HELP...in naming a plant please.....

15 replies
Found 8th Mar 2011
...I bought it as a small plant and it's grown nearly the size of my house! It's like a palm tree, the leaves are long and shiny and they shed when dead. It's called something like 'Australia' (but isn't!). I think it's diseased now and am looking for info on it. Can you help?

1. Misc
  2. Plant
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Plant
15 Comments

I like Dave, call it Dave

Original Poster

Funny but b*gger all help!

Bane17

I like Dave, call it Dave

X)...........got to admit when i read the title i first thought he wanted help giving a plant a name , ya know like the new dog threads on here, lol

chesso

Arecaceae is the proper name for the palm family.Have a look though some … Arecaceae is the proper name for the palm family.Have a look though some of these and see if you recognise oneHowever I think that you probably have a Cordyline australis (New Zealand cabbage palm) -which isn't actually a palm.

I was going to say cordyline, my folks have one and it is humungous, grows at least two foot every year!

Dont know but everyone has them in my area and they are all dead because of the snow. Tall tree with long leaves. It sounds the same, im guessing yours has gone the same way

call it BILLY BEANSTALK

Original Poster

chesso

Arecaceae is the proper name for the palm family.Have a look though some … Arecaceae is the proper name for the palm family.Have a look though some of these and see if you recognise oneHowever I think that you probably have a Cordyline australis (New Zealand cabbage palm) -which isn't actually a palm.

Yes this is it! Thanks all...not sure what to do with it...it's about 15 years old now.

scabbers

Yes this is it! Thanks all...not sure what to do with it...it's about 15 … Yes this is it! Thanks all...not sure what to do with it...it's about 15 years old now.

Do you think it has been killed by the frosts?
Have a look at page 4 inlast year's gardening thread - scattered around are various useful comments.

Don't be in any rush to dig it out. Quite often it will come again from any place in the trunk. If the top is dead then the roots may be fine. Mine was cut off at the base years ago (and see pics in that thread); they often come again and multi-stemmed.

shopstilldrops

X)...........got to admit when i read the title i first thought he wanted … X)...........got to admit when i read the title i first thought he wanted help giving a plant a name , ya know like the new dog threads on here, lol

Me too X)

Thought he was getting attached to it - or going to give it a decent burial.

Original Poster

I'm a 'she'

scabbers

I'm a 'she'

Whoops - sorry!

scabbers

I'm a 'she'

oO..........really , i thought you was a he also ..........ooops sorry x

Hey

Supposedly it was on gardeners world last week saying everyones was the same :). My dad told me so maybe have a check see if its on the bbc iplayer
bbc.co.uk/mob…rld

From 8 minutes in

Should be in episode two

Edited by: "Polly_P" 20th Mar 2011

Banned

always thought freddy is a cute name for a plant
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769221
    2. NoScript vanished from FireFox48
    3. Any Xbox One news today?2356167
    4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564088

See more discussions