Histiocytoma in Dogs Advice needed

Found 12th Apr 2016
My 10 Month old Cocker Spaniel has been to the Vet as she had a growth on her front leg. They say it is Histiocytoma. They can remove by surgery and is straight forward but it can also go on it's own after 2-3 months. The problem is not the cost but putting her through the operation, when it could regress after 3 months. At the moment it bleed when she knocks it but it does not give her any pain. Has anyone's dog had one before and did it go Itself? Advice needed. Thanks
Community Updates
9 Comments
My picture is of my dog after having surgery for the same thing! He had his on his chest and it kept bleeding and unfortunately he could reach it to lick it constantly. He was about a year old and was absolutely fine afterwards apart from the cone of shame! He will be 11 this year and he has some health issues with his hips and a few fatty lumps but he is still as mad as a box of frogs! I personally went for the op because he did keep knocking it and it kept bleeding so I wanted it gone. Luckily we have insurance so money wasn't an issue and it gave me peace of mind having the op. Good luck!
Col67

My picture is of my dog after having surgery for the same thing! He had … My picture is of my dog after having surgery for the same thing! He had his on his chest and it kept bleeding and unfortunately he could reach it to lick it constantly. He was about a year old and was absolutely fine afterwards apart from the cone of shame! He will be 11 this year and he has some health issues with his hips and a few fatty lumps but he is still as mad as a box of frogs! I personally went for the op because he did keep knocking it and it kept bleeding so I wanted it gone. Luckily we have insurance so money wasn't an issue and it gave me peace of mind having the op. Good luck!

Thanks for this. The Histiocytoma is on her front ankle part and she can get to it to bite and lick. Going to have a look today and see how it is. If it gets any worse the operation is going to be the only option.
Please see Turmeric Users Group UK on Facebook. Lots of posts on their detailing how turmeric paste has helped with various animals and humans. might be worth a try before deciding on operation. I take the golden paste myself.
How do you know it dosen't cause her any pain?
My dog also had a Hystiocytoma growth on his front paw.. the vet said the exact same thing to us, that we could operate or it could go down itself after a few months. We elected to let nature take it's course simply because my dog doesn't handle anesthetic very well at all, we didn't want to put him through that. It was a long 3 to 4 months of cone wearing so he doesn't keep getting to it, he also kept hitting it off things which made it bleed etc, but we made sure that we cleaned it frequently with hibi-scrub and also like one of the previous posters suggested, turmeric paste mixed with coconut oil really helped. If you elect to do the same as me, buy your dog a 'Comfy Cone', it's much better and more comfortable than the usual plastic cone, made his life much easier in those 3 to 4 months.
Thanks for all your time to reply. she is going to have it removed. We have been keeping a close eye on it and it is now bleeding all the time and looks very sore. The Vet has said due to Histiocytoma looking angry she would advice to have the operation. She is knocking it all the time.
Angel_Of_The_North

How do you know it dosen't cause her any pain?

The Vet said it shouldn't cause her pain, but will do if she knocks it or she gets an infection.
brandlew

The Vet said it shouldn't cause her pain, but will do if she knocks it or … The Vet said it shouldn't cause her pain, but will do if she knocks it or she gets an infection.

I hope she's okay. Our dog has recently has his both patellas operated on. The vet said they were really bad. Our little cutie hid his pain very well. Apparently they're good at that!
thanks for all your help. In the end she had to have the growth removed, as she had been getting too it through the night and made it very sore It was bleeding all the time, especially if she knocked it.I was scared of it getting infected and bigger. She also started flinching everything I tried to bathe it. She is recovering well from the operation and her stitches come out Monday. Thanks again much appreciated
Edited by: "brandlew" 21st Apr 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants