High street stores/ companies you think might be gone by the end of 2020?

Found 25th FebEdited by:"reindeer333"
Just interested to see everyone's opinions. An example might be WH Smith, which always seems to be quiet when I go in there, and the few people purchasing items just seem to be buying newspapers etc..

Just to clarify, this discussion is the closure of whole companies, not just one specific store (e.g I think Waitrose in Southampton is going to shut down because I saw some chavs in there the other day).

Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Kfc very quiet lol
60 Comments
Wish i had a time machine to confirm this
Game (again)
Original Poster
Bestard1 m ago

Game (again)

Again!!??
WH Smith
Maplin
Kfc very quiet lol
Also, HMV (again)
Banned
HUKD will be gone by 2020, swallowed by a huge multinational.

I never understand how WH Smith has kept going, prices are always much higher than competition. Same with Boots, which is only kept going by leaching from the NHS.

Maplin is on the way out, again sky high prices.
Homebase. Absolutely awful.
Games Workshop stores.
The number of neckbeards playing tabletop war games at the nearest one seems to have decreased noticeably.
Shopping Mall Sky Kiosks, If the stars align.
Game for sure.
House of Frasers
Forbidden planet unless they sort out pricing.
Maplin is almost a certainty.
Debenhams is on a shoogly peg.
HMV will need a miracle to not disappear.
Curry’s May have limited physical competition but they’ll find it tough.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 25th Feb
Oneday7742 m ago

Shopping Mall Sky Kiosks, If the stars align. Game for sure. House of …Shopping Mall Sky Kiosks, If the stars align. Game for sure. House of FrasersForbidden planet unless they sort out pricing. Maplin is almost a certainty. Debenhams is on a shoogly peg. HMV will need a miracle to not disappear. Curry’s May have limited physical competition but they’ll find it tough.

Shop that beats them all is Poundland lol
Game hopefully
Depends what you mean i agree with GAME but things like HMV have such a pedigree behind thrm the name would be snapped up and continued in some way same for whsmith.

Toysrus and i think maybe greggs as I've seen a lot of rivals springing up lately and co op aswell i think
Menkind

We have just had a new store open in the White Rose centre (leeds) just before Christmas (I think) took the place of the closed down Curry's

I went there yesterday and it's gone already!
I believe it is clueless parents keeping GAME afloat. I go in now and again to laugh at the prices but there is always parents in there buying their kid a £50 game which can be got online for £15!

The odd time I have even had a quiet word with them letting them know where they can get it cheaper
We have a Game store in the same centre.. but there is also a CEX that just opened.. can't see Game lasting very long in there! unless they have something really cheap I can buy and trade at CEX for more
wholeheartedly agree about WHSmith, they can't seem to make their mind up about what the store is. Overpriced stationary, less selection of books everytime I go and shop space being taken up with post office it seems.

never visit my local when over six months the fiction and science fiction section went from several bookshelves to a single one, with rubbish just taking up the empty space.

also when you have two shelves for science fiction how many sales do you make when one and a half are made up of game of thrones books by themselves. Most people will have bought them by now I imagine
It's far cheaper to buy new release Hard backs at Asda/Tesco etc ... they're usually around the £7-£9 range whereas WHS have them full price ... never paid full price for a book ever...
Holland and barrett the one where i am never has customers in and the two staff are just window watching all day
Pink_Yoshi_Rebel_Army25th Feb

I believe it is clueless parents keeping GAME afloat. I go in now and …I believe it is clueless parents keeping GAME afloat. I go in now and again to laugh at the prices but there is always parents in there buying their kid a £50 game which can be got online for £15!The odd time I have even had a quiet word with them letting them know where they can get it cheaper

where?
_Rappy_9 m ago

Holland and barrett the one where i am never has customers in and the two …Holland and barrett the one where i am never has customers in and the two staff are just window watching all day

Ours is busy enough they opened a second. Despite being 50% more expensive for pretty much everything they sell. Bloody vegans.

I don't think it will be dead, but I think Sainsbury's could be on it's last legs. It does nothing well. It's expensive, inconvenient, grubby, dark and low quality all at once.

New Look. That's sure due to die a death, the over priced ill sized Primark that it is.
Graham19792 h, 23 m ago

Maplin is on the way out, again sky high prices.

...not helped by way too pushy sales staff, even worse than Currys/PCworld. I went in one to look at PC cases about a year ago, within 2 minutes I had 3 "can I help you sir"s before I got fed up and walked out.
_Rappy_11 m ago

where?

Base
ShopTo
Coolshop
The Game Collection
Simply Games
365 Games

If you must have the game as quickly as possible and have Amazon Prime then you get it through your letterbox the very next day!
Time will tell, until then, all shall be well
Waterstones, too expensive compared to Amazon, although it’s much easier to browse books physically than online.

WH Smiths - overpriced again.

Hawkins Bazaar - sells nothing you can’t find online at half the price

Game - they just deserve it. Horrible shop with horrible pricing policies. Any shop that won’t match its own online price can do one.

On the plus side, when these all close down the staff can get delivery jobs as we’ll be ordering so much more online.
MSK.32 m ago

Ours is busy enough they opened a second. Despite being 50% more …Ours is busy enough they opened a second. Despite being 50% more expensive for pretty much everything they sell. Bloody vegans.I don't think it will be dead, but I think Sainsbury's could be on it's last legs. It does nothing well. It's expensive, inconvenient, grubby, dark and low quality all at once.New Look. That's sure due to die a death, the over priced ill sized Primark that it is.

Sainsbury's - Pre-tax profits over £500m in each of the last 2 years and a current market capitalisation of £5.6b.

2017/18 forecast.

33328363-biEcB.jpg
Poundworld. I didn't mind them selling a few premium items at more than a quid but it's most of the store now, and most of it isn't even cheaper than other stores.
Saturn4 m ago

Sainsbury's - Pre-tax profits over £500m in each of the last 2 years and a …Sainsbury's - Pre-tax profits over £500m in each of the last 2 years and a current market capitalisation of £5.6b.2017/18 forecast.[Image]

That make be. But it is not growing as fast as it used to be. What do you find that Sainsbury's do well?
MSK.11 m ago

That make be. But it is not growing as fast as it used to be. What do …That make be. But it is not growing as fast as it used to be. What do you find that Sainsbury's do well?

A delivery most Fridays with an agreeable mix of quality and decent value for a standard weekly shop. Decent wine selection, and covers most needs apart from a few special occasions such as Christmas and Birthdays etc. Supermarket profitability can be erratic, but a solid company in a sector that has been performing relatively well in challenging and austere times. Integrating Argos and fast delivery systems will only help support sustainable growth.
I think some of the major charity shops, especially Oxfam, will disappear as the charities seek ways to survive the losses they are going to encounter over the next few years.
Rubisco55 m ago

Poundworld. I didn't mind them selling a few premium items at more than a …Poundworld. I didn't mind them selling a few premium items at more than a quid but it's most of the store now, and most of it isn't even cheaper than other stores.

I agree i went in once and couldn't believe what you could get for a pound i bought 3 metal waste paper bins as needed them £1 each been back to get more for this year and they were £3.99 each and nearly everything in poundworld was over a pound. I also think poundland wont last much longer tho most things are still a pound i just think these type of stores have had its day very poorly run stores i know because i have family running one. homebargains and B&M are much better stores and i honestly think poundland poundworld are trying to be those type of stores now.
Saturn2 h, 11 m ago

A delivery most Fridays with an agreeable mix of quality and decent value …A delivery most Fridays with an agreeable mix of quality and decent value for a standard weekly shop. Decent wine selection, and covers most needs apart from a few special occasions such as Christmas and Birthdays etc. Supermarket profitability can be erratic, but a solid company in a sector that has been performing relatively well in challenging and austere times. Integrating Argos and fast delivery systems will only help support sustainable growth.

Really, quality and value? I guess we will have to differ on that point. They are often the most expensive for everything I buy. But I am not a loyal online shopper like yourself.

I was quite worried for Argos, Sainsbury's have a track record of killing off click and collect, their mobiles business etc. I was concerned they would do the same with Argos. But it doesn't seem to be going too badly at the moment.
Edited by: "MSK." 25th Feb
deleted1416210
GAME and Debenhams
It may be a growing market since the demise of Woolworths, but there seems to be far too many competing discount stores. Of those I've been in locally, Wilko looks the ropiest.
Give the struggling high street stores the same tax advantages of Apple , Amazon, Starbucks , Facebook etc Let them pay about 3% tax to make it a level playing field
Segata-Sanshiro4 h, 3 m ago

i think maybe greggs as I've seen a lot of rivals springing up lately and …i think maybe greggs as I've seen a lot of rivals springing up lately and co op aswell i think

I'm sure I read somewhere that Greggs are expanding, but whether that will last till 2020 is another matter
you cant knock a company that's apparently sells 5 sausage rolls every second ......
I did read that Poundland is in trouble - owned by a south African consortium apparently - since buying out
the 99p stores they have taken a big dip in profits
Edited by: "Alfsmum" 25th Feb
Alfsmum14 m ago

I'm sure I read somewhere that Greggs are expanding, but whether that will …I'm sure I read somewhere that Greggs are expanding, but whether that will last till 2020 is another matteryou cant knock a company that's apparently sells 5 sausage rolls every second ......I did read that Poundland is in trouble - owned by a south African consortium apparently - since buying out the 99p stores they have taken a big dip in profits

I think theres too many of them, if they get serious competition they may calapse faster then they can shut excess stores, the things seem to be everywhere and dead outside of the lunch time trade
Coffee chains are going to have to cut back. Way to many and charging silly money for strong bitter coffee. The fad has got to come to an end. Drive through coffee reminders me of drinking on a roller coater videos. I just don't get it? What do I know I guess, as they seem to be popping up around me. Maybe folks don't know what a kettle is... Maybe drive through bowls of soup will be the next big thing
Edited by: "wayners" 25th Feb
Segata-Sanshiro37 m ago

I think theres too many of them, if they get serious competition they may …I think theres too many of them, if they get serious competition they may calapse faster then they can shut excess stores, the things seem to be everywhere and dead outside of the lunch time trade

Maybe high streets will go back to the way they were some years back, with small independent shops rather than the same
countrywide identical high streets so you don't know if you're in Edinburgh or Eastbourne
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions