High ping time until I reset router

Found 14th Feb
Hi I have the netgear r7000 router and about once or twice a day my ping time goes above 200ms which affects my iptv viewing. I have 3 cheap tp link switches running off it. Is it likely it could be the switches causing this? I’ve done a full factory reset of the router but still having the same problem. I live in a restaurant so have credit card machines/ tills etc running through the switches so it’s not as simple as remove the switches to test the setup without them as I need these running all the time
thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronics
32 Comments
Out of interest what was you attempting to watch?
Have you enabled QoS and given priority to steaming services?
RiverDragon88 m ago

Out of interest what was you attempting to watch?

Iptv but it’s definitely due to problems at my end not the prov
joedastudd7 m ago

Have you enabled QoS and given priority to steaming services?

I’ve done that in the past but it just seemed to make things worse. There must be something causing the ping times to go so high because if I reset the router it goes back to normal( 20-40ms)
could the switches be causing this or could it even be certain device on the network causing it? Also I have a switch plugged into another switch. Is that ok to do? Thanks
Uploading effects pings a lot so that may narrow down your troubleshooting. You didn't state your ISP but if it's Virgin Media then upload completely destroys it. SQM QOS helps big time. Bufferbloat causes large latency. You can test this easily by pinging google. Example "ping google.co.uk -t" and while that runs start a speed test at speedtest.net and watch the ping times. If they change a lot then we can help.

Otherwise it could faulty firmware.
Edited by: "rev6" 14th Feb
deleted1597344
No mention if the iptv is being streamed over WiFi, could be a wireless issue or do all devices suffer?
yes it happens to all devices both wires and wire
deleted1597344
Who is your ISP and what is your down/up speed? Certainly wouldn’t rule out either a faulty router or firmware especially as it’s Netgear.
deleted159734414th Feb

Who is your ISP and what is your down/up speed? Certainly wouldn’t rule o …Who is your ISP and what is your down/up speed? Certainly wouldn’t rule out either a faulty router or firmware especially as it’s Netgear.

Isp is daisy communications (business broadband)
download speed is around 13 and upload 1. I live in a rural location and that’s the best available. The problems with iptv and definitely related to the high ping time though not the speeds. Worked absolutely fine until I started getting these high ping times and works fine after I reset the router each time.
deleted1597344
I’ve never had good experiences with Daisy ... have you tried what was suggest by @rev6 ? If I had to make a guess at this point it would be something on the upload is saturating the line. Have you restarted your modem at all? Also have Daisy run any line test when this high ping is occurring?

And on another note why do you have a switch into a switch, are we talking 2x 5 port? And are they 10/100 or gigabit? I doubt this is the cause but not really best practice, can you not remove a switch from the equation?
As rev6 says step 1 is make sure firmware is latest. If no joy there then you might want to run something like wireshark to sniff what is happening at the time you get issues.
33266792-cpVO9.jpg
rev613 h, 10 m ago

Uploading effects pings a lot so that may narrow down your …Uploading effects pings a lot so that may narrow down your troubleshooting. You didn't state your ISP but if it's Virgin Media then upload completely destroys it. SQM QOS helps big time. Bufferbloat causes large latency. You can test this easily by pinging google. Example "ping google.co.uk -t" and while that runs start a speed test at www.speedtest.net and watch the ping times. If they change a lot then we can help.Otherwise it could faulty firmware.

Hi did what you suggested and those were the results. Thanks
howarth32 m ago

[Image] Hi did what you suggested and those were the results. Thanks

What are your pings when the test isn't running? Those pings are really bad.
rev613 m ago

What are your pings when the test isn't running? Those pings are really …What are your pings when the test isn't running? Those pings are really bad.

33266896-D1mZx.jpg
howarth34 m ago

[Image]

I'm assuming your network is idle during these pings? They're still high regardless. You say the pings are lower after rebooting the router, can you do that now and show the ping results? You do suffer big time with bufferbloat but appears it's not the only problem.
Edited by: "rev6" 15th Feb
You can sign-in (log-in) directly to the router admin interface and issue a ping from there (in mine it's in the Diagnostics menu). This will eliminate your internal network or PC as a source of the problem.
Details are usually printed on the bottom of the router.
rev612 m ago

I'm assuming your network is idle during these pings? They're still high …I'm assuming your network is idle during these pings? They're still high regardless. You say the pings are lower after rebooting the router, can you do that now and show the ping results? You do suffer big time with bufferbloat but appears it's not the only problem.

33266998-gGjIJ.jpg
howarth35 m ago

[Image]

Sorry for all the questions, but do you have an ISP modem, that connects to the R7000?

These results are great. Thanks. We need to narrow down the cause. It could be a rogue device or software that takes a bit to reconnect that's causing it. Or it could be your ISP. Or router. Firstly, I would see how long it takes for the pings to get worse. If it's a few minutes then it might be easier to diagnose. Obviously there's a ton of other things that you could do to try sort it out but that's how I would do it.
chchd110 m ago

You can sign-in (log-in) directly to the router admin interface and issue …You can sign-in (log-in) directly to the router admin interface and issue a ping from there (in mine it's in the Diagnostics menu). This will eliminate your internal network or PC as a source of the problem.Details are usually printed on the bottom of the router.

Since the pings go from great, to poor, (or vice versa when rebooting the router) while testing on the PC, we can probably eliminate it.
rev63 m ago

Sorry for all the questions, but do you have an ISP modem, that connects …Sorry for all the questions, but do you have an ISP modem, that connects to the R7000?These results are great. Thanks. We need to narrow down the cause. It could be a rogue device or software that takes a bit to reconnect that's causing it. Or it could be your ISP. Or router. Firstly, I would see how long it takes for the pings to get worse. If it's a few minutes then it might be easier to diagonose.

Hi yes I have a bt modem that the router connects to. Just done another ping test which seems to be a lot more inconsistent with the other 233267065-zxG4g.jpg
howarth33 m ago

Hi yes I have a bt modem that the router connects to. Just done another …Hi yes I have a bt modem that the router connects to. Just done another ping test which seems to be a lot more inconsistent with the other 2[Image]

Those pings are all over the place. Are you able to stop everything connecting to the router (but 1 of course)? Or disable WiFi, unplug devices? This will eliminate rogue device.
rev61 m ago

Those pings are all over the place. Are you able to stop everything …Those pings are all over the place. Are you able to stop everything connecting to the router (but 1 of course)? Or disable WiFi, unplug devices? This will eliminate rogue device.

So dissconect everything apart from the pc and do another ping test yes?
howarth325 s ago

So dissconect everything apart from the pc and do another ping test yes?

Yes please.
rev67 m ago

Yes please.

33267149-9yguT.jpgOk that’s with just the pc connected and WiFi off Assuming this means we have a faulty device somewhere?
howarth33 m ago

[Image] Ok that’s with just the pc connected and WiFi off Assuming this m …[Image] Ok that’s with just the pc connected and WiFi off Assuming this means we have a faulty device somewhere?

Very much so. I would connect things one at a time. Slowly. To determine which is causing it. While keeping an eye on the ping results.
rev655 s ago

Very much so. I would connect things one at a time. Slowly. To determine …Very much so. I would connect things one at a time. Slowly. To determine which is causing it. While keeping an eye on the ping results.

Ok I’ll try that and let you know how it goes.
thanks very much for your time. Appreciate it
howarth37 m ago

Ok I’ll try that and let you know how it goes.thanks very much for your t …Ok I’ll try that and let you know how it goes.thanks very much for your time. Appreciate it

Sorry I’m back already ha. Turned the WiFi back on and pings went high again. I was expecting it to be one of the wired devices such as a switch to be causing the problem. Is it likely to be a certain wifi device or the wifi as a whole would you think?
howarth317 m ago

Sorry I’m back already ha. Turned the WiFi back on and pings went high a …Sorry I’m back already ha. Turned the WiFi back on and pings went high again. I was expecting it to be one of the wired devices such as a switch to be causing the problem. Is it likely to be a certain wifi device or the wifi as a whole would you think?

What's connecting via WiFi? I doubt it's WiFi in general, it certainly shouldn't be. You should be able to see what's connecting in the routers page. 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, etc.

I was also thinking you should try pinging the modem from the router but not sure of the address. My modem page is accessed via 192.168.100.1 but it's probably different to yours.

Example:

33267330-dDI1j.jpg
rev61 h, 37 m ago

What's connecting via WiFi? I doubt it's WiFi in general, it certainly …What's connecting via WiFi? I doubt it's WiFi in general, it certainly shouldn't be. You should be able to see what's connecting in the routers page. 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, etc.I was also thinking you should try pinging the modem from the router but not sure of the address. My modem page is accessed via 192.168.100.1 but it's probably different to yours.Example:[Image]

Is there any way of finding out the ip of the modem do you know?
howarth31 h, 18 m ago

Is there any way of finding out the ip of the modem do you know?

Do you know the model?
33273727-RB8Xm.jpg
rev615th Feb

Do you know the model?

howarth351 m ago

[Image]

Did you try pinging 192.168.1.100?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants