HGST HDDs were the best? Or they still are?

Posted 13th Dec 2019
Hitachi HGST use to make Ultrastar HDDs and were undisputed leaders. Servers Datacenter NAS...could handle anything.

WD had taken over HGST and ever since they seem to getting horrendous reviews online. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the quality of HGST Ultrastar HDD is getting very poor reviews?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Haven't ultrastar drives been nicknamed deathstar for years ?
m1keyp1key13/12/2019 17:14

Haven't ultrastar drives been nicknamed deathstar for years ?

Was that not IBM Deskstars before they sold to Hitachi??
Back blaze has thousands of drives running and reports on the annual failure rates. Stopped me buying Seagate!

extremetech.com/ext…ves
m1keyp1key13/12/2019 17:25

Quite possibly.

They were horrible drives with horrendous fail rates.
Failure rates might be correlated to reviews, but very loosely and you're not going to find out the % that way are you? Some people have figures for actual failure rates from their servers, which would be a bit like looking at the Driver Power survey for cars rather than looking at the out of five rating in an Autotrader mag.
The HGST drives mentioned in latest back blaze reports seem to be doing pretty fine:
backblaze.com/b2/…tml
HGST Ultrastar 3.5-Inch 2TB 7200RPM SAS 6Gbps 64MB Cache Internal Enterprise Bare or OEM Hard Drives (HUS723020ALS640) amazon.co.uk/dp/…ZK/
Looking at the reviews on Amazon UK with poor reviews vs Backblaze with best stats, only one can be true?
psychedelicrenegade13/12/2019 17:24

Was that not IBM Deskstars before they sold to Hitachi??

HGST deskstar is different range for desktop. Ultrastar is enterprise grade
emmkay13/12/2019 22:12

Looking at the reviews on Amazon UK with poor reviews vs Backblaze with …Looking at the reviews on Amazon UK with poor reviews vs Backblaze with best stats, only one can be true?

Reviews say they are 2013 drives, seller likely selling ones that have had been refurbed or SMART values changed to make it like new and problems are DoA mostly on those few reviews. That is 7k3000 and very old.

You'll prob want 7k6000 or newer or something
Edited by: "Myriad" 13th Dec 2019
Myriad13/12/2019 22:23

Reviews say they are 2013 drives, seller likely selling ones that have had …Reviews say they are 2013 drives, seller likely selling ones that have had been refurbed or SMART values changed to make it like new and problems are DoA mostly on those few reviews. That is 7k3000 and very old.You'll prob want 7k6000 or newer or something

Sorry posted wrong used disk link. If we search HGST ultrastar in Amazon, all results are low star rating. I would expect 4.9 star but none comes even close to 4. Backblaze suggests these are best. Something is not the same
emmkay14/12/2019 05:39

Sorry posted wrong used disk link. If we search HGST ultrastar in Amazon, …Sorry posted wrong used disk link. If we search HGST ultrastar in Amazon, all results are low star rating. I would expect 4.9 star but none comes even close to 4. Backblaze suggests these are best. Something is not the same

Backblaze records every failure and every successful drive running under a similar load.

Amazon reviews will be statistically skewed because:
- Amazon throw their HDs around without proper packaging half the time (maybe some brands are manufacturer packaged better than others)
- only a small proportion of Amazon buyers leave reviews
- Adhoc reviewers (rather than those who consistently review everything they buy good and bad) will tend to be those who have had a bad experience.

Amazon reviews are great for telling about the design of a product etc but not good for judging statistical failure rates.

Furthermore it’s the one thing I wouldn’t buy from Amazon - I would get it from Overclockers or somewhere that knows how to treat its HDs properly.
Edited by: "bluep" 14th Dec 2019
bluep14/12/2019 07:36

Backblaze records every failure and every successful drive running under a …Backblaze records every failure and every successful drive running under a similar load. Amazon reviews will be statistically skewed because:- Amazon throw their HDs around without proper packaging half the time (maybe some brands are manufacturer packaged better than others)- only a small proportion of Amazon buyers leave reviews- Adhoc reviewers (rather than those who consistently review everything they buy good and bad) will tend to be those who have had a bad experience.Amazon reviews are great for telling about the design of a product etc but not good for judging statistical failure rates.Furthermore it’s the one thing I wouldn’t buy from Amazon - I would get it from Overclockers or somewhere that kii no one how to treat its HDs properly.

True Amazon might be not same as dedicated pc hardware suppliers though this will be same for all brands of HDDs. So all should get poor reviews?

My conspiracy theory is (after?) buying of HGST, WD had taken the best technology from it and launched WD Gold HDDs. Now they are giving step motherly treatment to HGST Ultrastar range when it is dying slow death due to neglect. Dramatic description but you get the picture :/
emmkay14/12/2019 12:37

True Amazon might be not same as dedicated pc hardware suppliers though …True Amazon might be not same as dedicated pc hardware suppliers though this will be same for all brands of HDDs. So all should get poor reviews?My conspiracy theory is (after?) buying of HGST, WD had taken the best technology from it and launched WD Gold HDDs. Now they are giving step motherly treatment to HGST Ultrastar range when it is dying slow death due to neglect. Dramatic description but you get the picture :/

There might be a difference in how the manufacturers package the drives - ie if some brands are provided to amazon in retail packaging they would be better protected...and therefore less likely to have been damaged. I don’t know though - just guessing...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions