HID Lights - Illegal?

Found 5th Jul 2012
So.. Last thursday night i got pulled over by the police due to my headlights. Apparantly they're illegal because they werent fitted with the supporting kit that they should have been installed with.

I got £30 fine and was told that there is a new legislation in place as of the 1st of May which makes these lights illegal and that it is a MOT fail also.

I wasn't told to change the lights and show the car was 'roadworthy' again. and my fine stated that it was 'unauthorised lamps fitted'

The car had these lights when i bought it in November. They're white with a tint of blue, but are no way dazzling to other motorists or as bright as other lights i have seen on cars.

My argument is this - Surely if this new legislation came in place which makes these lights illegal and a MOT fails of that date, surtely this should be documented either on DVLA/Police/Directgov websites? Can they really impose a fine on something that isnt made aware to the public? Ive spoken to a few people and they have agreed that i should appeal the fine

Thoughts?
Community Updates
Misc
48 Comments
Banned
inb4 police corruption
I am assuming the HID lights don't have an automatic levelling system, how the cops found that out I don't know.

But yes, an MOT failure, I am sure they have been for a while to be honest.
dog_cop

inb4 police corruption

It does beg the question as to why the police are pulling people over for this yes.
dog_cop

inb4 police corruption

inb4 'inb4' idiots.

Oh wait....
Banned
I wonder how they can distinguish between HID lights and Xenon lights from a distance.
I've got custom fitted HID projectors on my motorbike, I've never had hassle from police about the lights - but I've had hassle from them about many other things.

TBH, from what I understand - they're illegal and I take them off and fit stock lights for MOT.
cejiogu1

I wonder how they can distinguish between HID lights and Xenon lights … I wonder how they can distinguish between HID lights and Xenon lights from a distance.

It surprised me to be honest looking at the video above, I didn't realise the beam scattered so much, thought it was simply a levelling thing, which I suppose it is also, I have some of the high end philips lights in my car and they are 100% legal, stupid people still flash me though.
Banned
aircanman

It surprised me to be honest looking at the video above, I didn't realise … It surprised me to be honest looking at the video above, I didn't realise the beam scattered so much, thought it was simply a levelling thing, which I suppose it is also, I have some of the high end philips lights in my car and they are 100% legal, stupid people still flash me though.

Lol, do you drive a boy racer car?
punkstoner1

your user name sums it up.if you want a car with these fitted, get a job … your user name sums it up.if you want a car with these fitted, get a job and by a car with them fitted as standard, rather than annoying other motorists and being a danger. stop wanting your car to look like something its not.saddo.

Why does his user name sum it up?

HID kits need to have autolevelling as when you come over a brow of a hill, the light dazzles oncoming drivers. Also needs to be in projectors and have a headlight washer system.
cejiogu1

Lol, do you drive a boy racer car?

Lol no not at all. But I do like good bulbs, like to see where I am going in the night. By philips I mean XTreme vision, so nothing that special.
Original Poster
punkstoner1

your user name sums it up.if you want a car with these fitted, get a job … your user name sums it up.if you want a car with these fitted, get a job and by a car with them fitted as standard, rather than annoying other motorists and being a danger. stop wanting your car to look like something its not.saddo.

Get over yourself son. Jog on
pulsex0r

Why does his user name sum it up?HID kits need to have autolevelling as … Why does his user name sum it up?HID kits need to have autolevelling as when you come over a brow of a hill, the light dazzles oncoming drivers. Also needs to be in projectors and have a headlight washer system.

The washer system is the funniest thing, on my old BMW's the thing would literally soak the whole car and do nothing to the lights.
Original Poster
pulsex0r

Why does his user name sum it up?HID kits need to have autolevelling as … Why does his user name sum it up?HID kits need to have autolevelling as when you come over a brow of a hill, the light dazzles oncoming drivers. Also needs to be in projectors and have a headlight washer system.

The cops did mention the washer system. I got the lights changed to the standard ones and even the mechanic was unaware of this new law. As was the MOT station when he contacted them.
aircanman

It surprised me to be honest looking at the video above, I didn't realise … It surprised me to be honest looking at the video above, I didn't realise the beam scattered so much, thought it was simply a levelling thing, which I suppose it is also, I have some of the high end philips lights in my car and they are 100% legal, stupid people still flash me though.

I'm guessing if people are flashing you then it's for a reason, i'm glad you like to see where your going, just at the expense of other drivers vision!
It's not a law as such. It's more like interpreting what they mean. It will only fail MOT due to the scatter pattern, unless you have them in projectors of course.
Original Poster
Thankfully i dont intend on driving near you on your unlit road eh?
I assume you have told your insurance company that the lights are modified? If not your insurance is also invalid. If you crash, or someone crashes into you the insurance company will not pay out if you have not told them about the modification
Banned
I knew these were illegal, so why didn't you? Ignorance will kill you.

I had to pull my LED side light as it has tint of blue after starting off white (was to save wattage on the electrics rather than looks). If your bulb has a tint of blue it's a fail.
Stop driving chavy little cars and get a decent car with Xenons.
jamesjamesjamesjamesjames

I'm guessing if people are flashing you then it's for a reason, i'm glad … I'm guessing if people are flashing you then it's for a reason, i'm glad you like to see where your going, just at the expense of other drivers vision!

Well the car had an MOT a week ago and beams tested fine, so it's just dumb motorists, possibly like you?
punkstoner1

Nah mate. YOU jog on.Should you drive towards me on the unlit roads near … Nah mate. YOU jog on.Should you drive towards me on the unlit roads near my house, I would push my left hand stalk forward and a nice blue light would illuminate on my dash, giving you a taste of your own medicine.Enjoy it

Sorry don't tell me you are a police person? - The way you comment on some threads I wouldn't trust you for one second.
Original Poster
If something comes into place recently, how are you supposed to know if theres nothing documented. Like i said, i checked the websites mentioned and couldnt see any information on it. We know about speed limits/tyre treads/seatbelts etc cos its documented.

A VW Passat is hardly a chavvy little car. Thanks.

Blue light on the dash generally means FULL BEAMWho said anything about … Blue light on the dash generally means FULL BEAMWho said anything about police lol. Do you actually have a driving licence?

LOL, Maybe that's why he's been dazzling folk
aircanman

Well the car had an MOT a week ago and beams tested fine, so it's just … Well the car had an MOT a week ago and beams tested fine, so it's just dumb motorists, possibly like you?

Wow, so i'm guessing a hit a nerve if you now start with insults.
If people are flashing it's because your lights are too bright - that is so simple I cannot explain it any clearer, how you think they are stupid for being blinded by you and you think it's acceptable whether legal or not amazes me.
It's unlikely I know but i've nearly hit drunk people walking down a roads in the night, cyclists without reflective gear, I hope for your sake you don't cause one of these 'idiots' to hit into someone or something.
punkstoner1

Blue light on the dash generally means FULL BEAMWho said anything about … Blue light on the dash generally means FULL BEAMWho said anything about police lol. Do you actually have a driving licence?As luck would have it, those that come it to contact with me professionally have no choice about the matter. If they do not trust me, then tough ****.

That's a funny looking dash board, last time I checked that was an instrument cluster? Believe me, if I didn't trust you I wouldn't deal with you.
Dip don't dazzle
punkstoner1

big man trolling on the internet. Jheeeze
Banned
How old are you OP?
jamesjamesjamesjamesjames

Wow, so i'm guessing a hit a nerve if you now start with insults.If … Wow, so i'm guessing a hit a nerve if you now start with insults.If people are flashing it's because your lights are too bright - that is so simple I cannot explain it any clearer, how you think they are stupid for being blinded by you and you think it's acceptable whether legal or not amazes me. It's unlikely I know but i've nearly hit drunk people walking down a roads in the night, cyclists without reflective gear, I hope for your sake you don't cause one of these 'idiots' to hit into someone or something.

Incorrect, when I had my legal standard hid lights the same amount of morons flashed me because they don't realise some lights are brighter than others. Live with it.
aircanman

Well the car had an MOT a week ago and beams tested fine, so it's just … Well the car had an MOT a week ago and beams tested fine, so it's just dumb motorists, possibly like you?

Possible explanations:

1. They just like to flash you for no reason apart from they are dumb.

2. Your lights although possibly legal are dazzling other drivers so they are drawing your attention to this, in the hope that most drivers with common sense would make alterations to not cause a possible accident on the road.
aircanman

I am assuming the HID lights don't have an automatic levelling system, … I am assuming the HID lights don't have an automatic levelling system, how the cops found that out I don't know. But yes, an MOT failure, I am sure they have been for a while to be honest.

Look under the car?
Original Poster
strike

big man trolling on the internet. Jheeeze

FYI - My username sums up that my name is arabic.
Banned
"I wasn't told to change the lights"
do they really have to tell you this before you get their point? Wasnt the fine an indication? oO
Banned
I've found cars who have had them fitted as standard still dazzle, they don't adjust the beam quick enough when hitting dips or hills in the road.
Original Poster

I wasn't told to change the lights and show the car was 'roadworthy' again. - Finish the whole sentence please. I would have thought they would have wanted me to show the car to show that i had changed the lights
simonturner69

Look under the car?

Is that how you check your lights?
Faiza

I wasn't told to change the lights and show the car was 'roadworthy' … I wasn't told to change the lights and show the car was 'roadworthy' again. - Finish the whole sentence please. I would have thought they would have wanted me to show the car to show that i had changed the lights

It depends, I was pulled over years ago when my private numberplate was spaced wrong, the policeman openly admitted he did not know the code to put on the ticket for me to go to the MOT station, so couldn't impose the £60 fine, so gave me the same £30 you got and told me it was illegal.
Faiza

FYI - My username sums up that my name is arabic.

Yeah you'll learn in time who the resident racists are.
It is rather silly of you to say you should have got a wee slap on the wrist and told to change it. Where does that line stop then? Going 40mph in a 30? Petty theft? Breaking in to a property? Where would you suggest the police stop the slap on the wrist tactic and start holding people responsible?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions