Groups
    EXPIRED

"Hi im dandoc2 and i have an addiction to hotukdeals and online spending"

Ive finally been able to admit it - i have an addiction to internet shopping and a bad one at that. So ive taken inniative - ive deleted my card details on all the sites i buy off
    *amazon
    *play
    *thehut
    *dvd.co.uk
    *ebay +paypal
    *hotukdeals
    *asda
    *tesco
    *itunes
    the list goes on
    and ive given my debit card to my mum so i cant buy anything online (apart from my tax disc)
    Now take this as a sort of experiment but i think it could help other people realise what they have.......an addiction.

My plan/experiment is every time i pop on here(incl for sale forums) or scour the net and see something that takes my fancy and seriously would buy im going to post on here a link - info price and why i want it --- and after the month of this experiment i will work out how much i have saved and how much i would of spent - im on a decent job earning around £26k a year and because i live with my parents i have no bills no mortgage no commitments and i think due to this lack of what and how to use money that i have a problem.

As i say this will be a month(until 20/2/09) starting from 7pm tonight 20th January and after that time whatever ive saved im going to donate 5% (not much but better than nothing ) to a selected charity chosen by you guys.

I am serious about this issue as looking back at my bank statements ive spent over £3000 on dvds and games in the past 2 months most of which are still sealed in my room.

So i hope you lot can back me on this and i hope to broaden the knowledge of internet addiction and show most of you that you probably have it and like me cant help it.

Thanks

Daniel

p.s please dont mock this im genuine about it

50 Comments

Original Poster

Saved for experiment starting 7pm Jan 20th (when i come home from work)
    http://www.ctna.org/images/under%20construction/uc_sign19.gif
    I actually cant believe this but just looked on the first page and i just saw wilkinson cheap games deal and without even realising it id clicked on and added dead spaceand dead rising to the basket - holy smokes - im going to bed now - remember everything i post on here if genuine stuff i would buy if i wasnt in this plight ( is that the right word?)
    I wouldnt just add random stuff

[COLOR="Red"]01:54 -- 20/01/09 -Wilkinson Plus
    Dead Rising Xbox 360 - £9.99 (I had dead rising and never completed it)
    Dead Space - £14.99 (dead space looks good)
    [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]18.51 -- 20/01/09- Play.com - Seen jaws but wouldnt mind having it to watch again
    Jaws 30th anniversary dvd - £3.99 (Seen jaws but wouldnt mind having it to watch again)
    Grid - Xbox 360 - £17.99 ( love racing games and ive heard its great)[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]18.55 -- 20/01/09 - Sendit
    Star Trek Next Generation Complete boxset dvd £39.89 (always wanted to watch the series again)[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Red"]19.24 - 20/01/09- the hut
    The Clangers series 1 £3.43 dvd ( remember it as a kid)
    [/COLOR]

21/01/2009 - 18.37 @shopto
    Ratatouille Xbox 360 game £7.98 (dunno why i just want it)[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]
    24/01/2009 -HMV.CO.UK
    James Blunt - Chasing time - bedlam sessions- £2.99[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]24/01/2009 - lovefilm
    Run Fatboy Run Blu ray - £8.94
    [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]24/01/2009 - sendit
    Doctor who - series 1 -£17.89[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]24/1/2009 - Play
    Honey i shrunk the kids - £2.99[/COLOR]

Running total =131.07

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/2621/waterboy2wt2.jpg

[COLOR="Purple"]go for it dandoc -fingers crossed[/COLOR]

charity i propose is R.N.I.B

or sightsavers international

lol, 26k and no bills to pay. Spend it while you can!!!

dan! how old are u! spend while u can my friend ur experiemt sounds like fun! im in my last year of uni and have blown all my loan and income oops the joys of living at hme

aimee

Dan, I think what she's trying to say is that if you have that amount of disposable income to blow on consumerist pap that you don't use, you may as well get yourself a girlfriend and blow it on her(nudge nudge). At least that way you'll be gettin a little sufin sufin, ya dig?

Good for you.
    Save as hard as you can, while you have a well paid job, try and get enough money for a deposit on a house/flat.
    No-one knows what will happen tomorrow, so save now while you can.
    Just ask yourself one question, How long do you want to be living with your Mum and Dad for?

Two people so far have said spend it while you can.
    You've tried that.
    You've got about £2000 worth of games and videos that are unopened. In two months.
    What a waste.
    Having loads of money at a young age with no commitments must seem like Heaven to most people, but I suspect you are starting to realise that that is not everything.
    Being young and having money is great, but you will be older for a lot longer than you are young.
    Spend your money wisely.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

What job do you do?

Good luck - thankfully I don't have a credit card....lol

SH

yeah good luck - i'm doing similar to you in stopping the spending - though i'm 33 and have kids so nowhere near the amount of spare cash! it is hard when you see a really good deal but I decided to book me and the kids a holiday and everytime I think I may spend on something silly that money has been going towards the holiday- so far so good, have managed to pay off £90 of it this month alone - good luck!

good luck! You can do it! I may actually follow your lead, i dont spend what i cant afford, which isnt much as a lone parent, however i think 5% of whatever i have saved is a fantastic idea! I only buy the things that I need rather than want, or things that I have been looking for for a while and they are now at a fantastic price! This site saved me over £700 at christmas so BIG BIG thanks to you all!!!!

suggested charities:

Bliss
    Tommys

Slightly biased here as my son was a micro preemie...

Banned

Spend - but save as well.

You dont want to live in your bedrrom all your life! :thumbsup:

Get earnings for a youngster - You've probably got more disposable income than I have! (My mortgage is paid off - but bills are pesky - as are those kids!!!!!)

deathtrap3000;4125899

What job do you do?

i want to know this too.

I thought you were like 19?:?

guv;4126153

Spend - but save as well.You dont want to live in your bedrrom all your … Spend - but save as well.You dont want to live in your bedrrom all your life! :thumbsup:Get earnings for a youngster - You've probably got more disposable income than I have! (My mortgage is paid off - but bills are pesky - as are those kids!!!!!)

I think save while you can is the best advice! He won't be living in his bedroom, he's just said he won't be buying stuff online for a while, I should imagine he'll still be going out!! I think it's a great idea, hope it all works out.

holy cow!!! thats alot to spend on pap!! but consumerism need people like you lolmaybe from now on match your saving to your spending ie £40 on a game £40 into a savings account under the matteress etc

But have fun while you live in your bedroom!! one day you will be like the rest of us bills mortgages etc etc etc :cry:

My charities are macmillan, and the guide dogs

Banned

sadly my charity begins at home, save wisely you wont always be young and earning without any responsibilities :thumbsup:

go out.

The only problem is, most of us on here know the details to our cards anyway, so even completely destroying them wouldnt help! When my parents are on the phone or something and need to know their card details they always ask me because its quicker than trying to find their purse/wallet!

I think this will be good for you, give you some time to use the stuff you already have but not used as well.

I would suggest the charity ]Woodlands Hospice, without who my grandad would not still be here. He goes there once a week (today!) and it has really kept him going. They are currently in the process of building a residential area which should be opened in about april so that people who have been benefiting from the daily support can go there when they get to the end and be cared for in a place they know by people they know.

However I know that not many people will of heard of this charity etc so cant see it being a popular choice, still wanted to mention it though as we feel that it has meant a lot more time with my grandad (he was given just 3 months to live in the first week of january 08)

Banned

aimz1986;4125863

dan! how old are u! spend while u can my friend ur experiemt sounds like … dan! how old are u! spend while u can my friend ur experiemt sounds like fun! im in my last year of uni and have blown all my loan and income oops the joys of living at hmeaimee

deathtrap3000;4125854

lol, 26k and no bills to pay. Spend it while you can!!!

LOL.... we can thank these guys for the position we are in at the moment... spend all you can now and then when you need the cash run to the banks for help.... o wait :-(

Goodluck Dandoc.... just spend more time in misc instead if you still want to go to the site

Congratulations on finding such a well-paying job, Dan. :thumbsup:
    But come on, spill the beans - what are you doing? It's not that long ago that you were on here asking what jobs you could do that didn't need loads of qualifications, or you didn't have to travel too far to, or that didn't involve too much work, for lots of money!!! I'm intrigued. :thinking:

BTW, great idea, re your op. My charity of choice would be any children's, cancer, or heart charities.

Agree with Kelly_O - you probs know your card details off by heart anyway. I do but don't know my mobile num! :lol:

Happy you're doing well anyway Dan & I vote for the ]MS Society x

Well done DD for making the effort to sort yourself out, I spend far too much on here too & I think I am one of the most disciplined people I know where spending is concerned (serious!) ... I think I will take your advice & delete my card details as it makes buying anything far too easy!!

Original Poster

aimz1986;4125863

dan! how old are u! spend while u can my friend ur experiemt sounds like … dan! how old are u! spend while u can my friend ur experiemt sounds like fun! im in my last year of uni and have blown all my loan and income oops the joys of living at hmeaimee

19 :-D going on 20 in july
    leefal;4125884

Dan, I think what she's trying to say is that if you have that amount of … Dan, I think what she's trying to say is that if you have that amount of disposable income to blow on consumerist pap that you don't use, you may as well get yourself a girlfriend and blow it on her(nudge nudge). At least that way you'll be gettin a little sufin sufin, ya dig?

If shes offering i live in london and single :thumbsup:

deathtrap3000;4125899

What job do you do?

work in the police as a pcso

dandoc2;4132454

19 :-D going on 20 in julyIf shes offering i live in london and single … 19 :-D going on 20 in julyIf shes offering i live in london and single :thumbsup:work in the police as a pcso

you get £26k a year by being a pcso??

WAH:w00t:???

You get £10,000 a year more as a PCSO in London than you do anywhere else?

Original Poster

stratomaster;4132488

you get £26k a year by being a pcso??WAH:w00t:???

yeh lol not bad for riding the buses all day
    donnydude;4132584

You get £10,000 a year more as a PCSO in London than you do anywhere else?

yer london wage allowance- locastion wage and shift allowance up to 28k if you work nights more

Hobby Bobby....how is the spud gun????

Original Poster

andy108uk;4139386

Hobby Bobby....how is the spud gun????

:x:x:x:x:x

Original Poster

nothings taken my fancy today

dandoc2;4159062

nothings taken my fancy today

Well done. I think the fix for this consumer obsession really is just to look at all that you've acquired. I've done the same thing myself recently with my guitars, and because of it, I haven't bought a new one in five weeks. I know this doesn't sound all that impressive, but my second-last guitar was bought three days previous, and third-last a couple of weeks previous. My third and fourth-last guitars will have been bought on the same day were it not for the latter seller being busy on the Friday and delaying until Sunday.

I still check Gumtree most nights, though.

Original Poster

couple of things bought ( virtually ) today running total atm is £128.08
    averaging at £32 a day spent - going at this rate would be around £1024 by next month

I bought the No7 beauty thing from boots yet I hardly ever wear make-up lol but it was a bargain and will make a good pressie if I decide not to become girlie :w00t:

"Admitting" is half the battle, good luck Buddy

I've just bought Ratatouille :oops: All your fault Dan! x

Banned

Hi.... my names guv....... in the past week Ive bought 2 16GB iPhones, 2 16GB iPod touch, and iSound / radio alarm / dock, a Zanussi Dishwasher, numerous iPhone accessories, 4 xmas hampers, 4 xbox games and not one of them went though Quidco.... Do I have a problem?

Original Poster

sadiebabes;4177139

I've just bought Ratatouille :oops: All your fault Dan! x

hey i didnt say i wasnt gunna post good deals i want to buy them all for a reason
    guv;4177169

Hi.... my names guv....... in the past week Ive bought 2 16GB iPhones, 2 … Hi.... my names guv....... in the past week Ive bought 2 16GB iPhones, 2 16GB iPod touch, and iSound / radio alarm / dock, a Zanussi Dishwasher, numerous iPhone accessories, 4 xmas hampers, 4 xbox games and not one of them went though Quidco.... Do I have a problem?

uhhh your bank might

Banned

dandoc2;4177591

uhhh your bank might

Nah. I'm minted. :thumbsup: Good deals... just couldn't turn them down!

Banned

dandoc2;4177591

uhhh your bank might

My bank is probably happier now (if they were sad).... my Zanussi Dishwasher has been cancelled! :cry:

guv;4202668

My bank is probably happier now (if they were sad).... my Zanussi … My bank is probably happier now (if they were sad).... my Zanussi Dishwasher has been cancelled! :cry:

Oh no, was that the one from the B&Q deal?

Banned

sadiebabes;4202763

Oh no, was that the one from the B&Q deal?

LOL... yup, that's the one. When the reports of still accepting orders were happening, I knew there'd be only one outcome. Yet more money for goods taken from my card I wont be getting!

At least I got my TVs from musthave100, so I cant really moan. So you win, some you lose.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What laptop to choose?11
      2. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??33
      3. Laptop screen backlight issue23
      4. Input Lag v Refresh rate on a TV..510

See more discussions