hillarys blinds overpriced?

Found 18th Dec 2015
Hi people im looking for some new blinds but ive got an appointment coming up with hillarys.
Are they average priced or are they over priced?
Are they a company to stay away from?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
AskBlinds
30 Comments
Hi, I found them to be over priced, had a quote around a month ago, for conservatory blinds and one for the living room window, chose mid range blinds and was quoted £1300, which I found to be way overboard, bought blinds and fitted them myself (relatively easy) and in total cost me between £200-£300. Not sure what other experience people have had with them.
The first time I used them several years ago they were competively priced with local firms but more recently they failed to turn up to 2 pre-arranged appointments only letting me know about an hour before hand so went to a local company.
Im after a quote for 10 windows one being a bay (=3) but little shops quoting around 800 tops fitted.
Their product is very good, their installation costs are far too expensive.

They're very easy to fit yourself.
The typical double glazing type salesman will be visiting you. Say price is too expensive for you at the moment and then expect phone calls with cheaper prices from Aftersales.
I've always used Directblinds.co.uk and they have been fantastic. Yes you need to do some work yourself but its not at all difficult.
each area of the country will have small guys making the same blinds at a fraction of the price.
When we moved into our new home in June we had a shop around and found web-blinds.com/ they are actually Hilarys web based company. You take your own measurements and fit them yourselves, you can also pay 10% extra as insurance in case you get the measurements wrong.
Hillary's Blinds trade under many different names. Get several quotes for fitted and several fit yourself. Most blinds are made of the same material and quality and sourced cheaply from Eastern Europe and Far East
eslick

each area of the country will have small guys making the same blinds at a … each area of the country will have small guys making the same blinds at a fraction of the price.

Are you saying big guys can't make blinds?
NEtech

Are you saying big guys can't make blinds?

I nearly replied to that with a serious comment
Thanks everyone :-)
deleted568030
May be worth looking at Laura Ashley if you're happy to fit them yourself. I found blinds online and went through the measuring and buying process but stopped short of the final commit. They were expensive and I wanted to double check evening before buying. Two days later got an email with a 40% off code. The blinds came well before their estimated delivery date and fit perfectly.
eslick

I nearly replied to that with a serious comment

https://media.giphy.com/media/eAUydq5MV0OXu/giphy.gif

Edited by: "NEtech" 18th Dec 2015
I used to work for Hillarys head office, they are like courier companies in that they employ agents throughout the country on a commission basis. These agents respond to adverts placed in their local newspaper, measure and quote, order from head office, then fit the blinds. Most if not all ads in your local newspaper will be Hillarys trading under different names. Not sure if it still happens but even some of the bigger known 'rivals' actually started with Hillarys as agents and still bought from them even when established!
I had a blind fitted for my patio doors and it was quite overpriced, especially since a couple years later the colours of the blind have been bleached by the sun and have faded. It cost something like £200ish (including fitting).

At the same time, I fitted some blinds for a large window in my bathroom - I took the measurements of the window and ordered some blinds on eBay. It was a bit of a hassle drilling holes, because the wall is quite porous, but used polyfilla and some paint, they were fine and looked very professional. It cost me about £20 and I would say the colour of the blinds have stayed (not as badly bleached), even though they get more sun than the patio doors...
I would get a handyman from Gumtree to do all the measuring for you. Then you order the blinds you fancy online using the measurements, then get the handyman to put them up for you. Bet it would cost a fraction of what Hillary's charge. Hillary's appear to have all the same patterns, colours and products that every other blinds company have.
We had our from a local company that we know others had used. We had a total of 4 quotes - Hilary's were about the price of two of the others put together! Seem to think they "featured" on Watchdog last year or the year before as well. Could be wrong on that though.
nottmsteve

We had our from a local company that we know others had used. We had a … We had our from a local company that we know others had used. We had a total of 4 quotes - Hilary's were about the price of two of the others put together! Seem to think they "featured" on Watchdog last year or the year before as well. Could be wrong on that though.

Where was that from? Looking at the name you look local? Notts
Had Hillarys supply and fit blinds for whole house about nine years ago. I,ll just say this, within a week had them removed and went somewhere else.
Nearly double what they should be in my experience.
I don't think their blinds are anything special but they are pricey.
Used Hillarys on my new build this year for the whole house - they beat a local competitors price by some £400 and installed them all for £45. Very good service and price in my opinion.

Notts/Derbys border.
We used Shipley Blinds. I believe they travel over most of Notts/Derbys. Good company with a good reputation. They do work at some of the schools too.

sme24185

Where was that from? Looking at the name you look local? Notts

nottmsteve

Notts/Derbys border.We used Shipley Blinds. I believe they travel over … Notts/Derbys border.We used Shipley Blinds. I believe they travel over most of Notts/Derbys. Good company with a good reputation. They do work at some of the schools too.

Thanks may give them a ring :-)

If I remember, their website is not the best, but service is great. They have a showroom just outside Ilkeston with loads of samples and sample books. The measuring and fitting is free, or included, depending on which way you look at it. Because my wife couldn't make her mind up, she even brought sample books home and they picked them up a couple of days later when they came to measure. We've used them twice now and been very happy at the service & price. I sound like an advert for 'em!

sme24185

Thanks may give them a ring :-)

x5gb

Had Hillarys supply and fit blinds for whole house about nine years ago. … Had Hillarys supply and fit blinds for whole house about nine years ago. I,ll just say this, within a week had them removed and went somewhere else.

I'll just say this, i don't believe you!
transit

I'll just say this, i don't believe you!

Why would you say that, had them fitted but half of them were ill fitting due to the salesman mistakenly measuring only the middle of the windows frame and surrounding wall without compensating for the tiling at the bottom of the walls, the salesman tried to get me to have them fixed but it had already left a sour taste in my mouth and also wasn't happy with the look of them anyway and said I wasn't interested and asked for them to be removed. He basically resigned himself in trying to convince me to keep them and believe he just felt embarassed about the whole thing. Came back within a week with a bunch of black bin liners and removed the lot. Went to the Home Show at Olympia just after and saw a stand with the nicest blinds I've ever seen made by a company called Luxaflex, chose the black perforated ones for the majority of the house, cost a bit more, but it was so worth it, even the salesman who sold them for a living was impressed with the look of them. Still going strong nine years later

Edited by: "x5gb" 19th Dec 2015
x5gb

Why would you say that, had them fitted but half of them were ill fitting … Why would you say that, had them fitted but half of them were ill fitting due to the salesman mistakenly measuring only the middle of the windows frame and surrounding wall without compensating for the tiling at the bottom of the walls, the salesman tried to get me to have them fixed but it had already left a sour taste in my mouth and also wasn't happy with the look of them anyway and said I wasn't interested and asked for them to be removed. He basically resigned himself in trying to convince me to keep them and believe he just felt embarassed about the whole thing. Came back within a week with a bunch of black bin liners and removed the lot. Went to the Home Show at Olympia just after and saw a stand with the nicest blinds I've ever seen made by a company called Luxaflex, chose the black perforated ones for the majority of the house, cost a bit more, but it was so worth it, even the salesman who sold them for a living was impressed with the look of them. Still going strong nine years later

I'll just say this, i DOnow believe you!

No worries, your second reply gave me a laugh anyway. Have a Good Xmas and Prosperous New Year.

transit

I'll just say this, i DOnow believe you!

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants