Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)

Found 2nd Jul 2017
I've been driving over 20 years now and it would appear that indicators and the usage of them have almost been totally phased out.

I regularly drive on the motorway.
Cars in the left lane at the roundabout above the motorway do not indicate to go left.
(it's not a left turn only lane)
When exiting the slip road to join the motorway very few vehicles use the indicator to enter the motorway.
Those that do usually give it two flashes as if it costs £1 a flash.

Right turning at traffic lights.. We were one of four cars.. We were the only one indicating.

Not sure what's happening..

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

People are inconsiderate **** sums it up quite well.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/97/44/35/974435c21665d5af236d477b6c694801.jpg

You've been driving 20 years and you've only just noticed this? Indicators are an optional extra on cars where I live. As is an mot, insurance, a driving licence etc.
81 Comments

People are inconsiderate **** sums it up quite well.

It should be made an offence like in the US but like most instances of bad, inconsiderate or dangerous driving we haven't enough resources to catch them and issue fines or court action.

I've got footage of untaxed and/or uninsured or RLJ or using a mobile whilst driving and Nottinghamshire Police don't want to know and you'd of thought they'd prefer to have peoples assistance in catching law breakers

Drivers joining a motorway from a slip road aren't really a major issue given that it's obvious what they are going to be doing.
The rest I agree with.

philphil61

It should be made an offence like in the US but like most instances of … It should be made an offence like in the US but like most instances of bad, inconsiderate or dangerous driving we haven't enough resources to catch them and issue fines or court action.I've got footage of untaxed and/or uninsured or RLJ or using a mobile whilst driving and Nottinghamshire Police don't want to know and you'd of thought they'd prefer to have peoples assistance in catching law breakers

How can you have video footage of untaxed or uninsured drivers?

Destard2 m ago

Drivers joining a motorway from a slip road aren't really a major issue …Drivers joining a motorway from a slip road aren't really a major issue given that it's obvious what they are going to be doing.The rest I agree with.

When they learn to adjust their speed to join the motorway it will be nice, rather than expecting the traffic on the motorway to adjust for them.

shadey12

When they learn to adjust their speed to join the motorway it will be … When they learn to adjust their speed to join the motorway it will be nice, rather than expecting the traffic on the motorway to adjust for them.

I agree with this.
I've often seen drivers assuming theyll be let in by those in the near side lane.
That said, you do get some cretins that don't like to let people join the motorway

Original Poster

philphil6112 m ago

It should be made an offence like in the US but like most instances of …It should be made an offence like in the US but like most instances of bad, inconsiderate or dangerous driving we haven't enough resources to catch them and issue fines or court action.I've got footage of untaxed and/or uninsured or RLJ or using a mobile whilst driving and Nottinghamshire Police don't want to know and you'd of thought they'd prefer to have peoples assistance in catching law breakers

Notts Police complaints.

​By email: Email our Professional Standards Directorate. This is the team that records complaints and determines who should investigate the matter, the priority being to resolve your complaint with you. Email psd@nottinghamshire.pnn.police.uk

nottinghamshire.police.uk/com…nts

They WILL get back to you..

Original Poster

Destard10 m ago

​You use an App that tells you.. Police are not the only Jedi's with mystical powers you know..

Full MOT history etc on some apps..
You know that smashed up wing mirror that failed then passed but is still smashed up.
Edited by: "Dawsy" 2nd Jul 2017

philphil61

It should be made an offence like in the US

It is already illegal in the event of an accident.

Original Poster

georgiepee6 m ago

It is already illegal in the event of an accident.

Yeah but proving it will be difficult without a good angle on a dash cam..

You've been driving 20 years and you've only just noticed this? Indicators are an optional extra on cars where I live. As is an mot, insurance, a driving licence etc.

philphil61

It should be made an offence like in the US but like most instances of … It should be made an offence like in the US but like most instances of bad, inconsiderate or dangerous driving we haven't enough resources to catch them and issue fines or court action.I've got footage of untaxed and/or uninsured or RLJ or using a mobile whilst driving and Nottinghamshire Police don't want to know and you'd of thought they'd prefer to have peoples assistance in catching law breakers

They WILL get back to you

Yes sure they will! by next century? decade or year?

Have already had my complaint passed on by Paddy Tipping direct to Professional Standards Directorate
Didn't hear anything
Did a follow up email a month later
Still nothing
Made a phone call to Notts Police HQ Professional Standards Directorate office the other day
A note has been put on my file and directed to the relevant individual to contact me
That was over a week ago and guess what?

Yes nothing, not a call, not an email nothing, nada, nicht

Destard

Sometimes drivers make it obvious they want their 15 mins of fame and when you check their regd via the insurance database or DVLA the additional "offences" show up

vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
ownvehicle.askmid.com/
Edited by: "philphil61" 2nd Jul 2017

I think dashcams are mandatory for anyone who drives normally.

These are quite good (bad)
youtube.com/wat…NwU

There are so many people who do not indicate when they turn or overtake. This should become a penalty like running a red light. I always indicate

psychobitchfromhell

You've been driving 20 years and you've only just noticed this? … You've been driving 20 years and you've only just noticed this? Indicators are an optional extra on cars where I live. As is an mot, insurance, a driving licence etc.

Especially BMW, Audi and Mercedes vehicles

philphil61

Funny you should mention that. I would also include vw's but I drive one so I can't.

Original Poster

philphil614 m ago

​I thought they HAD to sign a disclaimer saying the must never use an indicator else be forbidden from ever owning that brand again.

Dawsy

I thought they HAD to sign a disclaimer saying the must never use an … I thought they HAD to sign a disclaimer saying the must never use an indicator else be forbidden from ever owning that brand again.

The disclaimer also includes speed, lane hogging and cutting in

or did you miss those bits when you read it?

splatsplatsplat

I think dashcams are mandatory for anyone who drives normally.These are … I think dashcams are mandatory for anyone who drives normally.These are quite good (bad)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtuxxs2mNwU

A dashcam is almost essential these days.
Morons who try cutting you up aggressively or who are looking for a fight often calm down when you tap the device on your windscreen.

Destard

A dashcam is almost essential these days.Morons who try cutting you up … A dashcam is almost essential these days.Morons who try cutting you up aggressively or who are looking for a fight often calm down when you tap the device on your windscreen.

Unless you are a Ronnie Pickering or a cyclist who opens his mouth trying to police rather than just recording and cycling on as per the link below
youtube.com/wat…aus

driving standards now are terrible, around our way they spent millions on the A1 adding extra lanes and muppets go straight into the middle lane and the new on is empty. Local paper did a piece and few comments about m its a bad designed road, no it's not people just can't drive.
Edited by: "eslick" 2nd Jul 2017

Solution.
http://i.imgur.com/YvmW84g.gif

splatsplatsplat

I think dashcams are mandatory for anyone who drives normally.These are … I think dashcams are mandatory for anyone who drives normally.These are quite good (bad)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtuxxs2mNwU

tht last idiot got what he deserved, too many people drive like idiots.

Wongy11018 m ago

Solution. [Image]

​That thought has actually crossed my mind, especially with the number of arrogant, ignorant taxis drivers close to where I live. Would like to get a tank and drive it along the whole rank full of taxis!

philphil612 h, 56 m ago

Unless you are a Ronnie Pickering or a cyclist who opens his mouth trying …Unless you are a Ronnie Pickering or a cyclist who opens his mouth trying to police rather than just recording and cycling on as per the link below

He didn't really need to get that confrontational. A simple knock on the window, phone gesture and point to camera and ride off laughing.

90% of drivers dont know how to use a hand brake either; I can be sat in a queue of 20+ cars, waiting for over 5 minutes* at a major road works, and EVERY fcuker except me will be sat on their brakes.

*Seriously, I timed it last week, it was actually nearer 6 1/2 minutes as I didnt note the exact time the traffic stopped, just took it from the digits ticking over on the dashboard clock.

As for the Police taking their time; I got run off the road by a Walls lorry a few years back; I got the reg AND witness names, address's and phone numbers, called the fuzz, and they got back to me ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ a year later, claiming the witness phone numbers werent valid.

(Yes they were, I called the witness's to check).

AFAIK, NOTHING was actually done, as I never got another reply from them.

Wongy110

Solution.

What good's that going to do?
The fault lies within the driver - not the car! Should be the driver that gets crushed by the tank.

I will admit i may have forgotten to indicate whilst taking a left turn and made a lairy bloke crossing in my path shout summat like i.n.d.i.c.a.t.o.r.s. really loud and slowly lol. He wasn't to know i had temporary brake failure seconds earlier soon after driving through a massive puddle. I know it's wrong but it did make me giggle.

Gentle_Giant1 h, 0 m ago

90% of drivers dont know how to use a hand brake either; I can be sat in a …90% of drivers dont know how to use a hand brake either; I can be sat in a queue of 20+ cars, waiting for over 5 minutes* at a major road works, and EVERY fcuker except me will be sat on their brakes.*Seriously, I timed it last week, it was actually nearer 6 1/2 minutes as I didnt note the exact time the traffic stopped, just took it from the digits ticking over on the dashboard clock.As for the Police taking their time; I got run off the road by a Walls lorry a few years back; I got the reg AND witness names, address's and phone numbers, called the fuzz, and they got back to me ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ a year later, claiming the witness phone numbers werent valid.(Yes they were, I called the witness's to check).AFAIK, NOTHING was actually done, as I never got another reply from them.

I dont use the hand brake because i struggle with it as i cant lift it. Lol. I sit on the brakes with the clutch depressed. Hurts my knees if i am forever moving in slow traffic, so our next car will be an automatic

mutley1

I dont use the hand brake because i struggle with it as i cant lift it. … I dont use the hand brake because i struggle with it as i cant lift it. Lol. I sit on the brakes with the clutch depressed. Hurts my knees if i am forever moving in slow traffic, so our next car will be an automatic

smh

Indicators are an optional extra on Audi cars

mutley1

I dont use the hand brake because i struggle with it as i cant lift it. … I dont use the hand brake because i struggle with it as i cant lift it. Lol.

lol

CookinBat

I will admit i may have forgotten to indicate whilst taking a left turn … I will admit i may have forgotten to indicate whilst taking a left turn and made a lairy bloke crossing in my path shout summat like i.n.d.i.c.a.t.o.r.s. really loud and slowly lol. He wasn't to know i had temporary brake failure seconds earlier soon after driving through a massive puddle. I know it's wrong but it did make me giggle.

so you didnt indicate, nearly hit a guy and splashed him with a puddle?

what car do you drive?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/97/44/35/974435c21665d5af236d477b6c694801.jpg

Dawsy

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09I've been driving over 20 years now … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09I've been driving over 20 years now \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09

Lucky you. Try enduring it as a pedestrian. Not indicating and cutting the corner on the wrong side of the road is my personal favorite. It happens all day long here.

I'd say not knowing which side of the road you are supposed to be on is even worse.

Dawsy

\x09I've been driving over 20 years now....

...and typing at the same time.

Tut tut.

Don't you ever get tired?

shadey12

When they learn to adjust their speed to join the motorway it will be … When they learn to adjust their speed to join the motorway it will be nice, rather than expecting the traffic on the motorway to adjust for them.

Christ! There's nothing worse than being stuck behind someone doing 30mph as they attempt to join the motorway from a slip-road!

In relation to the op's initial thoughts, I totally agree. Just as annoying, I find though, are those drivers who indicate, but then leave their indicators on for 5 miles!

I think drivers who don't indicate when turning left to let a pedestrian know whether it's safe to cross over the road are the worst.

I can feel your frustration/anger OP.
Nothing peaches me off more than a driver who feels he doesn't need to indicate on the roads. They are just arrogant lazy sobs or they are driving around without licenses. I am more on the unlicensed side. If you ever took driving lessons and a driving test, you would have learnt about indicating.

There's a reason why cars have indicators FFS! You use it to tell other drivers what you are going to do on the roads. If I come across anyone who doesn't indicate and change lanes dangerously, I give them a loud blast of my horn.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions