Help...trying to find the name of a biscuit I ate as a kid in the 80s!

Posted 10th MarEdited by:"theyiddo"
There was a biscuit I used to eat as a kid, and for the life of me, I can't remember its name. Hopefully if I describe it, one of my fellow HUKDers will know.

Anyway, it was a decent size - probably a bit bigger than a digestive, but it was an oval shape. The biscuit part was in a lattice/cross effect, and one side was coated in chocolate.

I think the name might have begun with a "B" or "D", and it was a short name - maybe 5 letters long (but my memory is not great - so don't quote me on that!)
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Well I just had a quick look on google and I think I put weight on.
We were too poor for chocolate biscuits. The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
33 Comments
my first thought was a chocolate dundee biscuit, but not quite sure now
You don't know who manufactured it? Might help narrow it down.

Whilst we're on biscuit nostalgia, wish Simmers would bring back their Coconut Biscuits (blue packet) - they still manufacture Abernethy, which are also great.
louiselouise10/03/2020 18:16

You don't know who manufactured it? Might help narrow it down.Whilst we're …You don't know who manufactured it? Might help narrow it down.Whilst we're on biscuit nostalgia, wish Simmers would bring back their Coconut Biscuits (blue packet) - they still manufacture Abernethy, which are also great.

Wish I could remember - I think the packet might have been mainly white, maybe with a bit of blue on it.
Sounds very much like a Dundee as said bu earlier post
I know exactly what you’re talking about

they’re very similar to them in those biscuit selection box things

I just don’t have any here right now to check the name
Jacobs Chocolate Lincolns or Polos?

40080789-HfPui.jpg
Can't get image of the Chocolate Lincolns, but like this one below.

40080789-a0aNh.jpg
a burton’s snap jacks ?
cecilmcroberts10/03/2020 18:52

Jacobs Chocolate Lincolns or Polos? [Image] Can't get image of the …Jacobs Chocolate Lincolns or Polos? [Image] Can't get image of the Chocolate Lincolns, but like this one below. [Image]

No.
I may have to try to draw them (oh dear!)
We were too poor for chocolate biscuits. The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
Some retro biscuit pictures here, might help? Had a quick scan but nothing as you describe. Might jog your memory though.

pinterest.co.uk/rai…ts/
Well I just had a quick look on google and I think I put weight on.
Just looking on google, could it be "Bandit"?
Bahlsen Leibniz
United
Trio
Taxi
Breakaway
OK they are all probably bars rather than biscuits
Edited by: "Zek" 10th Mar
Zek10/03/2020 19:29

Just looking on google, could it be "Bandit"?Bahlsen …Just looking on google, could it be "Bandit"?Bahlsen LeibnizUnitedTrio54321TaxiBreakawayOK they are all probably bars rather than biscuits

Oval/roundish shape....and it was definitely a biscuit rather than a bar.

I used to dunk them in my milk, so the biscuit side would go soft, and then when I'd eaten this all that was left was the chocolate!
Op, what sort of year are we talking about!??The ‘70’s?
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 10th Mar
Toptrumpet10/03/2020 20:09

Op, what sort of year are we talking about!??The ‘70’s?

It's in the title (80s). Think it would have been around 87 - 90.
Hacked10/03/2020 19:04

We were too poor for chocolate biscuits. The best we could manage was to …We were too poor for chocolate biscuits. The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

Damp cloth ? You were lucky
Edited by: "simonvf400" 11th Mar
Cadbury butter shorties?
Toffee Pops?
Hacked10/03/2020 19:04

We were too poor for chocolate biscuits. The best we could manage was to …We were too poor for chocolate biscuits. The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

Luxury!
louiselouise10/03/2020 18:16

You don't know who manufactured it? Might help narrow it down.Whilst we're …You don't know who manufactured it? Might help narrow it down.Whilst we're on biscuit nostalgia, wish Simmers would bring back their Coconut Biscuits (blue packet) - they still manufacture Abernethy, which are also great.

you just reminded me of my fav biscuits as a child - coconut crumbles (cream filling), think they were in mid blue packaging in two rows, can' t remember the company though, miss them
40084206-RWYqC.jpgdid it have fruit bits
40084236-lKNq4.jpg
Blue and white striped wrapper on the milk choc bars and red and white on the dark choc bars.
40084302-PS1fw.jpg
everyone I’ve asked, the first one that comes to mind was Dundee
Mendoza11/03/2020 16:22

everyone I’ve asked, the first one that comes to mind was Dundee

Afraid not. It was an oval shape, with the biscuit in a lattice/criss-crossed, and a layer of chocolate on the back of the biscuit. As the biscuit part was in a lattice/criss-cross, you could see the chocolate no matter what side of the biscuit you looked at.
theyiddo11/03/2020 16:53

Afraid not. It was an oval shape, with the biscuit in a …Afraid not. It was an oval shape, with the biscuit in a lattice/criss-crossed, and a layer of chocolate on the back of the biscuit. As the biscuit part was in a lattice/criss-cross, you could see the chocolate no matter what side of the biscuit you looked at.

what kind of texture was the biscuit?

like a shortbread, digestive, or something else?
Mendoza11/03/2020 17:37

what kind of texture was the biscuit?like a shortbread, digestive, or …what kind of texture was the biscuit?like a shortbread, digestive, or something else?

It was standard biscuit - the colour of a rich tea, with consistency/texture somewhere between that and a digestive I think.
michellefd2111/03/2020 10:44

[Image] did it have fruit bits

Oh wow, Fruit Jaspers, I loved those! (The orangey version). Sorry for going on a slight tangent..
I miss uniteds.
louiselouise11/03/2020 18:53

Oh wow, Fruit Jaspers, I loved those! (The orangey version). Sorry for …Oh wow, Fruit Jaspers, I loved those! (The orangey version). Sorry for going on a slight tangent..

If they were orangey you'd be going off on a slight tangerine
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants