Found 7th Mar 2009
Anyone recommend some good Hip Hop or Rap artists that arent the usual mainstream rubbish? Stuff like the Roots or Ded Prez

Looking to listen to some new tunes!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
16 Comments

Papoose-but not exactly underground anymore.

yeh all the hip hop from the early to mid 90s was best.

Souls of myschief
Domino
de la soul
Naughty By Nature
Early Wu-Tang Clan stuff
snoop dog, first album dogpound
Gang Starr
Biggie Smalls !!!!!
House of Pain
A Tribe Called Quest

Right im off to blow the dust of my old cds!

A site called musicmap is good, music-map.com/ great for finding similar artists.

download some Herbaliser mixes.. You'll like!

Just buy a kiddy drum, hit it now and again, and read something out loud - Chuck a few swears in, some lyrics about "hoes" and you'll be making your own music in no time

cornish;4573432

yeh all the hip hop from the early to mid 90s was best.Souls of … yeh all the hip hop from the early to mid 90s was best.Souls of myschiefRight im off to blow the dust of my old cds! A site called musicmap is good, http://www.music-map.com/ great for finding similar artists.

surely one of the greatest hip hop groups imo... never got credit they deserved

Try the Fu-Shnickens (not everyone's cup of tea but I love em)

Some good suggestions here... I tend to agree with the early-mid 90s statement...but how could they have left Tupac out of the equation?!?!?!?!

2Pac still the best rapper to date imo...listen to 'Me against the world' and 'All eyez on me' albums...two very different sounds but both amazing. All eyez on me was the first EVER double hiphop album... and as far as double albums go almost every track is awesome. If you don't wanna get both albums (they are seriously worth it) I recommend the original double CD , Tupac Greatest Hits (released around 97, 98 I think) it combines the best of his albums up until all eyez on me...so you get a lot of the top stuff from me against the world too like so many tears... but no posthumous stuff \i think like from Makaveli, R U Still Down, Still I rise (2Pac & Outlawz) etc etc etc Outlawz are a v.underrated rap group also imo.

Also check out albums from Nas, Jay-Z, Big L, Xzibit (Restless album awesome).

Look for and try out Task Force - one of the best UK hip hop acts IMO.
Based in the Highbury Estate, N London, they put most recent generic American hip hop to shame.

Series of albums called Music from The Corner - difficult to get hold of but always available somewhere.
One of the best tracks is The Junkyard.

See what you think - dark and edgy at its best.

Tech N9ne

col;4573419

Papoose-but not exactly underground anymore.

'greed.

Some of his earlier releases where some of the best stuff I have ever heard. He is a modern day version of Big L (just not as good). He used tg be my favourite artist my in the last few years it seems he has run out of material.

immortal technique....

Anyway, here are some artists you should listen to. If you ever want to know anything about Hip Hop send me a PM.

-Immortal Technique
-AZ
-Blu & Exile
-Cassidy (his freestyles etc)
-M.O.P
-East Flatbush Project
-Elzhi
-Evidence
-Himuki
-MF Grimm
-MF Doom
-Mobb Deep
-Redman
-Talib Kweli
-Mos Def
-Common

I'll hit you some more artists later.

BLAC HAZE..Nothing can compare to him!!

cornish;4573432

yeh all the hip hop from the early to mid 90s was best.Souls of … yeh all the hip hop from the early to mid 90s was best.Souls of myschiefDominode la soulNaughty By Nature Early Wu-Tang Clan stuffsnoop dog, first album dogpound Gang StarrBiggie Smalls !!!!!House of PainA Tribe Called QuestRight im off to blow the dust of my old cds! some good calls there epmd,nwa,public enemy and young mc were a few others i likedA site called musicmap is good, http://www.music-map.com/ great for finding similar artists.

If any1 wants to hook up with me i can dish out an abundance of quality Hip Hop, me msn is [email protected].

Cornish had some excellant choices there, anything pre '96 for the golden age of hip hop should be sought out. Tbh my fav year was 1988 as you had some excellant choices:

Public Enemy - It Takes A......
Ultramagnetic Mc's - Critical Beatdown
Jungle Brothers - Straight Out The Jungle
Ice T - Power
Eric B And Rakim - Follow The leader
Stetsasonic - In Full Gear
Epmd - Strictly Business

So much tbh! anyway some tunes im bumping atm:

Black Milk - Goatit
7l and Esoteric - Cobra
Massive Attack - I Against I
Phat Kat - Door (and anything from his last album Carte Blanche)
Dälek - Speak Volumes
All Natural - Vegetarian
Reks - Say Goodnight
Dabrye feat MF DOOM - Air (remix)

again 2 many to list, Youtube all those i mentioned (that Air Remix is a killer!)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition65707
    2. Win an unbelievable Windows Mixed Reality prize pack from Windows Central! …43
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines43
    4. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers44

See more discussions