HGV Class 2 Driver

Posted 17th May
Hey HGV Experts/ et al, please can I pick your brain. Sorry if I sound dumb, but does anyone know any company (even agency) that can hire a new HGV 2 driver? I passed my test just in March 2020 and I’m really struggling to get a job. I live in SE London. Would you suggest I do the Class 1 or PCV? Anything to improve my chances of getting a job. I’m not really sure anymore TBH after spending thousands to get the license! Any thought will be highly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
I work as a trainer for sainsburys we currently are recruiting for our online business but currently only taking on drivers with previous larger vehicle experience. May be a good opportunity whilst the world sorts itself out. Several suitable stores in SE london and could be with a quick start date etc.
Try an agency, that’s what I did 20 years ago.
Just when you go to drive for someone don’t say you have just passed.
I took my class 1 afterwards and got work next day.
I passed my test in a ford flat bed with trailer.
Then drove and articulated lorry next day.
Was fun as had never driven one.
JamieBeveridge17/05/2020 19:32

I work as a trainer for sainsburys we currently are recruiting for our …I work as a trainer for sainsburys we currently are recruiting for our online business but currently only taking on drivers with previous larger vehicle experience. May be a good opportunity whilst the world sorts itself out. Several suitable stores in SE london and could be with a quick start date etc.

Do I stand a chance? Any link to the Sainsbury’s vacancies site. Just to give it a shot! Or any help from yourself will be appreciated.
An.dy17/05/2020 19:46

Do I stand a chance? Any link to the Sainsbury’s vacancies site. Just to g …Do I stand a chance? Any link to the Sainsbury’s vacancies site. Just to give it a shot! Or any help from yourself will be appreciated.

Which sainsburys would be your local supermarket? If its one of mine i can ask what positions there are
You’re too kind. I’m close to the one in Crayford/ Dartford/ Abbeywood/ Woolwich
JamieBeveridge17/05/2020 20:27

Which sainsburys would be your local supermarket? If its one of mine i can …Which sainsburys would be your local supermarket? If its one of mine i can ask what positions there are

You’re too kind. I’m close to the one in Crayford/ Dartford/ Abbeywood/ Woolwich
bigwheels17/05/2020 19:36

Try an agency, that’s what I did 20 years ago.Just when you go to drive f …Try an agency, that’s what I did 20 years ago.Just when you go to drive for someone don’t say you have just passed.I took my class 1 afterwards and got work next day.I passed my test in a ford flat bed with trailer.Then drove and articulated lorry next day.Was fun as had never driven one.

Thanks. Any suggestion of agency?
Crayford, pepper hill And charlton Riverside are all viable then. Im friends with the Online managers of all 3. You can apply on sainsburys recruitment site or drop into the store to speak to the online team there as there is often more/different hours available than whats listed on the website. Tough but valuable
Job atm driving our online vans. 12- 36 hours across the week. Can be a physical job with more involved around loading etc working at smaller stores than larger ones. The training team are currently unable
To see your driving in person atm hence needing larger vehicle experience. You would still need to interview and also pass a video call assessment with a member
Of my team. Stores i work with atm are sydenham, Eltham, locksbottom, warlingham, dulwich, purley way.
Edited by: "JamieBeveridge" 17th May
JamieBeveridge17/05/2020 20:40

Crayford, pepper hill And charlton Riverside are all viable then. Im …Crayford, pepper hill And charlton Riverside are all viable then. Im friends with the Online managers of all 3. You can apply on sainsburys recruitment site or drop into the store to speak to the online team there as there is often more/different hours available than whats listed on the website. Tough but valuableJob atm driving our online vans. 12- 36 hours across the week. Can be a physical job with more involved around loading etc working at smaller stores than larger ones. The training team are currently unableTo see your driving in person atm hence needing larger vehicle experience. You would still need to interview and also pass a video call assessment with a memberOf my team. Stores i work with atm are sydenham, Eltham, locksbottom, warlingham, dulwich, purley way.

Thanks
Companies make me laugh they want drivers with experience but you can't get no experience because nobody will take you on. You have to start somewhere.
MonkeyMan9017/05/2020 22:04

Companies make me laugh they want drivers with experience but you can't …Companies make me laugh they want drivers with experience but you can't get no experience because nobody will take you on. You have to start somewhere.

Understandable and usually we would take people with no van experience but also be able to assess train and coach them. At the moment in current climate the training team cannot do this so we require previous experience. Still only a car licence but need a moderate amount of previous driving experience with vans, larger vehicles in last 3 years. (Which you could have got personally not just through employment.)Its not unreasonable its risk management. My mum can driver her smart car and hasnt crashed in decades. Having trained 1800 sainsburys drivers id estimate she would crash one of our vans within the hour without the correct mix of experience/coaching and training.
Edited by: "JamieBeveridge" 17th May
An.dy17/05/2020 20:34

Thanks. Any suggestion of agency?

In Dingwall Road Croydon their was an agency not sure if it was reed, only have access to iPad and can’t use google view sorry.
Wha I did was call every agency I could find.
As stated above about vans, Amazon Hermes etc are desperate for drivers.
Not what you want but you would get experience.
The first Class 2 job I got was driving a dust cart.
The class 1 job was an agency in Peterborough, They put me with a trainer for 2 days, now wages.
Has assessed me, third day Off I went on my own.
I did one job for a certain client and after that all their clients would let me drive for them.
JamieBeveridge17/05/2020 23:25

Understandable and usually we would take people with no van experience but …Understandable and usually we would take people with no van experience but also be able to assess train and coach them. At the moment in current climate the training team cannot do this so we require previous experience. Still only a car licence but need a moderate amount of previous driving experience with vans, larger vehicles in last 3 years. (Which you could have got personally not just through employment.)Its not unreasonable its risk management. My mum can driver her smart car and hasnt crashed in decades. Having trained 1800 sainsburys drivers id estimate she would crash one of our vans within the hour without the correct mix of experience/coaching and training.

What training do you give to them ? Just tell them you need a wider turn to not mount pavement and practice reversing distances and watch front and rear end swings ?
I was shoved in a long wheelbase sprinter at 18 by one of my previous employers, I'd been driving about 14 months and had no problem driving it.
I guess the only people who wouldn't be able to drive it safely are people who shouldn't even be in a car
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions