29 replies
Found 2nd Jul
look at this deal posted by member arpanabasu001

hotukdeals.com/tag/dea…944

1. Misc
  2. Food
  3. Meal
Top comments

It would do me as lunch. A couple of months ago the tour details Yorkshire cycle race hit town. I went down to take some pictures as my brother in law is an avid cyclist. One of the sponsors was mug shots and they were giving away free sachets of their product. When I say giving away I don't mean you had to beg for them either, they had people out there doling them out in handfuls. I think I ended up with seventeen free packets which are currently sitting in my cupboard but will find their way to the food bank when I get a chance. It is sickening to think that in a country as advanced as ours that there are people who rely on food banks.I know many people will say there are scroungers and cheats using these places but there are also people in genuine need. While there are still people in genuine need, I will continue to contribute.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 2nd Jul
29 Comments

Original Poster

I do volunteer work and know of people who would see one sachet as a meal

It would do me as lunch. A couple of months ago the tour details Yorkshire cycle race hit town. I went down to take some pictures as my brother in law is an avid cyclist. One of the sponsors was mug shots and they were giving away free sachets of their product. When I say giving away I don't mean you had to beg for them either, they had people out there doling them out in handfuls. I think I ended up with seventeen free packets which are currently sitting in my cupboard but will find their way to the food bank when I get a chance. It is sickening to think that in a country as advanced as ours that there are people who rely on food banks.I know many people will say there are scroungers and cheats using these places but there are also people in genuine need. While there are still people in genuine need, I will continue to contribute.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 2nd Jul

Original Poster

you can get a loaf of bread for 35p - 40p with about 30 slices in

so one box of these is 50p if you use the whole box in one day thats 4 "meals"

one sachet + 3 slices of bread = around 16p per meal, 64p per day, sorry for anyone who had to do this but at least you get to eat

^what PBH said

checkoutsmart do a lot of freebies(a lot of it not very healthy I do admit )
and you can have four accounts per household

miles136

you can get a loaf of bread for 35p - 40p with about 30 slices inso one … you can get a loaf of bread for 35p - 40p with about 30 slices inso one box of these is 50p if you use the whole box in one day thats 4 "meals" one sachet + 3 slices of bread = around 16p per meal, 64p per day, sorry for anyone who had to do this but at least you get to eat

Great thought and I often donate to my food bank but I would not recommend anyone eat 4 of these in a day as their food allowance. The chicken one, for example, is 83 calories per portion, and if anyone is already struggling financially to feed themselves they cannot survive on 332 calories per day (83 x 4), and there aren't enough vitamins, minerals, fibre & nutrients in it to be healthy.

It's a great idea for a lunch, but not suitable for a whole day meal plan.

do you think i could qualify for this? lol.

i always wondered whether people have to prove low income level to get food from food banks, if they don't they should do.

mutley1

do you think i could qualify for this? lol.i always wondered whether … do you think i could qualify for this? lol.i always wondered whether people have to prove low income level to get food from food banks, if they don't they should do.

I believe that people need to be referred to the foodbank through numerous official places and then you get a token which you can 'spend'.

trusselltrust.org/get…lp/

I have known people so desperate they've used foodbanks and it's something that broke their hearts, admitting that they couldn't provide food for their children. It's not an easy thing to accept help but the foodbank was a lifeline and they were treated with the upmost respect whilst there.

I will always support The Trussell Trust (my local foodbank) as I feel incredibly lucky that hunger is something I've never truly experienced and I want to help anyone who is in that unfortunate situation.

sicklysweet17 m ago

I believe that people need to be referred to the foodbank through numerous …I believe that people need to be referred to the foodbank through numerous official places and then you get a token which you can 'spend'. https://www.trusselltrust.org/get-help/I have known people so desperate they've used foodbanks and it's something that broke their hearts, admitting that they couldn't provide food for their children. It's not an easy thing to accept help but the foodbank was a lifeline and they were treated with the upmost respect whilst there. I will always support The Trussell Trust (my local foodbank) as I feel incredibly lucky that hunger is something I've never truly experienced and I want to help anyone who is in that unfortunate situation.

it is a shame that people end up without food in this country as we have the benefits system, which technically should provide enough for food as a minimum. however the level of benefit is so low that you would need to buy extremely cheap food. you certainly could not go to sainsburys and buy any food you like for example. your benefits would not last long.

people get into trouble because the benefit money is spent on fags, alcohol, clothes, fruit machine or the bookies, etc so when it comes to feeding the family, there is not enough left.

In my younger days I really struggled. I left home at 15 and I worked but I had rent of £95 a week and was earning about £105 a week. Went to the council to apply for housing benifit and was told that as I was under 18 I couldn't get it as I should be living at home with parents. (I was young then and not so pushy as I am now so I just accepted the first answer I got given).

I survived for a long time just eating cup a soup and cheap pasta with ketchup on as a sauce. Looking back I don't know how I managed to survive but I did.
Edited by: "farmlama" 2nd Jul

farmlama5 m ago

In my younger days I really struggled. I left home at 15 and I worked but …In my younger days I really struggled. I left home at 15 and I worked but I had rent of £95 a week and was earning about £105 a week. Went to the council to apply for housing benifit and was told that as I was under 18 I couldn't get it as I should be living at home with parents. (I was young then and not so pushy as I am now so I just accepted the first answer I got given).I survived for a long time just eating cup a soup and cheap pasta with ketchup on as a sauce. Looking back I don't know how I managed to survive but I did.

there are quite a few food places that provide free dinners in london now where people can come in for free dinners. i don't know if you have to prove low income, but it certainly sound like a good idea.

Original Poster

If u need to eat this works not perfect but at least you get to eat

miles136

If u need to eat this works not perfect but at least you get to eat

It works for a lunch or occasional supper but isn't food suitable for sustaining you.

If you're struggling to that extent there are the foodbanks to get help from, or have a look at the Tesco value food ranges as for example pasta with a tomato sauce is a great option that has more calories & nutrition than the soup and works out at a similar cost.

Pasta @ 20p for 500g tesco.com/gro…625

Pasta sauce that can be split into 4 portions @ 45p
tesco.com/gro…959

The foodbank can provide recipe ideas, meal plans etc and help in other ways too.

There are also lots of resources online to help with low budget meals.

The soup is great for lunches, and the occasional supper, but if you're struggling so much you're contemplating on eating 4 packs in one day to survive, please don't and accept the help that is out there.
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 2nd Jul

mutley1

there are quite a few food places that provide free dinners in london … there are quite a few food places that provide free dinners in london now where people can come in for free dinners. i don't know if you have to prove low income, but it certainly sound like a good idea.

One thing I've learnt is that it's not only people on low incomes who can get into financial strife.

A friend of mine who was on a 'normal' salary got into a pickle when mortgage interest rates went up, but they couldn't sell the house as it was in negative equity. When their overtime was slashed, their car broke down (they lived in the middle of nowhere so without a car couldn't get to work or the kids to school), the washing machine broke and a whole load of other things happened, they couldn't keep up with the spiralling debt and the worry about how to feed the kids kept them up at night. They felt shame going to the foodbank but were treated with respect when they got there and even had trolley to go and choose what they wanted like in a normal supermarket.

That was several years ago and thankfully things have improved a lot for them and it was only a couple of times they had to go to the foodbank, but they have never forgotten it and when able they always donate food for people who are in the position they were.

No one should ever go to bed hungry, so this thread is great as it's raising awareness and getting people to talk, and think, about it.

well, if anyone needs crisps, i got 200 packs of hoola hoops barbecue flavour that i need to eat by myself within the next two months. i am happy to donate some. lol

miles136

you can get a loaf of bread for 35p - 40p with about 30 slices inso one … you can get a loaf of bread for 35p - 40p with about 30 slices inso one box of these is 50p if you use the whole box in one day thats 4 "meals" one sachet + 3 slices of bread = around 16p per meal, 64p per day, sorry for anyone who had to do this but at least you get to eat

Seems cheap. Why can't the people going to the food bank just buy it themselves?

666FU2 h, 8 m ago

Seems cheap. Why can't the people going to the food bank just buy it …Seems cheap. Why can't the people going to the food bank just buy it themselves?

food banks are meant for people who has no money at all and so would go hungry if they could not get the food free. i am uncertain if it is an ongoing provision or a one off provision for those in need at certain times in their life.

if it is continual provision, then that person is in serious trouble and there should be other ways to help them rather than continual hand outs.

Original Poster

666FU

Seems cheap. Why can't the people going to the food bank just buy it … Seems cheap. Why can't the people going to the food bank just buy it themselves?

I do not know the answer but it must be so degrading to have to do this

Original Poster

Maybe this deal will help someone not to have to use a food bank

I'm not knocking food banks but I know a chap on DLA, his parents died and the bungalow was split 3 ways (him and siblings), he still goes to the food bank. I do wonder who checks these things, I thought you were supposed to get a voucher?

Original Poster

splatsplatsplat

I'm not knocking food banks but I know a chap on DLA, his parents died … I'm not knocking food banks but I know a chap on DLA, his parents died and the bungalow was split 3 ways (him and siblings), he still goes to the food bank. I do wonder who checks these things, I thought you were supposed to get a voucher?

I did too,

I usually get lots of smart price/value stuff,can get lots for a £5 for the food bank trolley,also all the chocolates and xmas foods i get for prezzies go in as well.

mutley1

do you think i could qualify for this? lol.i always wondered whether … do you think i could qualify for this? lol.i always wondered whether people have to prove low income level to get food from food banks, if they don't they should do.

New low mutters, new low.

Original Poster

another good offer to help your local food bank

hotukdeals.com/dea…714

Original Poster

please remember poor pppl on free dinners get no help in the school holidays

Goto easy shop, tins of tuna for 25p Everything 25p actually but check the dates

Original Poster

Kids are still off school please help your local food bank if you can
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769515
    2. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA2097
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247649
    4. Anyone else bored of video gaming1827

See more discussions