Hisense 50M3300 / Xbox One S - Best settings?

Editor 11
Found 20th Jul 2017
Hey guys. Does anybody own both the Hisense 50M3300 and an Xbox One S?

If so, could you tell me which settings you are using on HDR games? I seem to keep getting seriously bad glare* in situations with sun, which I'm now starting to think may have resulted in me shifting Mass Effect: Andromeda a little too soon.

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy XV and I'm experiencing the same issues. The TV doesn't have any problems with games and looks fantastic when HDR isn't active (upscaled to 4K) with games such as Rainbow Six Siege, which used to suffer badly with glare* effects on my previous TV.

*I do hope glare is the correct terminology
Community Updates
11 Comments
Close your curtains?
Original Poster Editor
Wilsh88

Close your curtains?

https://media.giphy.com/media/j2nATOAdRgYZq/giphy.gif
It's not clear whether you're talking about glare on the screen from the sun in real life, or glare from the in-game sun causing everything on screen to become brighter.

If it's the latter than it's likely working as Hisense intended. It's common for TVs like that which don't have HDR hardware to respond to HDR content by cranking up the brightness for the whole scene. Don't ask me why TV manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot like that, but it's mentioned in quite a few reviews across different brands.

You might be able to fiddle with the settings to tone it done but it's probably easiest just to turn off the HDR mode. You're not missing anything.
Original Poster Editor
EndlessWaves5 m ago

It's not clear whether you're talking about glare on the screen from the …It's not clear whether you're talking about glare on the screen from the sun in real life, or glare from the in-game sun causing everything on screen to become brighter.If it's the latter than it's likely working as Hisense intended. It's common for TVs like that which don't have HDR hardware to respond to HDR content by cranking up the brightness for the whole scene. Don't ask me why TV manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot like that, but it's mentioned in quite a few reviews across different brands. You might be able to fiddle with the settings to tone it done but it's probably easiest just to turn off the HDR mode. You're not missing anything.

Yeah, it's the in-game glare.

Whilst I think on, it seems to be a lot of the Ubisoft titles that suffer with it, too. I know The Division was horrendous when walking down the street with the sun glaring.

I've had a little play around with the settings but can only seem to tone it down with negative effects to other areas. I'll probably just have to take the hit and disable HDR in games where affected.

Cheers for the reply, it's appreciated
I don't have a Hisense, I'm using the Samsung UE55KS9000. Although I would say it's a good idea to check all your X1 settings are correct for HDR content (if you haven't already done so) and all your TV settings are calibrated correctly for HDR gaming too - things like backlight turned all the way up, smart led on high etc. HDR gaming settings for your model should be readily available on the forums.

I can't help but think though that what you're describing is just the effect of HDR. HDR simulates real light by making sun rays brighter than the rest of the picture. The better the TV, the brighter sun glare will look. Be interested to see a few screen shots of what you're experiencing, because it does sound like a HDR feature.
Edited by: "Dekard97" 21st Jul 2017
Original Poster Editor
Dekard97

I don't have a Hisense, I'm using the Samsung UE55KS9000. Although I … I don't have a Hisense, I'm using the Samsung UE55KS9000. Although I would say it's a good idea to check all your X1 settings are correct for HDR content (if you haven't already done so) and all your TV settings are calibrated correctly for HDR gaming too - things like backlight turned all the way up, smart led on high etc. HDR gaming settings for your model should be readily available on the forums. I can't help but think though that what you're describing is just the effect of HDR. HDR simulates real light by making sun rays brighter than the rest of the picture. The better the TV, the brighter sun glare will look. Be interested to see a few screen shots of what you're experiencing, because it does sound like a HDR feature.

Yeah, I was starting to think it was an intentional vision. I really do hope not, though. It's quite bad. I did have a screenshot of Mass Effect: Andromeda somewhere which probably showed (my) the issue quite badly.

I'm away this weekend but I will try and get some screenshots up when I can. I appreciate the reply, thank you
Dekard97

I don't have a Hisense, I'm using the Samsung UE55KS9000. Although I … I don't have a Hisense, I'm using the Samsung UE55KS9000. Although I would say it's a good idea to check all your X1 settings are correct for HDR content (if you haven't already done so) and all your TV settings are calibrated correctly for HDR gaming too - things like backlight turned all the way up, smart led on high etc. HDR gaming settings for your model should be readily available on the forums. I can't help but think though that what you're describing is just the effect of HDR. HDR simulates real light by making sun rays brighter than the rest of the picture. The better the TV, the brighter sun glare will look. Be interested to see a few screen shots of what you're experiencing, because it does sound like a HDR feature.

The trouble is the M3300 doesn't have the hardware needed to do that. It can only adjust the brightness of the whole backlight at once so it's limited to normal SDR brightness ranges using the LCD.

An HDR TV like your KS9000 will raise the brightness of just the sun's rays and leave the average brightness of the picture unchanged, TVs like the M3300 commonly raise the brightness of the whole scene if you turn their 'HDR' mode on.
EndlessWaves10 m ago

The trouble is the M3300 doesn't have the hardware needed to do that. It …The trouble is the M3300 doesn't have the hardware needed to do that. It can only adjust the brightness of the whole backlight at once so it's limited to normal SDR brightness ranges using the LCD.An HDR TV like your KS9000 will raise the brightness of just the sun's rays and leave the average brightness of the picture unchanged, TVs like the M3300 commonly raise the brightness of the whole scene if you turn their 'HDR' mode on.

That would explain what he's referring too. I don't have any experience with the Hisense, although it would sound like it's best not to use it in that case. I actually experience the opposite with my UE55KS9000, the overall screen goes quite dim with HDR games. I suppose it's to provide the contrast between bright areas and dark. On some games like Uncharted 4, I turn up the dynamic contrast. The HDR doesn't look as impressive when I do that, but it does look a bit washed out overall. Apparently this is quite normal for HDR gaming. The colours definitely don't look as vivid with the dynamic contrast turned off. It does seem like a compromise to me
BuzzDuraband9 h, 44 m ago

Yeah, I was starting to think it was an intentional vision. I really do …Yeah, I was starting to think it was an intentional vision. I really do hope not, though. It's quite bad. I did have a screenshot of Mass Effect: Andromeda somewhere which probably showed (my) the issue quite badly.I'm away this weekend but I will try and get some screenshots up when I can. I appreciate the reply, thank you

You're welcome. Keep us posted
Original Poster Editor
Dekard9721st Jul

You're welcome. Keep us posted

OK, so this is a bit embarrassing

So I've had a little play around today and a little yesterday and it turns out that, even though I thought you had to have the setting set to 'HDR' as seen in the image below...

31537633-x88lF.jpg
You can actually change it to any of the presets and it will still display as HDR content...

31537633-mhIJ5.jpg
which has obviously allowed me to play around with the settings much better for a more likeable finish. I genuinely appreciate all of your comments. Superstars
BuzzDuraband5 h, 3 m ago

OK, so this is a bit embarrassing So I've had a little play around …OK, so this is a bit embarrassing So I've had a little play around today and a little yesterday and it turns out that, even though I thought you had to have the setting set to 'HDR' as seen in the image below...[Image] You can actually change it to any of the presets and it will still display as HDR content...[Image] which has obviously allowed me to play around with the settings much better for a more likeable finish. I genuinely appreciate all of your comments. Superstars

Don't see any problem with that! Looks good. I think I actually spend more time tweaking the picture than actually playing sometimes
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions