scheme; however even after that I can't leave with 4-6 years I think it is otherwise i'll have to pay back around 17% off what they invested in me. It's just extrememly boring and I really don't enjoy it. Marks and Spencer have offered me a xmas contract starting next week (previously employed there and I love working there) and I don't know wether to accept or not.

and are you still at the very start of your training? It depends, M & S probably looks good now but remember its only for christmas, I know people here in northern ireland who would kill to be taken on by a training firm, i also know a load of recently qualified teachers who cant get jobs as there is none but it maybe be different where you are. Whatever way you look at it just dont be rash, weigh up all the options and whilst everyone says follow your heart sadly its never exactly that easy when you have a very big decision to make. (its very easy to give follow your heart advice to someone else)

Depends how you feel abaout kids!
Have you had any experience teaching at secondary level? if not before you do anything call a couple of your local schools and ask if you could come in and visit.

As a secondary teacher myself.. yes i am stressed the hell out, but i do enjoy my job. I couldnt work benind a desk i would go mental.

DLM

I enjoy being on the dole but I need to get a job because I am skint

how can you enjoy it?!
i hated it and i was only on the dole 6 weeks!

Edited by: "missp27" 13th Oct 2010

missp27

how can you enjoy it?!i hated it!

Because she's skanky. No one should ENJOY being on the dole. It should be tough so you cannot enjoy luxuries and gets you off your backside and into a job.

DLM - Oct 13, 2010 09:10I enjoy being on the dole but I need to get a job … DLM - Oct 13, 2010 09:10I enjoy being on the dole but I need to get a job because I am skint

Amen to that

ive just left university, was studying accounting and finance lol i hated it, im going back next year to study economics and history

micoo

ive just left university, was studying accounting and finance lol i hated … ive just left university, was studying accounting and finance lol i hated it, im going back next year to study economics and history

did you finish the course Micoo or drop out?

Wow a lot of accountants here.

Personally ive done accounting and finance at uni, but unfortunately haven't been able to get a trainee contract. Im trying really hard to get in, but i know alot of friends are finding the exams very hard and some that have already dropped out. Thing is accounting is kinda how my brain works, but if you want to do teaching, then i'd say do it. You've got to work for 40 years or so, so it needs to be something your interested in and can enjoy to an extent.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604843
    2. Premium baked beans just 99p for 4 cans from ALDI!2040
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769645
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet35113

See more discussions