Groups

high mileage cars but fairly new?

Hi, I'm in the market for a new car. A Vw polo as my second car. I've seen some great used ones that are fairly new (11-13 plates) for a good price however most of them are high mileage around 70-100k most say that they are motorway miles. Should I steer away from these cars? As I am not sure if they would still be reliable engines? I would be doing around 10k on the clock each year. Is it worth buying a fairly new high mileage car?

17 Comments

Maybe

petrol or diesel? generally engines are meant to go for double that distance. have a Google for engine replacement cost if it's still cheaper than buying lower mileage then go for it. generally check it's been serviced and parts changed at appropriate time. a well maintained high mileage car would be better than a low mileage non looked after 1.

Original Poster

Probs be a petrol, I've looked at some engines on eBay prices are around £500 not sure how much it cost to change the old one out and replace it.

New but high mileage cars are the best used buys. Someone else has taken the depreciation hit so if you intend to keep them a while then they are great buys.

A car that does long journeys suffers far less than a car that does lots of short trips. They are running at warmed up temperature and on better roads. Cars that do pootling around towns are dealing with potholes/humps and often running cold.

My reservation would be the fact that you are looking at a Polo and that you arent actually looking at newish high mileage cars.
    I usually buy newish / high miles cars but larger models - typically 3 yr old with 100K miles. I've had volvo V70, Saab 95, bmw 3 series, audi a4 - all of which have been good buys. But they were cars that were high spec and the original owner will have chosen them for comfort and reliability. Do people buy a polo for high mileage driving?
    I'd want to be sure they are not ex-driving school cars.

No steer very clear as they are cheap for a very good reason
    Excluding the wear and tear on the engine gearbox and running gear there's the electrics and ancillaries which when they break could be expensive fixes

It depends if the car has been serviced and correctly looked after.
    Once past the 100k mark you get into the territory of expensive failures/replacements if proper maintenance hasn't been followed.

Personally I'd rather a low mileage old car over a high mileage new car if everything else was equal.

Look at what taxi drivers use - pretty much all Merc's, a couple of Toyotas, they will happily do high mileage and keep going, just make sure they have good service history.

I bought volvo v50 last year(2012 plate) with 120k on it. After a year I done 30k and still going strong

mas99

New but high mileage cars are the best used buys. Someone else has … New but high mileage cars are the best used buys. Someone else has taken the depreciation hit so if you intend to keep them a while then they are great buys.A car that does long journeys suffers far less than a car that does lots of short trips. They are running at warmed up temperature and on better roads. Cars that do pootling around towns are dealing with potholes/humps and often running cold.My reservation would be the fact that you are looking at a Polo and that you arent actually looking at newish high mileage cars. I usually buy newish / high miles cars but larger models - typically 3 yr old with 100K miles. I've had volvo V70, Saab 95, bmw 3 series, audi a4 - all of which have been good buys. But they were cars that were high spec and the original owner will have chosen them for comfort and reliability. Do people buy a polo for high mileage driving? I'd want to be sure they are not ex-driving school cars.

Agree with you, motorway mileage cars are usually better than town driven cars because , less stop/starting, less gear changes, smoother roads ;). Obviously it depends on the service history, that is probably more important on an high mileage car.

Engines are much better these days, I've seen diesel cars with over 500k on them, some petrols with over 300k and they've driven really well, you wouldn't know they've done the miles.

Small cars with high miles could have been learner driver cars.

Banned

good cars, they need to come with full service history tho. I'd no history then move away, miles will be hidden

sofiasar

good cars, they need to come with full service history tho. I'd no … good cars, they need to come with full service history tho. I'd no history then move away, miles will be hidden

How and why would an "high mileage car" hide miles?, You make no sense.

as long as its not a turbo engine, you have one less thing to worry about, if it goes, it could cost over thounand.
    i got a seat leon tsi with known vw problem with timing chain and turbo issue. any of these goes could cost over thousand, if out of warrenty.

I would rather have a high mileage new car than a low mileage old one.

low miles doesn't mean its been taken care of I bought once a fairly new car list half the price within year had to replace engine to sell n unguessed it right it was a Renault.
    only thing u need to worry about is timing belt a car at 130k miles with two timing belt changes us better than a car with 120k miles but one change. because second one is due.
    most need changing at 60/70k.
    I have had a Volvo s40 with over 300k miles on clock. my current 2005 transporter has over 220k with only 1.9 engine
    check service history against service history n stamps against receipts n u will be fine

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the useful information

Banned

shauneco

How and why would an "high mileage car" hide miles?, You make no sense.

​does it not ?? so say if a high motorway car owner has done 186,000 miles but claims 110,000 mile's on discribtion wouldn't you want to make sure it was genuine and warranted miles!
    iv sold so many cars mate, I'm on the ball !!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047163
      2. word association Game74044552
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767400
      4. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1527

See more discussions