Hi there I was getting some work done

Posted 11th Feb
and needed pay for materials upfront as they won't be delivered till a few weeks, I have a debit car debit no credit card company us medium sized not to big . is it safer too pay buy bank transfer or debit card.i have applied for a credit card today but seems it will take 5-7 days before I can use it . could I use a friend's card for part payment from a credit card just worried as I have been having had luck recently with alot of stuff.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Debit card would be safer than bank transfer but no guarantee.
you would get chargeback protection if you pay by debit card as stated in the link below. paying by bank transfer will give no protection at all.

moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/…ard
mutley111/02/2020 22:24

you would get chargeback protection if you pay by debit card as stated in …you would get chargeback protection if you pay by debit card as stated in the link below. paying by bank transfer will give no protection at all.https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-youre-protected-when-you-pay-by-card

Am I allowed pay with a friend's credit card part payment will that be better or it doesn't cover it.
MynameisM11/02/2020 22:28

Am I allowed pay with a friend's credit card part payment will that be …Am I allowed pay with a friend's credit card part payment will that be better or it doesn't cover it.

the linked article below says that part payment by a credit card would still give you s75 protection for the whole purchase

moneysavingexpert.com/sho…es/

if the retailer is happy for the payment to be made on your friend's credit card. if the claim has to be done, your friend may have to do the claim as it is their credit card and the claim has to go through their credit card provider. it may be best if the receipt is billed to them.
Who are you paying upfront for the materials?
Just pay however you want, if you buy an item online you pay upfront and then receive said item. This is no different.

Do they except PayPal?
I assume you've already had the company checked out for their quality of work and their reputation? This isn't like something you buy from a shop where it might not turn up, this is the start of a contract between you and a builder (if building is the 'work' you're having done). If you have doubts that the goods won't arrive, why are you even starting this process?

When we had an extension done, we shopped around and got quotes and recommendations from as many sources as possible. Once we had settled on a place that had been in the business for years and always did a good job, the idea of being worried about paying upfront didn't really matter anymore.
I Would Question why your buying materials for the work, it's a big can of worms
Douglas_Birks12/02/2020 09:46

I Would Question why your buying materials for the work, it's a big can of …I Would Question why your buying materials for the work, it's a big can of worms

a lot of tradespeople will want you to pay for materials before they start work. they either ask you for a deposit so they can buy the materials themselves or that you pay for the materials. if they trust you then they will pay for the materials themselves without asking for a deposit but not all tradespeople will do this and not everyone will trust you.

depends on the materials in question and whether i trust the tradesman enough to pay the deposit, i sometimes prefer to get the materials myself.
mutley112/02/2020 10:55

a lot of tradespeople will want you to pay for materials before they start …a lot of tradespeople will want you to pay for materials before they start work. they either ask you for a deposit so they can buy the materials themselves or that you pay for the materials. if they trust you then they will pay for the materials themselves without asking for a deposit but not all tradespeople will do this and not everyone will trust you.depends on the materials in question and whether i trust the tradesman enough to pay the deposit, i sometimes prefer to get the materials myself.

Ive only ever been asked once to do that and he obviously didn't get the job from me, if he can't buy the materials then either he hasn't got the funds or can't organise himself enough to do it so I wouldn't trust his work, and no deposit has exchanged hands either before completion, if the op does go ahead I predict a lot of sleepless nights for them. It's a can of worms
Douglas_Birks12/02/2020 12:53

Ive only ever been asked once to do that and he obviously didn't get the …Ive only ever been asked once to do that and he obviously didn't get the job from me, if he can't buy the materials then either he hasn't got the funds or can't organise himself enough to do it so I wouldn't trust his work, and no deposit has exchanged hands either before completion, if the op does go ahead I predict a lot of sleepless nights for them. It's a can of worms

i have often had to pay a deposit or pay for the materials upfront. if the materials cost more than £100, most tradespeople i find will ask for a deposit. i think if you use a self employed trader, he is more likely to ask for a deposit as he doesn't want to buy the goods and then you cancel the job or you don't pay his bill when he completes the job.

i haven't had any issue with tradespeople where i have had to buy the materials upfront and i often choose to do this so i am in control of the materials and can choose what i want and source it cheaply, for example, buy it when it comes on sale before i instruct the work.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants