Helpful website for energy tariffs (doesn't exists)

Posted 4th AugEdited by:"georgesvalch"
It will be interesting to see a website where the energy prices for the UK providers are listed, telling you clearly how much is the Kilowatt and the standing charge, not a comparison. Energy comparison websites are like mushrooms after the rain, but I'm not aware about any of them, doing what I said. What do you think?
Community Updates
10 Comments
If only! Been a minefield trying to compare like for like. It's almost as if it's deliberate
Gollywood04/08/2020 09:17

If only! Been a minefield trying to compare like for like. It's almost as …If only! Been a minefield trying to compare like for like. It's almost as if it's deliberate

I am afraid that most of us are encouraging this, rather willing to see how much we can "save" instead doing our own maths.
All the energy comparison websites i use do the comparison then you can click on the individual tariff to see the specific tariff unit costs and standing charges.

Is this not what you want?
In Northern Ireland the consumer council produce a table of tariffs. This is easier here as there aren’t many to chose from!
ArcadeAssassin04/08/2020 09:27

All the energy comparison websites i use do the comparison then you can …All the energy comparison websites i use do the comparison then you can click on the individual tariff to see the specific tariff unit costs and standing charges. Is this not what you want?

Not really, there's a hassle to input all your data and register with the website. You need hundreds of clicks on each tariff after that. As I said, a list of prices available will be much helpful.
Why would you need hundreds of clicks on each tariff?
You only need to click on the cheapest ones if you filter it correctly.
I look at the cheapest with best customer service and renewable energy sources.
Blueskinnedbeast04/08/2020 10:14

Why would you need hundreds of clicks on each tariff?You only need to …Why would you need hundreds of clicks on each tariff?You only need to click on the cheapest ones if you filter it correctly.I look at the cheapest with best customer service and renewable energy sources.

The cheapest they recommend may be not the cheapest available, it would be great to see a list. As I said, to see the prices, and then to think about CS or renewable sources. While I do care about pollution, I do care more about my own pocket and I'll choose a renewable source if that brings a benefit for me too.
I created a spreadsheet. I use a comparison website to narrow down the choice, then enter the unit & day prices on the spreadsheet to see the actual costs. I usually get an e-mail after a month or so on the tarriff saying they are increasing the direct debit for various reasons, so I phone them up and tell them that unless their prices have increased (they haven't) to leave the direct debit alone. I believe this is where they make a lot of their money.
Why is the saving always based on a figure for my supplier that I will never use .
My advice is go direct to a suppliers site .
If they're offering an incentive it will be in the price .
Avro seems cheapest in Fy2 area
Edited by: "menace4765" 5th Aug
georgesvalch04/08/2020 09:37

Not really, there's a hassle to input all your data and register with the …Not really, there's a hassle to input all your data and register with the website. You need hundreds of clicks on each tariff after that. As I said, a list of prices available will be much helpful.

But you need to provide some information to get an accurate quote. Energy prices vary according to where you live. You also need to know how much energy you use to find the best tariff. You pay a daily standing charge on each fuel as well as paying for the actual energy you use - the less energy you use the more the standing charges would become a factor.

Would agree though that comparison sites can be selective in the suppliers they choose to include & their quoted savings are generally a work of fiction
Post a comment
@
    Text