Here’s a handy list of every myth about the European Union since 1992 - Mirror Online

Found 26th Oct 2017
Here’s a handy list of every myth about the European Union since 1992 - Mirror Online

Quote:
"The European Union has compiled a comprehensive, alphabetical list of every myth peddled about the European Union in the last quarter of a century, and how they were debunked.

From standardised condom sizes and a ban on corgis, to off-licenses being prohibited and ‘Made in Britain’ labels facing the axe, there’s no shortage of fanciful claims and scare stories.

And one by one, they’ve explained why the claims are bunkum, nonsense or exaggeration.

You can find the full list here - but here’s a few of our favourites.

1. The Queen’s corgis to be banned (2002)
2. Standardised Christmas Trees (1992)
3. Bombay Mix to be renamed Mumbai Mix (2006)
4. Cod no longer to be called cod (2001)
5. Condom sizes to be standardised (2000)
6. Prawn Cocktail crisps to be banned (1993)
7. All ‘.co.uk’ domains to be replaced by ‘.eu’ (2000)
8. EU plot to rename Trafalgar Square and Waterloo station because they upset the French (2003)
9. Milk jugs to be banned (2010)
10. Mushy peas to be outlawed (1995)

11. Barmaids to be banned from showing cleavage (2005)
12. Paddling pools deeper than 12 inches need a full-time lifeguard (1993)
13. EU tells women to hand in worn-out sex toys (2004)
14. Saucy postcards to be banned (1993)
"
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Banned
Imposed a Tampon tax
Wants to create an EU army
Democratically unelected representative can supersede national laws and create their own
Can impose taxes
Can flood areas and countries with refugees
Can hamper free trade of nation states
I home to over 450 million people all of whom are "ENTITLED" to move where they like when they like
Was opposed by Jeremy Corbyn as frree movment devlaues workers

Aw "Myths" I thought it said facts
11 Comments
Banned
Imposed a Tampon tax
Wants to create an EU army
Democratically unelected representative can supersede national laws and create their own
Can impose taxes
Can flood areas and countries with refugees
Can hamper free trade of nation states
I home to over 450 million people all of whom are "ENTITLED" to move where they like when they like
Was opposed by Jeremy Corbyn as frree movment devlaues workers

Aw "Myths" I thought it said facts
Banned
The Daily Mirror, thought thy would have been bust listening to missing children's mobile phone messages!
I'd never heard of any of those myths, perhaps just created for this story?? - the Mirror, the tabloid which is a bastion of facts ( hilarious ) is really reaching with this nonsense!
Graham197956 m ago

Imposed a Tampon taxWants to create an EU armyDemocratically unelected …Imposed a Tampon taxWants to create an EU armyDemocratically unelected representative can supersede national laws and create their ownCan impose taxes Can flood areas and countries with refugeesCan hamper free trade of nation statesI home to over 450 million people all of whom are "ENTITLED" to move where they like when they likeWas opposed by Jeremy Corbyn as frree movment devlaues workersAw "Myths" I thought it said facts

Want £6billion of any brexit settlement paid into the pot to boost their pensions

allow MEPs to claim £120000 a year in expenses without the need for proof of any kind . Then defends this by saying it would create too much work for the MEPs to provide proof.

Paid €5.25 m on a fleet of limos to ferry MEPs around Strasbourg

Paid the King of Sweden €1.6m to subsidise losses on his private farm

Paid €400000 to a company in Hungary for a dog rehabilitation and fitness centre .. Which was never built .

Invested €400m to increase the availability of pure water in Sicily .. The increase achieved was 4%..from 43% to 47% of houses getting purified water.
i prefer trumps myths myself much more hilarious

like his claim that parts of london are no go areas for the police

priceless
Must have been a slow day at the EU Commission for someone to build these straw men to knock down.
mattmerch2 h, 58 m ago

i prefer trumps myths myself much more hilariouslike his claim that parts …i prefer trumps myths myself much more hilariouslike his claim that parts of london are no go areas for the police priceless

Parts of the city by where I live are no go areas for the police, and I don't live in a massive city. Delivery drivers, taxis etc etc will refuse to go there and the police are only seen when called. It's also one of the wealthier cities in the UK.
directors of companies are dictators, are not democractically elected, have no electoral mandate, have no popular appeal, then why are they so good?
EU : Zero tariff and high national taxes to make up for no tariff incomes for trade between EU countries
or
Out of EU: WTO tariffs and low taxes as a result since tariffs would yield such gigantic amounts for the HMRC.

Just waiting for a politician to say on the news: WTO tariffs would bring in so much revenue that income tax high band could be dropped to 10%.
Predikuesi5 h, 1 m ago

Must have been a slow day at the EU Commission for someone to build these …Must have been a slow day at the EU Commission for someone to build these straw men to knock down.

But for this list to be a genuine straw man, it would have to be incorrect.
Is that list actually incorrect? I don't know, so am assuming you've done your research right?
The bar stewards outlawed the wrong shaped bananas!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants