Posted 1 February 2010

Help...Do you own a Dell Studio 1535 Laptop (Leicestershire)?

Cadbury's choccies to the person that can assist!

My sister's laptop has developed a fault...it keeps displaying the following message when booting up:
"The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 65W AC adapter or higher for best system operation."

Her laptop runs very slowly and does not charge the battery because it's running off reduced power.

I've been advised that a bios update will resolve the problem but I'm unable to do this because the battery has less than 10% charge.

I'd be very grateful if I could try out your battery and charger at your house to rule out a problem with my battery or charger first.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    dcx_badass;7715346

My sisters does that because she half snapped the wires, she has a Vostro … My sisters does that because she half snapped the wires, she has a Vostro 1500.

Coincidently my sister's got the same problem with her charger but I've no way of telling for sure if that's the problem. Think the laptop was working when the tear first developed. She's also tried a universal charger but no joy.
    Just wanted to be on the safe side before we fork out for a new charger.
    Thanks for the advice.
    If its still under warranty dell will send you a new charger they did for me when mine broke just email them and explain the problem
    Author
    bigfoot100;7715483

If its still under warranty dell will send you a new charger they did for … If its still under warranty dell will send you a new charger they did for me when mine broke just email them and explain the problem

No luck...out of warranty by a couple of months.
    daughters laptop went and i suspected it was the charger, its a dell vostro 1400. I bought a compatible charger off fleabay and its working good as new.
    Same her my Dell inspiron kept saying the same bought one for £15 off fleabay
    Dell have done this for a while and its very annoying.... there is a way to hack a generic replacement adaptor to work and charge (and remove the message), but I'm not sure exactly how as I have never had to do it. Google is your friend.

If the message is appearing because of damage, a bios update is unlikely to help (unless dell were told to stop pissing about limiting people to their own chargers?)
    pipsqueak;7716113

Same her my Dell inspiron kept saying the same bought one for £15 off … Same her my Dell inspiron kept saying the same bought one for £15 off fleabay

aye mine was £15 too, worked A1
    Author
    Thanks for all the replies.

McNally32 and pipsqueak, can you please point me towards the charger you bought off fleabay?
    You don't have to have a charged battery to update the bios, you can update it without any battery attached using the power lead.
    Author
    flyingflea;7723518

You don't have to have a charged battery to update the bios, you can … You don't have to have a charged battery to update the bios, you can update it without any battery attached using the power lead.

Not the case, I tried it with just the power lead plugged in and got an error message stating the battery must be attached before the BIOS can be updated.
    I had the same problem today with my studio 1737, the battery was no longer charging and system was very slow. After some googling I booted the laptop with the AC adapter plugged in BUT the battery removed.

Without the battery no error messages popped up. When I booted up with the battery back in place, it was back to normal and the battery is charging.

I still phoned Dell and they are sending me a new charger.
's avatar