Groups

HELPPPPPP with laptop stuff

what 'f' button is it that i need to press when my laptop is starting up as i need to wipe evryting clean on ma laptop as if it as like wen i bought it new, please help. thnks in advance

25 Comments

It should say on the start up screen, something like "press f? to enter recovery console" or something similar

Not all laptops can do it though, if yours can't you can always do a system restore to the earliest point available

Did your laptop come with recovery disks, if so you'll probably need to dig them out about now!

F8
    but it only works if your laptop has a recovery partition in your hard disk
    if you have the recovery disk, just slide it into the DVD drive as boot sequence usually prioritise DVD/CD drive

Original Poster

no iv done it twice before bt nt remember wat f button, evn gets rid of viruses, i jst need do it kos getin rid of it, sorry fr slang

Original Poster

i thote it was f8, tried it n sed reboot but it jst restarted ma comp

RedIron;3053407

It should say on the start up screen, something like "press f? to enter … It should say on the start up screen, something like "press f? to enter recovery console" or something similarNot all laptops can do it though, if yours can't you can always do a system restore to the earliest point available

God ur good! System restore huh, wots one of those then??:-D:p

oh no soz, can see how that could have come across - it was just a joke for redIron:thumbsup:

Edit: Where the post gone? the one I'm replyin to?

Original Poster

lol i deleted wen i realised twas a joke

hannah19790;3053431

God ur good! System restore huh, wots one of those then??:-D:p

No idea, shall I try it on my PC and see what it does? :whistling:

Original Poster

lol so no definate ansa? any1

hannah19790;3053451

oh no soz, can see how that could have come across - it was just a joke … oh no soz, can see how that could have come across - it was just a joke for redIron:thumbsup:Edit: Where the post gone? the one I'm replyin to?

A joke?

I don't understand was you being rude again?

RedIron;3053462

No idea, shall I try it on my PC and see what it does? :whistling:

give it a go........I do it all the time now u know:roll:

kamy187;3053472

You haven;'t given enough information for anyone to give a definite answer. Post the details of your laptop and we may be able to.

What's with all the text speak anyway? It's very annoying to read.

kamy187;3053472

Sorry, I've hijacked ur thread. RedIron knows wot he's talking about hun, how about the system restore he's on about?:thumbsup:

Original Poster

advent 7087 i tink, did a f button twice on it while bk n restored laptp to state when it was like wen i bought it

RedIron;3053474

A joke?I don't understand was you being rude again?

:oops: shhh:p

Ok, soz again, going now. Hop u get it sorted hun, night all x

kamy187;3053490

advent 7087 i tink, did a f button twice on it while bk n restored laptp … advent 7087 i tink, did a f button twice on it while bk n restored laptp to state when it was like wen i bought it

Keep pressin F10 thn, n try 2 use propa inglish in futa its v dificlt 4 us old ppl 2 read othawse

Original Poster

hannah19790;3053486

Sorry, I've hijacked ur thread. RedIron knows wot he's talking about hun, … Sorry, I've hijacked ur thread. RedIron knows wot he's talking about hun, how about the system restore he's on about?:thumbsup:

tis all gud, we are all bored

Original Poster

RedIron;3053501

Keep pressin F10 thn, n try 2 use propa inglish in futa its v dificlt 4 … Keep pressin F10 thn, n try 2 use propa inglish in futa its v dificlt 4 us old ppl 2 read othawse

apologies with the slang, use to it and quicker for me, this message took me ages to write, pfft

kamy187;3053504

apologies with the slang, use to it and quicker for me, this message took … apologies with the slang, use to it and quicker for me, this message took me ages to write, pfft

Lol it doesn't bother me really, i'm only 21 so can understand it. There's a lot of old people on here though who probably won't understand it though

F10 repeatedly is what you need to press though

Your Advent computer uses the latest recovery system that doesn't require … Your Advent computer uses the latest recovery system that doesn't require any CDs or DVDs to restore your PC to it's original factory condition.[LIST][*]There are two ways to start the recovery -[LIST][*]Restart your computer. Then Press F10 repeatedly until the message "Starting System Recovery" is displayed.[*]In Windows by clicking: Start / All Programs / System Recovery / System Recovery.[/LIST] [*]The recovery will load and display a box with one option:[LIST][*]Non-destructive recovery: this option will restore Windows, supplied applications, and drivers. This option will not destroy your documents or programs. These will be backed up along with the registry. These are restored at the end of the recovery process.[/LIST]To access the recovery options below that erase all data from the computer, click the Advanced button.[LIST][*]System Recovery - No format: this will reinstall Windows, supplied applications and drivers. It will move your files to a folder called "My old disk structure". Any applications (except those supplied) will need to be reinstalled.[*]System Recovery - Quick format: this option will erase your hard drive including your personal files. Windows, supplied applications and drivers will be reinstalled.[/LIST] [*]Select the Non-destructive recovery option and press Next.[*]You will be informed about System Restore in Windows, click Yes.[*]The recovery will begin. Once this is complete click Restart.[/LIST]

Original Poster

oooh me to, 21 but i feel sooooo old, thanks for that mr man

kamy187;3053544

oooh me to, 21 but i feel sooooo old, thanks for that mr man

Lol you feel old, your lucky, I look old;

I have gray hairs and a receding hair line :oops: but I still can't grow a full beard!

Did that (F10) work for you anyway?

RedIron;3053516

Your Advent computer uses the latest recovery system that doesn't require … Your Advent computer uses the latest recovery system that doesn't require any CDs or DVDs to restore your PC to it's original factory condition.There are two ways to start the recovery -Restart your computer. Then Press F10 repeatedly until the message "Starting System Recovery" is displayed. In Windows by clicking: Start / All Programs / System Recovery / System Recovery. The recovery will load and display a box with one option:Non-destructive recovery: this option will restore Windows, supplied applications, and drivers. This option will not destroy your documents or programs. These will be backed up along with the registry. These are restored at the end of the recovery process. To access the recovery options below that erase all data from the computer, click the Advanced button.System Recovery - No format: this will reinstall Windows, supplied applications and drivers. It will move your files to a folder called "My old disk structure". Any applications (except those supplied) will need to be reinstalled. System Recovery - Quick format: this option will erase your hard drive including your personal files. Windows, supplied applications and drivers will be reinstalled. Select the Non-destructive recovery option and press Next. You will be informed about System Restore in Windows, click Yes. The recovery will begin. Once this is complete click Restart.

I'm not sure that a "quick format" will totally erase your files ... Depending on how paranoid you are you might want to download a free file shredding program and wipe your disk first (don't use one of those that boots from a Floppy or CD or you might lose your recovery partition).

Edit: Another idea would be run the restore then run a shredder on the free space left

Original Poster

yh it wrked f10 mr ironred , dnt worry its the same with me,lol, were all getin old fast, thnks, hv sum rep

Of course somebody OLDER and wiser would have just rebooted pressing a different F key each time. Young uns... pfffft.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767129
      2. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1831
      3. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …2599
      4. TechInTheBasket?69

See more discussions