Expired

Hi, our miele vacuum cleaner has just stopped working. We've had it for 2 years next month. I'm wondering, do I contact Debenhams where we bought it, or miele? we have the 10 year warranty.

Found 24th Jan 2014
But according to the paperwork, the extended warranty doesn't start until next month. Any help would be great, and apologies if in wrong section.
Community Updates
10 Comments
contact miele
Best to contact Miele
I shall disagree. The two year warranty you had, when you bought the machine, was with the manufacturer, so, under the Sale of Goods Act the responsibility for a repair or replacement lies with the retailer.

If the fault had occurred after the two year period, the extended warranty would rest with the 'insurance company' that wrote the policy (Domestic and General?) - and you should contact them for repair or replacement.

Oh, and congratulations on having a miele product that has failed (Irony, Sarcasm? - you decide).
You can contact who you like ' manufacturer or supplier' its up to you not them. That's the law
Ive contacted Miele in the past and they have been fantastic. i'd try them first.
You can contact who you like ' manufacturer or supplier' its up to you not them. That's the law

No that is incorrect. Your contract is with the seller not the manufacturer.

which.co.uk/con…act
Contact miele they will have you up and running in no time and save the time going through a third party.
You will be best to contact Miele. Yes your contract was with the retailer but it is not the retailer who have given you a 2 year, 5 year or 10 year guarantee on the product. If your product had failed within the first 12 months then you could have returned the product to Debenhams for a refund or exchange. The retailer would only become responsible after the first 12 months if you had an issue with Miele.

In June 2011 I purchased a Ryobi drill from B & Q which came with a 2 years manufacture's warranty. In July 2012 one of the batteries failed and wouldn't charge. B & Q didn't want to know and gave me the customer service information from Ryobi. I pointed out to B & Q that my product came with a 2 year warranty and that my contract was with them and not the manufacturer. They agreed but said that under B & Q terms and conditions of sale they would only honour products for 12 months from date of purchase. I then asked if I have a problem with Ryobi what do I do then. Come back and see us and we will sort it they said. Confusing or what. To be fair to both parties I contacted Ryobi and they replaced the battery without question but I suggest you will have the same issue with Debenhams in that they will say they are only responsible for the first 12 months of the warranty.
Original Poster
Thank you to everyone for your replies. This is such a great site, with a lot of really helpful people. I think I will contact miele first, and see what they say. Too be honest I wasn't expecting it to break down so quickly, but I suppose it's like most things these days, they don't seem to be as well made, and people like us buy on past reputation. Anyway, thanks again everyone.
Dumbstruck

You can contact who you like ' manufacturer or supplier' its up to you … You can contact who you like ' manufacturer or supplier' its up to you not them. That's the lawNo that is incorrect. Your contract is with the seller not the manufacturer.http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Well i have many times
ive even contacted the 'manufacturer' with an item i got from Amazon warehouse and had a new replacement
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions