Expired

hi help needed... would it matter if patio doors have been hung with the inside unsealed beading on the outside.

Found 31st Dec 2013
Not sure that makes sense... I have double glazed patio doors which i know have been hung by the builder.... with the sealed beading side on the inside and the unsealed beading on the outside.. would this make a difference... i realise for security they should be hung the other way round... but would this cause any other problem... such as not being water tight??? hope someone out there can help... thanks S
Community Updates
15 Comments
The beading is usually on the outside.
looks like the wrong way round. ask them to rehung it?
thesaint

The beading is usually on the outside.

Are you sure? for security it should be on the inside, mine is anyways..
Don;tthink so, when i had the d/g installed in my previous house i went for internally glazed ( ie the slips on the inside) you are quite right this is good for security as it means windows / frames can only be removed from inside. My current propery is externally glazed, i assume this is because it was only a few yrs old when purchased and as the windows were installed as part of the development where done externally. Think you should be ok. As far as i know a lot of new builds are externally glazed as they don't get access to the property. If worried get an alarm or see if it's possible to swap them round, or change them
Edited by: "IWOOTN" 31st Dec 2013
Hi, I'm a glazier- I would assume your builder has fitted them properly, the beading cant come off from outside because of the rubber gasket on the inside putting pressure on the glass inside.
The only difference it makes is security if ur away somebody can take the window out from the outside that's it , has long has its not in view no one will notice
If the job has just been done, I would suggest the builder redoes the work properly. If it was done some time ago, there is a security issue as the beading can be removed quite easily allowing access to the property. An alternative option is to remove the beading and superglue it in using industrial strength superglue.
The Therapist

If the job has just been done, I would suggest the builder redoes the … If the job has just been done, I would suggest the builder redoes the work properly. If it was done some time ago, there is a security issue as the beading can be removed quite easily allowing access to the property. An alternative option is to remove the beading and superglue it in using industrial strength superglue.

did you not read my post? and my occupation? the beads cannot be removed from outside! And worst case - if they could- it would have double sided foam tape so the unit could not be removed. The unit would literally have to be smashed out.
SLIM_JIM

did you not read my post? and my occupation? the beads cannot be … did you not read my post? and my occupation? the beads cannot be removed from outside! And worst case - if they could- it would have double sided foam tape so the unit could not be removed. The unit would literally have to be smashed out.

No I didn't. Hope that answers your question.
SLIM_JIM

did you not read my post? and my occupation? the beads cannot be removed … did you not read my post? and my occupation? the beads cannot be removed from outside! And worst case - if they could- it would have double sided foam tape so the unit could not be removed. The unit would literally have to be smashed out.

Totaly agree,the weakest point is the toughened unit which they smash because it can't cut them.
SLIM_JIM

Hi, I'm a glazier- I would assume your builder has fitted them properly, … Hi, I'm a glazier- I would assume your builder has fitted them properly, the beading cant come off from outside because of the rubber gasket on the inside putting pressure on the glass inside.

Hi SLIM-JIM. thank you for your answer.. that is reassuring about the security side of things. my other problem is that i have water seeping out from the corner of the door ... on the plastic just below the glass panel... and wondered if water could actually get it from the unsealed beading. ... when it rained... there is no visible signs of water getting in anyway... but in there it is... and seeps out slowly over time ... making the water run along the frame work and seeping out at the ends making my walls wet.... very difficult to explain... but really just wondered could water get into the door frame via the beading? do hope you can help... as really need to have some amo... when calling the builder back... kindest regards S
Sorry kezwez, it's too hard to call without actually seeing it for real. You would have to get someone local to give their opinion. You could maybe phone a glaziers for a free quote if you've got any steamed up windows or any wooden frames that look as if they need replacing- and whilst they're there you could get there opinion-free gratis.
SLIM_JIM

Sorry kezwez, it's too hard to call without actually seeing it for real. … Sorry kezwez, it's too hard to call without actually seeing it for real. You would have to get someone local to give their opinion. You could maybe phone a glaziers for a free quote if you've got any steamed up windows or any wooden frames that look as if they need replacing- and whilst they're there you could get there opinion-free gratis.

Hi SLIM-JIM
sorry for the delay in replying... thanks for all your advice... i will be doing as you suggest...thank you for your time.. kindest regards
sounds like you have external security beading installed, pretty secure, not like the old days! and don't worry about water ingress, if water were indeed able to penetrate through the bead gasket into the door sash recess, there should be drainage holes already prepared
davelister30

sounds like you have external security beading installed, pretty secure, … sounds like you have external security beading installed, pretty secure, not like the old days! and don't worry about water ingress, if water were indeed able to penetrate through the bead gasket into the door sash recess, there should be drainage holes already prepared

I would think this was sorted 1 year and 7 months ago.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants