Higgins in snooker bribery scandal

Found 2nd May 2010
Wishaw wizard john higgins caught on film offering to throw frames for cash. Makes you wonder how much cash he and stave davis made last week.

newsoftheworld.co.uk/new…tml

145 Comments

What a greedy little scumbag, makes you wonder how much it goes on. Hope he gets banned for life.

Banned

That's going to end his career surely and possibly destroy snooker.

He wont be playing again thats for sure, you cant wriggle your way out of something like that, I wonder if Jimmy missing those blacks in the finals so many times........... nah...... not Jimmy !

Original Poster

master_chief;8506107

That's going to end his career surely and possibly destroy snooker.

yeah couldn't believe it, I suppose it's the equivalent of man u or chelsea getting caught rigging games. crazy stuff.

probably happens in many other sports not just snooker MBE as well? pfffttt these get given out like they are blue peter badges
hes got many millions why tarnish your career for 250k ish

Banned

I guess when the money fell out of the game you could see it coming but these stars are hardly paupers.

I can only think if someone of his stature in the game can do it then most are up to it.

If the few sponsors that are left decide to abandon the game then it might be curtains. He'll forever be known as John Higgins, the man who killed snooker.

I think there have been allegations of this kind before with Maguire & 1 or 2 more, don't know what happened...

Original Poster

I'm amazed that something this big in the snooker world still hasn't been picked up by the bbc or sky. It's remarkably quiet on that front.

ants97;8506131

I'm amazed that something this big in the snooker world still hasn't been … I'm amazed that something this big in the snooker world still hasn't been picked up by the bbc or sky. It's remarkably quiet on that front.

newsnow.co.uk/h/S…ker

Telegraph and a few other are onto it, itll be all over the country by tomorrow no doubt about it this is a big big story

He's not actually done anything, just had a verbal agreement, so, prob get slap on the wrist, dunno

Original Poster

iNSOMANiAC;8506136

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/SnookerTelegraph and a few other are … http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/SnookerTelegraph and a few other are onto it, itll be all over the country by tomorrow no doubt about it this is a big big story

yeah watching the video I'm still amazed at what he's doing. Just as snooker was maybe just maybe starting to get back on the right track to.

its the end of higgins as i know it D:

its not like he's desperate for the cash is he? hasnt he got enough cash from winnning tournaments?

Bri8463;8506144

He's not actually done anything, just had a verbal agreement, so, prob … He's not actually done anything, just had a verbal agreement, so, prob get slap on the wrist, dunno

He's agreed to throw 3 or 4 frames of snooker for money, he wont be getting 'a slap on the wrist' he has brought the game into disrepute and wont be playing in any major tournaments again for at least ten years Id say

It gets better because that bloke he's with is Pat Mooney, a director on the board on the World Billiards and Snooker Association

i am totally disgusted! cant believe he has done this! i even took the laptop up to hubby who is in bed to show him as i said earlier hubby loves sport and was watching snooker tonight for the nailbiter and now this!!!

Thats shocking :shock:

iNSOMANiAC;8506200

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Higgins_%28snooker_player%29

It's already been reverted (and I must add, if it was you that made the edits, it's a pretty childish thing to do..)

InfernoZeus;8506206

It's already been reverted (and I must add, if it was you that made the … It's already been reverted (and I must add, if it was you that made the edits, it's a pretty childish thing to do..)

Thanks for feeling you needed to add that, and no, it wasn't me but I agree with what was said

Banned

lets dangle a quarter of a million in front of someone to lose 1 frame out of a whole tournament (4 frames in 4 separate tournaments) ........ then stick it in the papers

how many people would do it?

Im a snooker fan since i was a young lad its my No 1 sport, and if they dont ban that corrupt **** for the rest of his career then it will be tainted for me forever. Probably though in this RIDICULOUS Politicly Correct country he wont get no justice served to him.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm The BBC are onto it now, although they are treading very carefully.

Banned

iNSOMANiAC;8506351

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8656637.stm The BBC are onto it now, … http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8656637.stm The BBC are onto it now, although they are treading very carefully.

of course....thats what happens after a notw story breaks on saturday nights

slowly slowly more jouranalists get hold of the story........its all allegations which is why they are "treading carefully" and they are just regurgitating the story from the notw article....which is the only source

standard journalism......wait for the chinese whispers

Ban him for life and take back any trophies, he doesn't deserve them. This sort of thing has happened before but not with such a big star, could be alot of trouble for snooker.

Why on earth would he do it for such a small amount of money? Alot of money to me but peanuts to him!!!

I'm genuinely shocked! Of all the people... Maguire I can imagine or maybe that shifty looking Williams but Higgins?!? :shock:

Banned

casparwhite;8506283

lets dangle a quarter of a million in front of someone to lose 1 frame … lets dangle a quarter of a million in front of someone to lose 1 frame out of a whole tournament (4 frames in 4 separate tournaments) ........ then stick it in the papershow many people would do it?.

You saying you would do it? Some people have no integrity.

Gonna take a few snookers to get out of that one.

After this sort of thing happening in various sports now it's very hard for me to believe anything is correct when it is just one person against another and not a team game.

greg_68;8506754

After this sort of thing happening in various sports now it's very hard … After this sort of thing happening in various sports now it's very hard for me to believe anything is correct when it is just one person against another and not a team game.

Goalkeeper can let a few in! And a few mistakes by any one player can turn a match, particularly football where one goal makes the difference.

What a greedy little...................:x

John Higgins has been suspended and mooney has resigned

Banned

iNSOMANiAC;8507807

Rightfully so. I gathered from the report on BBC that Mooney's trying to say they were intimidated?

To be honest I think the bookies are to blame (globally), I know a lot of the gambling is done in unregulated countries but why offer bets on individual frames? It makes no sense to gamble on that market unless there's a fix.

iNSOMANiAC;8507807

He needs to receive a lifetime ban aswell as some sort of serious fine and obviously when a sportsman gets found out taking drugs they receive a ban for a certain period and can be closely monitored when introduced back into their sport with drug tests etc, but with Higgins thats not possible he's proved he has no integrity so for the good of the sport he should be given the boot for good, the dirty wee ******:x

John Higgins speaks;

At the outset can I say that I have never been involved in any form of … At the outset can I say that I have never been involved in any form of snooker match fixing. In my Eighteen years playing professional snooker I have never deliberately missed a shot, never mind intentionally lost a frame or match. In all honesty I became very worried at the way the conversation developed in Kiev. When it was suggested that I throw frames in return for large sums of money I was really spooked and just wanted to get out of the hotel and onto the plane home.I didn't know if this was the Russian mafia or who we were dealing with. At that stage I felt the best course of action was just to play along with these guys and get out of Russia.Those who know me are aware of my love for snooker and the I would never do anything to damage the integrity of the sport I love. My Conscience is 100% clear

Not even man enough to admit he's been caught out 'id never do anything to damage the integrity' what a prize ****!

Banned

GQ Man;8508320

He needs to receive a lifetime ban aswell as some sort of serious fine … He needs to receive a lifetime ban aswell as some sort of serious fine and obviously when a sportsman gets found out taking drugs they receive a ban for a certain period and can be closely monitored when introduced back into their sport with drug tests etc, but with Higgins thats not possible he's proved he has no integrity so for the good of the sport he should be given the boot for good, the dirty wee ******:x

I'd go as far as to seek he repays his career winnings.
Scared because they thought it was the Russian Mafia? Give me a break!

Banned

iNSOMANiAC;8508454

John Higgins speaks;Not even man enough to admit he's been caught out 'id … John Higgins speaks;Not even man enough to admit he's been caught out 'id never do anything to damage the integrity' what a prize ****!

Looking at the transcript he certainly didn't act like he just wanted to get out of there. He seemed more worried with how he'd get away with it.

Banned

iNSOMANiAC;8508454

John Higgins speaks;Not even man enough to admit he's been caught out 'id … John Higgins speaks;Not even man enough to admit he's been caught out 'id never do anything to damage the integrity' what a prize ****!

IF what he says is true, why didn't he tell the police when he left the hotel? This was two days ago right?

Banned

JonnyTwoToes;8508483

IF what he says is true, why didn't he tell the police when he left the … IF what he says is true, why didn't he tell the police when he left the hotel? This was two days ago right?

Nobody is going to buy what he's saying. He's trying to save his career no matter what.
Post a comment
@
    Text