Expired

Hitachi HXT12U 42 In Full HD 1080p FVHD LED TV + Smart Apps.

Found 3rd May 2014
We bought the Hitachi HXT12U 42 In Full HD 1080p FVHD LED TV + Smart Apps 7 days ago & have finally got round to buying an ethernet cable today (as we wanted to use BBC iplayer). However, the iplayer app is missing & the smartvue app also doesn't seem to do anything at all. I went into Argos in town today to ask their advice as it's advertised as having the iplayer app & the girl went away & then came back with a website address & a phone number for Hitachi technical help, saying that I could download the app myself & there is no problem. She told me to call the number if I had any further probs. I came home & tried what she said but there is no internet access on the tv. So, I called the number & the advisor said that I had been misinformed & you can't download anything, but BBC iplayer is down at the moment (it's working on my Ipad) & to wait until possibly Monday & it will appear when the site is back up!!! I've since read on the Argos website questions from other people that they don't seem to have got it either (some of the questions go back a while). We wouldn't have bought the tv if it hadn't had iplayer on it, so do you think I have a leg to stand on if I return the tv (it's excluded from the 30 day money back guarantee) if I say it's not as described?

Thanks for any advice :-)

8 Comments

These apps are specially written and provided by the TV manufacturer, Hitachi in your case so need to be downloaded from their server via the TV interface.I have a Samsung and whilst there are several good apps BBCi player,Netfilx etc there are a lot of useless apps too with no support for Play store apps.
Edited by: "arachnoid" 3rd May 2014

Original Poster

arachnoid

These apps are specially written and provided by the TV manufacturer, … These apps are specially written and provided by the TV manufacturer, Hitachi in your case so need to be downloaded from their server via the TV interface.I have a Samsung and whilst there are several good apps BBCi player,Netfilx etc there are a lot of useless apps too with no support for Play store apps.

Thanks for the reply, but how do you download it via the tv interface please? This is NOT a smart tv, just has some smart apps.

The Distance Selling Regulations 2000 give you 7 working days NOT INCLUDING weekends or bank holidays to reject the goods.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 let you reject goods that are not fit for purpose/as described within a reasonable time (it's not specified but 28 days is a common cut off unless there are special circumstances). You must do so in writing/e-mail as soon as you notice the fault (telephone calls don't count) or you may be deemed to have accepted the goods.

IMHO if it is an important feature and you will be upset if you get stuck with the TV you should return it to an Argos store in the original packing with a note explaining why you have rejected the goods. You will most likely need a returns number from a service centre as well - so if the Argos help line can't help you, ask to escalate the issue as you reject the goods and wish to return them,.

We have just visted the mother-in-law who bought the 40 inch Hitachi TV 4 weeks ago. It did have BBC iPlayer and we used it for the last 3 weeks. Today the iplayer app has dissapeared from the menu. I checked for Hitachi TV Software Upgrades but there are none available. A new icon for BBC News Test has appeared but that is just for news. Like the person said above this might have to go back if they now decide to not support iplayer. That might explain the cost was reduced from £400 to £279 in Argos. We will have to wait another week to see if it comes back as the mother-in-law is not technically savvy.

I am looking for an Hitachi support contact and will ask/complain if I find one

I have asked Hitachi Product Support via their contact page...hitachidigitalmedia.com/con….do

Fingers crossed for a resolution. I am hoping somebody made a mistake and software was changed in error.

It could be they have issues with the newer version of the app and the firmware on older systems.

Original Poster

Thanks very much for the replies everyone. We took the tv back today, expecting there to be a problem! It was extraordinarily easy, we think they've had lots of tv's back for the same reason. It's also strange that they've removed reviews from the web page!!

Original Poster

warrior19

I have asked Hitachi Product Support via their contact … I have asked Hitachi Product Support via their contact page...http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/contactPage.doFingers crossed for a resolution. I am hoping somebody made a mistake and software was changed in error.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants