Hermes not paying me compensation

Posted 15th May
Hi

I know Hermes are the worst courier out there but they have been cheap and reliable for me until recently.

I have sent quite a few parcels out in the last few weeks. Almost all have not been delivered or lost.

They are denying my compensation request because wired earphones are classed as an electronic item. I don’t think they are. What do you think?

Does anybody here have any direct email or number for their head office or uk based support?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
They are not clockwork.
I mean they need either a battery (wireless) or take the power from the device they are plugged into so yes they are an electronic item.
33 Comments
They are not clockwork.
I mean they need either a battery (wireless) or take the power from the device they are plugged into so yes they are an electronic item.
If there lost they should give you compensation whether it's electric or not.I really don't know why in this country we put up with these God awful companies! Keep persisting jamiesco don't let them get away with it.
Of course they are electronic
Ukguy10115/05/2020 21:36

If there lost they should give you compensation whether it's electric or …If there lost they should give you compensation whether it's electric or not.I really don't know why in this country we put up with these God awful companies! Keep persisting jamiesco don't let them get away with it.

They have a restriction list and electronics are on there, I sent liquids before and even though they can 100% tell they are liquid they happily accept as they know if anything does happen to the parcel, no compensation has to be paid. With Hermes you need to ensure that you either can take the loss or if not use a different company
They are electronic
I can’t see electronic or earphones on the list.
harvey.atkins15/05/2020 22:22

They have a restriction list and electronics are on there, I sent liquids …They have a restriction list and electronics are on there, I sent liquids before and even though they can 100% tell they are liquid they happily accept as they know if anything does happen to the parcel, no compensation has to be paid. With Hermes you need to ensure that you either can take the loss or if not use a different company

JamieSco15/05/2020 23:10

I can’t see electronic or earphones on the list.

Your right, what did you put in the item description, it says if you didn’t enter anything then you cannot claim, otherwise you should definitely push them and threaten to take it further
If you stay on their automated phone service for about 45 minutes, it puts you though to a person. This is the only reliable way I've managed to speak to anyone.

They won't pay out above the standard £20 for anythng that is on their restricted list, and you'll have to push to get that.
Edited by: "Krooner" 15th May
Delivery companies these days are approaching legalised crime imho, with Hermes being one of the very worst. It's list of exclusions is frankly ridiculous. It would be a much shorter list if they stated what items ARE covered.
For myself, I purchased a gaming laptop in December from ebay. Seller sent it using Hermes. Of course it didn't turn up and upon my checking and speaking to them, if you can call that horrendous online chat with a minimum 45 minutes wait nonsense they have speaking (seriously, why don't companies have phone operators anymore?!), it turned out they were sorry but they 'lost' it. No compensation, nil explanation, zero cares....a laptop, in a fairly large box, lost like it was a penny that slipped down the back of the sofa.
I felt really sorry for the seller who refunded me a not inconsiderable amount. Poor guy just didn't know how bad Hermes was. I'm sure that at least the delivery driver had a pleasant Christmas with his new laptop though.
Things do get lost, that's life, but I've heard many stories about Hermes to make me think it's simply theft, and with zero comeback. Cheap, but nasty company. Sad thing is that most delivery firms these days run an exclusion heavy business too. Makes selling on eBay a nightmare is it's a product with any value. Rant over.
If the wired earphones do not need a power supply to function (i.e. passive not active) it would be reasonable not to describe them as electronics.
If the earphones required power to function such as battery powered bluetooth models, it would be reasonable to describe them as electronics.
I would be quite comfortable asserting the above, although if not credibly challenged my tolerance to a debate would be short prior to initiating an LBA route.
hermes dont cover electronic?! I didn't even know that and have sent ~£50 item (paid extra for full cover) but alas, am descriptive when they as to specify 'content'of parcel. will have to look into it..

did you fill in the claim form and they responded in writing - or was all this done over the phone/chat link?
'Almost all have not been delivered or lost.'

What's happened to them if they haven't been delivered or lost?
I bet most of the parcels that are not insured are the ones that go ‘missing’
Are hifi speakers electric or electronic.

I would say they are electric, but they do have capacitors and inductors in the crossover, so maybe electronic, who knows
The major difference between the electrical and electronic devices is that the electrical devices convert the electrical energy into the other form of energy like heat, light, sound, etc. whereas the electronic device controls the flow of electrons for performing the particular task

So wired speakers just convert electricity into sound, they are not electronic.

Same with old light bulbs, electric drills, irons, heaters they are elerctircal not electronic.
lumsdot16/05/2020 06:48

...heaters they are elerctircal not electronic.

It's Hermes. The exclusion list also includes elerctircal items.
AndyRoyd16/05/2020 07:04

It's Hermes. The exclusion list also includes elerctircal items.

Are you sure? I don't see them on the list. "Kitchen appliances" are, but not electrical items as general category.

myhermes.co.uk/hel…de/
This is why i never use Hermes, they are useless at best thieves at worst. Sent a pair of headphones and an elite controller back to Amazon recently, both disappeared.
I only use Royal Mail (cheaper items), UPS and DHL.
Edited by: "Azwipe" 16th May
Azwipe16/05/2020 10:38

This is why i never use Hermes, they are useless at best thieves at worst. …This is why i never use Hermes, they are useless at best thieves at worst. Sent a pair of headphones and an elite controller back to Amazon recently, both disappeared.I only use Royal Mail (cheaper items), UPS and DHL.

My brother used to repair electronics in the service dept for a company that manufactured professional photographic equipment, he told me a couple of years ago or so that they'd had a package that had been rejected and returned damaged, it had been crushed and there was a lorry tyre mark across the box, yet the courier refused compensation on the grounds that the item was inadequately packed! Which would be true, if you are supposed to expect them to drive a ~44 tonne lorry over the box. That was either UPS or DHL, but I'm pretty sure he said UPS, so they all can be pretty bad.
Edited by: "melted" 16th May
melted16/05/2020 11:36

My brother used to repair electronics in the service dept for a company …My brother used to repair electronics in the service dept for a company that manufactured professional photographic equipment, he told me a couple of years ago or so that they'd had a package that had been rejected and returned damaged, it had been crushed and there was a lorry tyre mark across the box, yet the courier refused compensation on the grounds that the item was inadequately packed! Which would be true, if you are supposed to expect them to drive a ~44 tonne lorry over the box. That was either UPS or DHL, but I'm pretty sure he said UPS, so they all can be pretty bad.

I agree even the best companies make mistakes sometimes, problem is Hermes do it all the time.
Does anyone know if their awful service has ever been highlighted on the likes of Watchdog? Sent 12 parcels with them last month and 4 mysteriously “went missing”. Again, no compo as they were paint. Lost a lot of profit, def not using them again.
FayeCop16/05/2020 22:57

Does anyone know if their awful service has ever been highlighted on the …Does anyone know if their awful service has ever been highlighted on the likes of Watchdog? Sent 12 parcels with them last month and 4 mysteriously “went missing”. Again, no compo as they were paint. Lost a lot of profit, def not using them again.

I'm surprised that they took them at all - did you declare the contents? Paint isn't just excluded from compensation, it's prohibited from being sent at all.
Had a parcel sent from a big brand company, tracking says it’s been delivered but it hasn’t and I checked it on my cctv.....totally useless company
Avon77716/05/2020 02:38

Delivery companies these days are approaching legalised crime imho, with …Delivery companies these days are approaching legalised crime imho, with Hermes being one of the very worst. It's list of exclusions is frankly ridiculous. It would be a much shorter list if they stated what items ARE covered. For myself, I purchased a gaming laptop in December from ebay. Seller sent it using Hermes. Of course it didn't turn up and upon my checking and speaking to them, if you can call that horrendous online chat with a minimum 45 minutes wait nonsense they have speaking (seriously, why don't companies have phone operators anymore?!), it turned out they were sorry but they 'lost' it. No compensation, nil explanation, zero cares....a laptop, in a fairly large box, lost like it was a penny that slipped down the back of the sofa. I felt really sorry for the seller who refunded me a not inconsiderable amount. Poor guy just didn't know how bad Hermes was. I'm sure that at least the delivery driver had a pleasant Christmas with his new laptop though. Things do get lost, that's life, but I've heard many stories about Hermes to make me think it's simply theft, and with zero comeback. Cheap, but nasty company. Sad thing is that most delivery firms these days run an exclusion heavy business too. Makes selling on eBay a nightmare is it's a product with any value. Rant over.

Laptops are specifically excluded on their list, their restrictions are crazy!
Edited by: "jamie15" 17th May
They have the most vague exclusion ever included, which means they can decline to pay out anything: Items which can be exchanged by themselves or with any other item for money or goods or services

If you are sending a product with value (such as an eBay sale) this could hypothetically exclude it from compensation if I am reading this correctly (may not be).

I still send vast majority of my sales with Hermes because they are so much cheaper. They have only lost a few parcels of mine, the way I see it is the £2ish saving over Royal Mail makes it cheaper to send even if they lose a few packages and don't compensate. Especially with low value items, I rather Hermes lose a £10 parcel 1/50 times vs paying Royal Mail the extra £2 50 times (£100 extra cost).
jamie1517/05/2020 17:33

They have the most vague exclusion ever included, which means they can …They have the most vague exclusion ever included, which means they can decline to pay out anything: Items which can be exchanged by themselves or with any other item for money or goods or servicesIf you are sending a product with value (such as an eBay sale) this could hypothetically exclude it from compensation if I am reading this correctly (may not be).I still send vast majority of my sales with Hermes because they are so much cheaper. They have only lost a few parcels of mine, the way I see it is the £2ish saving over Royal Mail makes it cheaper to send even if they lose a few packages and don't compensate. Especially with low value items, I rather Hermes lose a £10 parcel 1/50 times vs paying Royal Mail the extra £2 50 times (£100 extra cost).

That exclusion is similar to the one for vouchers or cheques, but the extended wording is necessary to cover the peculiarities of certain financial products. It's not particularly unusual - Royal Mail themselves have the same exclusion, for example.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 17th May
Illusionary17/05/2020 17:49

That exclusion is similar to the one for vouchers or cheques, but the …That exclusion is similar to the one for vouchers or cheques, but the extended wording is necessary to cover the peculiarities of certain financial products. It's not particularly unusual - Royal Mail themselves have the same exclusion, for example.

Item which can be exchanged for money or goods and services = vast majority of products sent. Not that this will always be enforced for anything beyond the scope of things like vouchers and such (as you've described), but it certainly is very vague and allows Hermes to avoid the majority compensation claims if they desire.
jamie1517/05/2020 17:53

Item which can be exchanged for money or goods and services = vast …Item which can be exchanged for money or goods and services = vast majority of products sent. Not that this will always be enforced for anything beyond the scope of things like vouchers and such (as you've described), but it certainly is very vague and allows Hermes to avoid the majority compensation claims if they desire.

That's really not the intention, with either Hermes or Royal Mail, and wouldn't be legally enforceable if it were. eBay's Shutl (which often uses Hermes) explains it better by including a couple of examples: support.shutl.com/hc/…st-
Edited by: "Illusionary" 17th May
Illusionary17/05/2020 18:00

That's really not the intention, with either Hermes or Royal Mail, and …That's really not the intention, with either Hermes or Royal Mail, and wouldn't be legally enforceable if it were. eBay's Shutl (which often uses Hermes) explains it better by including a couple of examples: https://support.shutl.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360001381825-No-compensation-list-

I would hope it isn't legally enforceable, but it certainly could be used by them to avoid paying out (who would take them to court?). I just treat Hermes as sending without insurance.

Unfortunately Shutl is no longer used I used to use it all the time but now eBay moved to Packlink. Shutl CS was fantastic in paying out any Hermes claims, I had no complaints.
Edited by: "jamie15" 17th May
jamie1517/05/2020 18:03

I would hope it isn't legally enforceable, but it certainly could be used …I would hope it isn't legally enforceable, but it certainly could be used by them to avoid paying out (who would take them to court?). I just treat Hermes as sending without insurance.Unfortunately Shutl is no longer used I used to use it all the time but now eBay moved to Packlink. Shutl CS was fantastic in paying out any Hermes claims, I had no complaints.

Yep, I know about Shutl - I was just referencing them here as they include examples to explain what's meant by that exclusion and its very specific scope.
Illusionary17/05/2020 18:09

Yep, I know about Shutl - I was just referencing them here as they include …Yep, I know about Shutl - I was just referencing them here as they include examples to explain what's meant by that exclusion and its very specific scope.

Yeah understood. Hermes should really clarify on their website.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions