Groups

Help.....Laptop not working!

Hi, I insalled windows updates whilst laptop was turning off. Later i turned the laptop on the screen came saying the laptop was unexpectedly turned off etc and press one of the options to continue. However when i press continue the computer just re-boots and the same screen appears.

I tried selecting all the options (safe mode, etc(can't remember the rest), but same thing happens- computer just reboots and the ame screen appears?

What is wrong? How can i get the laptop to start?

Thanks

14 Comments

This is a great deal, I'm going to head out to the shops right now and buy two!!!

Banned

Hi Mate,

First for the bad news, it sounds like to me that you have damaged a win32 file whilst in the update, Now the slightly better news it can be repaired do you have the orignal windows disk or was it on the laptop when bought?

Original Poster

MrNewman;7804766

This is a great deal, I'm going to head out to the shops right now and … This is a great deal, I'm going to head out to the shops right now and buy two!!!

What??? This is not funny. I need to turn on the laptop, i've got my dissertation on their.

MrNewman;7804766

This is a great deal, I'm going to head out to the shops right now and … This is a great deal, I'm going to head out to the shops right now and buy two!!!

What was that all about?

This is the correct place to ask questions, this isn't the deal section..:x

Banned

sounds like your going to have to do fresh install, have you anything on there you need

Do you have a Boot Disc? This might resolve the problem.

Original Poster

I've had the laptop for 4 years, but it did come with the windows disk. What do i need to do? Will the contents of the hard drive remain intact?

Thankyou

Original Poster

I've never re-installed windows, but yes i need files on the hard drive

tommy_1;7804839

I've never re-installed windows, but yes i need files on the hard drive

If you take it to someone with the right equipment and knoweldge they should be able to extract the files needed from you HD before the re-install/repair...I had a similar problem when I was at Uni. It can be done without a re-install but im not confident enought to suggest how

Put the disc in before you switch on the laptop, if the drawer wont open put a paperclip in the little hole on it to release it. Start the laptop and choose repair rather than installation. Hopefully this will fix the problem and you wont lose any files.

Check here for full procedure:
    michaelstevenstech.com/XPr…htm

This one has step by step instructions
    pcsupport.about.com/od/…htm

MrNewman;7804766

Nerd ! Incase you hadnt noticed this site is not just about deals, its also for helping people out, giving advice,sharing knowledge !!!:roll:

Banned

MrNewman;7804766

good first post...........................................[COLOR=red][SIZE=7]Not[/SIZE].[/COLOR]

RFC;7805939

good first … good first post...........................................[COLOR=red][SIZE=7]Not[/SIZE].[/COLOR]

:thumbsup: Here here !

Original Poster

Predikuesi;7804924

Put the disc in before you switch on the laptop, if the drawer wont open … Put the disc in before you switch on the laptop, if the drawer wont open put a paperclip in the little hole on it to release it. Start the laptop and choose repair rather than installation. Hopefully this will fix the problem and you wont lose any files.Check here for full procedure:http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htmThis one has step by step instructionshttp://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU.:-D:thumbsup::-D. Your a star, it worked a treat:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …201549
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?32157
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523423
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846300

See more discussions