Groups

Hive - £9 a month but £150 cancellation fee making it £159 installed?

Am i reading this correct, can anyone confirm?

British Gas charge £249 to install Hive for you. If you have one of their protection products you can have it for £9 a month on a 24 month term. But if you cancel within the first 12 months you pay £150 fee upfront to cancel or £70 fee if you cancel within the second year.

Therefore if you get it installed then cancel straight away doesn't this make it cheaper? £150 cancellation fee plus the first £9 payment after install (total £159)

Or have i got this completely wrong?

Weblink - britishgas.co.uk/pro…tml

Below are the T&C's

[1] Available to new and existing HomeCare customers only. If you cancel your HomeCare product and have no other products with British Gas, the price you pay for your Hive Active Heating will increase to £10 per month. If you purchase an eligible British Gas product again in the future, your price will go back down. Prices subject to change.

[2] The subscription is ongoing and will continue until cancelled. Cancellation fees apply in the first 24 months. A fee of £150 will be charged if cancelled within the first 12 months and £70 if cancelled after 12 months but before 24 months.

33 Comments

why bother with this at all

Presumably they remove this if you cancel? Or you can keep it but they'll bill you the price of the unit.

£249? For months I've been reading £149 & less if you have their home cover

Sorry for resurrecting an older post, but I am looking in to this option as well.

MrJinxy, did you go ahead with the £9 a month and then cancel?

Original Poster

h8lly

Sorry for resurrecting an older post, but I am looking in to this option … Sorry for resurrecting an older post, but I am looking in to this option as well.MrJinxy, did you go ahead with the £9 a month and then cancel?

No I didn't, I wasn't sure to or not.

Might be best to post as deal to get more attention/opinion
    Edited by: "MrJinxy" 7th Feb

I read thru the T&Cs and it looks OK to me. The additional benefit I saw was 10% off other Hive products while paying the monthly fee.

Page 7 of this doc also explains what happens depending on when you cancel: https://www.britishgas.co.uk/aem6/content/dam/britishgas/downloads/Hive/Hive-active-heating-subscription-terms-and-conditions.pdf

I'm just trying to decide for sure that I want Hive instead of Nest before going ahead with this!
    Edited by: "h8lly" 7th Feb

Banned

The T&Cs say you pay £80 if cancelled within 14 days, and £150 within the first 12 months. Hive membership is £4.99 per month. What would stop someone from getting it installed; cancelling immediately, and then taking out a hive membership for £4.99 per month? If you then cancelled THAT membership would you retain the remote access capabilities?

I've got one being installed next week. Looked at Nest but I need 2 zones for a second boiler.

The 10% discount is not benefit as ebay is cheaper than that.

Edited by: "jeff13" 8th Feb

Does this get added to your gas/electric bill or to your homecare bill? We rent so we only pay the gas and electric and not the homecare.

jeff13

The T&Cs say you pay £80 if cancelled within 14 days, and £150 within the … The T&Cs say you pay £80 if cancelled within 14 days, and £150 within the first 12 months. Hive membership is £4.99 per month. What would stop someone from getting it installed; cancelling immediately, and then taking out a hive membership for £4.99 per month? If you then cancelled THAT membership would you retain the remote access capabilities?

On the link I provided above you still get remote access capabilities if you cancel after 14 days and pay £150. If you cancel within 14 days and pay £80 then you can control the thermostat while at home, but not remotely.

Both options revokes your Hive Live access, but that is more for warranty. I wouldn't be taking out the £4.99 option since this does no affect remote access.

Banned

h8lly

On the link I provided above you still get remote access capabilities if … On the link I provided above you still get remote access capabilities if you cancel after 14 days and pay £150. If you cancel within 14 days and pay £80 then you can control the thermostat while at home, but not remotely.Both options revokes your Hive Live access, but that is more for warranty. I wouldn't be taking out the £4.99 option since this does no affect remote access.

Thanks. So...hypothetically. If someone cancelled and paid the £80; Is there a way they could get remote access in the future should they want it?

so you have to pay for remote access?

jeff13

[Thanks. So...hypothetically. If someone cancelled and paid the £80; Is … [Thanks. So...hypothetically. If someone cancelled and paid the £80; Is there a way they could get remote access in the future should they want it?

Sorry, I couldn't find anything on the website for that. May need to ask Hive directly unless someone else can confirm. Maybe you could just start a new subscription again if it is similar to moving in to a new house where the previous owner had it installed.

jeff13

According to this forum...the remote access isn't very … According to this forum...the remote access isn't very reliable.https://hivehome.uservoice.com/forums/223103-product-ideas/suggestions/5028780-hive-remote-access-is-down-a-lot

Hmmm, looks like the Nest app is getting mixed reviews too.

Banned

tbh I think I'd prefer it without the remote access anyway. surely you could remote into your own network and configure the system remotely if you really needed the facility. for me I just want a phone enabled system where I can replace the 2 basic on off thermostats with. mobile enabled programmable system. for £180 installed that seems fair

Original Poster

h8lly

I read thru the T&Cs and it looks OK to me. The additional benefit I saw … I read thru the T&Cs and it looks OK to me. The additional benefit I saw was 10% off other Hive products while paying the monthly fee.Page 7 of this doc also explains what happens depending on when you cancel: https://www.britishgas.co.uk/aem6/content/dam/britishgas/downloads/Hive/Hive-active-heating-subscription-terms-and-conditions.pdfI'm just trying to decide for sure that I want Hive instead of Nest before going ahead with this!

I've gone for this, getting installed Thursday so on 2nd March will make the cancellation phone call and pay the £150 fee

I did too and it was installed this morning :). Working well so far!

Was this the earliest installation date they gave you? I only ordered it last Thursday so it was a quick turnaround.

Banned

....Or if you get it installed and cancel straight away, within the initial 14 day cancellation period, you just pay an £80 installation fee. You don't get remote access, meaning it can only be programmed when on the local network. However, given the reviews of the remote service, it doesn't seem all that reliable anyway, and if you were so inclined, surely you could remote into your own server at home and program your central heating that way? I ordered mine last week; I'm getting Hive multi-zone installed Wednesday.

Original Poster

h8lly

I did too and it was installed this morning :). Working well so far!Was … I did too and it was installed this morning :). Working well so far!Was this the earliest installation date they gave you? I only ordered it last Thursday so it was a quick turnaround.

No i quoted that date as I'm working from home Thursday looking forward to it. Let me know how you get on when you come to cancelling

Has anybody got an update on this?

Original Poster

ozstriker3

Has anybody got an update on this?

Couple of us have had it fitted, mine is being fitted today. Then I ring up next month to cancel

Yep, got mine installed on Monday. Will update again here after I try to cancel in a couple of weeks.

I would also be interested to learn more about Jeff13's suggestion: "surely you could remote into your own server at home and program your central heating that way", but I see this user has been banned from the forum now...

MrJinxy - are you also going to link up other devices to your Hive box? I am thinking about the door/window sensors. I also just bought a Netgear Arlo security camera so need to figure out how to link it all up via IFTTT.

Original Poster

h8lly

Yep, got mine installed on Monday. Will update again here after I try to … Yep, got mine installed on Monday. Will update again here after I try to cancel in a couple of weeks.I would also be interested to learn more about Jeff13's suggestion: "surely you could remote into your own server at home and program your central heating that way", but I see this user has been banned from the forum now...MrJinxy - are you also going to link up other devices to your Hive box? I am thinking about the door/window sensors. I also just bought a Netgear Arlo security camera so need to figure out how to link it all up via IFTTT.

I already have 4 Hive bulbs as when I moved house I got a free "starter pack" which included 2 bulbs and the router box. I also signed up to their Homecare 200 plan (as boiler in new place is quite old) and got another welcome pack I kept the bulbs and flogged the router box for £35 on ebay.

I have all the bulbs currently set up, quite impressive how you can programme them and at the dim level you want etc. I have looked into the other Hive stuff but I don't think any of it appeals to me. I don't really get the point with the door sensors personally. My friend has a couple and they just detail when a door is open and for how long.

What I did like what he's done is got a Hive sensor (like a PIR sensor) which when detects movement has linked with a Hive bulb, he has programmed it to come on for say 30 seconds when it detects movement out the front, like a flood light, quite clever.

I wouldn't know where to start with linking a CCTV camera, how does it work, what does it do?

Another reason I'm not sure on the door sensors is because there quite expensive, and for £50-£80 you can get a wireless Yale Alarm which gives you better security. I purchased a wireless Yale alarm on black Friday from Screwfix, was on offer for £100 but got it for £90 as had 10% voucher. This calls you when it activates. Maybe worth looking into

That's a good idea for linking bulbs to come on if it senses movement. Only problem I have is that most of my light fittings aren't compatible with the limited bulb sizes that Hive offers.

My camera is quite useful. It activates when I leave home (geofencing) and alerts me on my phone if it senses any movement and also records for a set period, which I can replay via phone/computer. Would need to get more cameras to focus on other rooms though for it to be of any use as a security system. This one camera was already £120

I haven't done much research in to the whole smart home security yet. I definitely need to figure out something for my alarm because at the moment I wouldn't even know if my alarm went off because I don't get a remote alert. I am going to read up a bit more on something like smartthings.com/uk/…ity, but will also check out the Yale Alarm, thanks.

I guess there would be no need to link up to Hive in this case. I don't regret getting Hive though. I find it useful that I can set the heating to start up before I arrive home (when I remember to change it!) rather than having it on a fixed schedule which on an ad-hoc basis may be earlier than required.

Original Poster

h8lly

That's a good idea for linking bulbs to come on if it senses movement. … That's a good idea for linking bulbs to come on if it senses movement. Only problem I have is that most of my light fittings aren't compatible with the limited bulb sizes that Hive offers.My camera is quite useful. It activates when I leave home (geofencing) and alerts me on my phone if it senses any movement and also records for a set period, which I can replay via phone/computer. Would need to get more cameras to focus on other rooms though for it to be of any use as a security system. This one camera was already £120 :(I haven't done much research in to the whole smart home security yet. I definitely need to figure out something for my alarm because at the moment I wouldn't even know if my alarm went off because I don't get a remote alert. I am going to read up a bit more on something like https://www.smartthings.com/uk/uses/security, but will also check out the Yale Alarm, thanks.I guess there would be no need to link up to Hive in this case. I don't regret getting Hive though. I find it useful that I can set the heating to start up before I arrive home (when I remember to change it!) rather than having it on a fixed schedule which on an ad-hoc basis may be earlier than required.

You can get light socket adaptors, see here example - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/LIGHT-SOCKET-CONVERTER-401-090-BAYONET-B22-E27-SCREW/B001DNCAOC

Camera sounds good, but expensive This is the Yale alarm I got for £90 - http://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-premium-wireless-alarm-kit/54473

But if you can get the basic one for £53 from Aldi, your laughing - http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/yale-hsa6200-wireless-alarm-kit-now-52-99-aldi-2610176

The BG engineer is here now fitting it, looking forward to seeing it in action. The reason I wanted Hive was for the smart options but also because we don't currently have a thermostat so heating is currently constantly chugging away!

What's the verdict....did this work

Original Poster

robocop999

What's the verdict....did this work

Yep!

Got it for £150 installed. Didn't have to pay a first months subcription

I keep forgetting to do it oO. Will try and do it this week.

MrJinxy, how did you get away with not paying first month subscription too?!

Original Poster

h8lly

I keep forgetting to do it oO. Will try and do it this week.MrJinxy, how … I keep forgetting to do it oO. Will try and do it this week.MrJinxy, how did you get away with not paying first month subscription too?!

I literally called them on day 15 as within 14 days you lose the remote element of Hive.

That way i didn't have to pay the first months fee and paid the full £150 as per there T&C's

Mr jinxy ive just orders this today being fitted on Thursday and will be cancelling on day 15, did they push you to a reason or make it difficult or did they just roll over and accept the £150. Don't want to lose the remote access or SMS texts from the system.

Original Poster

Puggle77

Mr jinxy ive just orders this today being fitted on Thursday and will be … Mr jinxy ive just orders this today being fitted on Thursday and will be cancelling on day 15, did they push you to a reason or make it difficult or did they just roll over and accept the £150. Don't want to lose the remote access or SMS texts from the system.

Nope, they just cancelled. You are well within your rights to

Puggle77

Mr jinxy ive just orders this today being fitted on Thursday and will be … Mr jinxy ive just orders this today being fitted on Thursday and will be cancelling on day 15, did they push you to a reason or make it difficult or did they just roll over and accept the £150. Don't want to lose the remote access or SMS texts from the system.

did it work?

Have there been any follow up issues with this at all? Did they just cancel it, take the money and all work out okay onwards?

We had ours installed last week in preparation for the winter as our upstairs gets roasting and downstairs is freezing. I'd much rather just pay the £150 than the £216 it'll end up being.

I'm vaguely amused too that you have to tell them, after 2 years, (roughly the normal price) that you want to cancel it. If you forget you could end up paying it forever which would obviously suit them well!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …1932
      2. word survey1114
      3. word association Game73944503
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047125

See more discussions