Hi people, Can you use cling film in a oven ?? it looked on the internet myself and getting differing answers... has anyone done it?

18 Comments
No. Don't do it!
Edited by: "mystogan12" 4th Apr 2016
No - generally it's melting point is 115 deg C and would contaminate the food.
Cling film meltsbetween 120 and 130 degrees C -around 260F, so you should NOT use it in the oven.
what did you want to use it for?
No, dumfranks85
Definitely not. In fact, a lot of cling film isn't suitable for microwaves or wrapping food. oO
Maverick77

what did you want to use it for?

to extract meat from a tin-can, its shown on a you-tube (video by a reputable company)... but my head strongly questioned it
chocci

Definitely not. In fact, a lot of cling film isn't suitable for … Definitely not. In fact, a lot of cling film isn't suitable for microwaves or wrapping food. oO

Oops Been microwaving baked beans like that for a while now oO
kester76

BEWARE THE CLING FILM

‘Do not allow cling wrap to come into direct contact with food when heating it,’ advises Cancer Research UK.

Experts at Johns Hopkins University in the US concur, warning that heating food covered with plastic can melt the plastic on to the food.

Of particular concern is cling film made from PVC, which contains hormone-disrupting phthalates, a chemical that keeps plastic soft. PVC cling film has been banned in America, but it is still in use in Europe.

‘If you’re heating a plate in the microwave, just cover it with another plate or a ch
I'm sure I've read on certain brands of cling film you can use it in the microwave.

kester76

I use one of these.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71IzDEG%2B1IL._SY355_.jpg
Oh my god
deb8z

I use one of these.

Lol, I think I'd opt for one of those. Never really thought of it as the cling film said it could be used in the microwave as a cover but it tends to fall into the food a lot.
deb8z

I'm sure I've read on certain brands of cling film you can use it in the … I'm sure I've read on certain brands of cling film you can use it in the microwave.

Correct, but it must clearly state microwave and food safe. In any case, cling film should never come into contact with food when heating.
chocci

Correct, but it must clearly state microwave and food safe. In any … Correct, but it must clearly state microwave and food safe. In any case, cling film should never come into contact with food when heating.

Indeed,but it's 30 years too late,when I was young this was always used to cover plates when you were in late for your evening meal etc and popped straight into the Microwave where you subsequently had to peel it off oO
Some of the things I've read have stated that if the clingfilm is in contact with the food it will never actually go above 100 °c and hence will not melt. I would imagine that the meat you have in contact with it in the tin will therefore keep it below the temperature. Why don't you just try it and tell us all your result :D.
deb8z

Indeed,but it's 30 years too late,when I was young this was always used … Indeed,but it's 30 years too late,when I was young this was always used to cover plates when you were in late for your evening meal etc and popped straight into the Microwave where you subsequently had to peel it off oO

And amazingly you are still alive and well I presume?
Donkii

And amazingly you are still alive and well I presume?

So far so good
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions