Groups

Hi all what is the best Broadband deal at the moment

Hi all what is the best Broadband deal at the moment.
    I am wanting to leave Virgin,as my speed has been as slow as 60kbps every afternoon till well after midnight.I have emailed 4 times.Funny enough today when i got an email telling me my MAC CODE will be with me in 2 days,my speed goes back up to 3.5mb again.Pity they did not keep it like this.I was paying them for 8mb and phone calls £19.99 p/m.
    There was times I could not even get a web page to load as it was slower than a 56k moden.
    Virgin Sucks.

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK ARE THE BEST DEALS.

17 Comments

I reckon the best deal at the moment is ]O2 broadband's 8Mb deal for £12.50 (or just £7.50 if you're an O2 contract phone customer).

Btw, I'm with Virgin's 2Mb service @ £10/month for Bb only, & no speed problems.

P.S. Incidentally, Be (posted by Charlie&Lola below) is owned by O2

I'm on Be and I think it's great. I pay £18 per month for up to 24meg speeds, although it's an average of 12-13 meg which I still think is great, and it's unlimited downloads.

If speed isn't an issue, you can get 8meg for £14 per month, still unlimited. I've not noticed any reduction in speeds and they have a freephone customer service number

bethere.co.uk/

A lot will depend on whether you're exchange is unbundled (LLU) and the distance from it as to what is the best deal you can get. I am about 3KM from the exchange and have to settle for about 3.5MB still plenty for my needs. If you are not LLU then it could be expensive or capped heavily

so whats the best broadband for those in an area that is not LLU ?

Original Poster

My line says 5.1 mb,but the fastest i got with Virgin was 3.5mb,that was fine but every afternoon it was less than 4kb for 10 to 12 hours untill the small hours.
    There customers service sucks,They keep telling you to check with BT SPEED CHECK.

i pay 18 for 2mb with virgin, am i being ripped off much!!!! lol god i think i might give them a call!

if you have sky tv and sky have unbundled your exchange (and there's space left on the Dslam!) then for a 2 meg connection it's free!!! a fiver a month gets you up to 8 meg and a tenner gets you up to 16 meg.
    you stated that your current adsl line speed is 5.1meg - is this what your line 'syncs' with the exchange at? - if so, that is pretty much what i used to get pre-LLU, now on SKY's equipment, I get just below 8 meg constant and no throttling or packet shaping!

Original Poster

jayhab;1637468

if you have sky tv and sky have unbundled your exchange (and there's … if you have sky tv and sky have unbundled your exchange (and there's space left on the Dslam!) then for a 2 meg connection it's free!!! a fiver a month gets you up to 8 meg and a tenner gets you up to 16 meg.you stated that your current adsl line speed is 5.1meg - is this what your line 'syncs' with the exchange at? - if so, that is pretty much what i used to get pre-LLU, now on SKY's equipment, I get just below 8 meg constant and no throttling or packet shaping!

Hi What Sky Digital TV Package do you need,I just have the small £17 per month,does this alow me to get the 8mb for a fiver.Do they limit your monthly downloads.Plus what do i need to join sky broadband.?
    What about phone calls do they supply UK calls for free.?

The smallest pakage that you have is fine - they will tie you into another 12 month contract though. Yes they do a call package - all evening and weekend calls are free. On the 8 meg package, there is a supposed 40gig a month cap - however there have been no reports of ANYONE ever been penalised for going over it - and as per the Skyuser website (unofficial forum) there are some very heavy users!!! You will need to have had your exchange LLU'd (unbundled) to be able to get the 8meg for a fiver though.
    Follow this link: skyuser.co.uk/too…php
    and check to see if your exchange has been unbundled by Sky, if it has you can sign up online or give them a ring and they will be able to tell you if there is space available for your at the exchange - if there isn't, they will only be able to offer you rebranded BT broadband at £17 a month (don't go there!)
    So, check your exchange via that link and report back!

Original Poster

jayhab;1638043

The smallest pakage that you have is fine - they will tie you into … The smallest pakage that you have is fine - they will tie you into another 12 month contract though. Yes they do a call package - all evening and weekend calls are free. On the 8 meg package, there is a supposed 40gig a month cap - however there have been no reports of ANYONE ever been penalised for going over it - and as per the Skyuser website (unofficial forum) there are some very heavy users!!! You will need to have had your exchange LLU'd (unbundled) to be able to get the 8meg for a fiver though.Follow this link: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/tools/exchangechecker.phpand check to see if your exchange has been unbundled by Sky, if it has you can sign up online or give them a ring and they will be able to tell you if there is space available for your at the exchange - if there isn't, they will only be able to offer you rebranded BT broadband at £17 a month (don't go there!)So, check your exchange via that link and report back!

Hi thanks for your addvice it says i cant getexchange LLU'd (unbundled) ,i have to go to rebranded BT broadband

that's too bad! - unless you want to wait and see if sky unbundle your exchange in the coming months - but there is no certainty that they will!

are you a heavy downloader? could it be you were capped, because some companies cap you between 6pm and midnight if you don't abide by their fair usage policy...

I should know mines capped at thee moment between those times...

if you can get nildram in your area go for them.

I can't get them and i am looking for an isp similar to nildram that offer 25gb peak download a month and unlimited offpeak download... not having any joy yet... Going to cancel with orange tho, because it should be me who decides what i pay for and not them

Original Poster

Anyone on 02 my son just got a contract phone with them and i hear they give reduction for Broadband when you have there mobiles.
    Any info Please..

Original Poster

fwibble;1640081

are you a heavy downloader? could it be you were capped, because some … are you a heavy downloader? could it be you were capped, because some companies cap you between 6pm and midnight if you don't abide by their fair usage policy...I should know mines capped at thee moment between those times...if you can get nildram in your area go for them.I can't get them and i am looking for an isp similar to nildram that offer 25gb peak download a month and unlimited offpeak download... not having any joy yet... Going to cancel with orange tho, because it should be me who decides what i pay for and not them

Broadband Provider Speed Bandwidth Cost per month
    Nildram 8MB 0.25GB £13.99
    Nildram 8MB 2.5GB £15.99
    Nildram 8MB 10GB £19.99
    Nildram 8MB 25GB £24.99
    Dont seem that good...

just stay clear of aol...

I was with virgin and left because of speed issues (couldn't even use it some weekends it got so slow). Now with Be and it's fantastic. I'd look at the company first not the price.

coleraine;1642646

Anyone on 02 my son just got a contract phone with them and i hear they … Anyone on 02 my son just got a contract phone with them and i hear they give reduction for Broadband when you have there mobiles.Any info Please..

Again, i think your exchange has to be unbundled by 02 (be*) for you to take up their offer - the exchange search/checker in my previous post I think tells you about other ISPs too
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523461
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …285997
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416814130
      4. What is there free to do in your town?611

See more discussions