Hive Active Heating installation

Found 27th Oct 2015
Just wondering if anyone had installed a Hive heating system themselves and the difficulty. Recently had a Worcester classic boiler installed with no thermostat and if it's easy enough would prefer to save myself £70 on the installation
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
I got it when it was my home and like it, nest is also an option.
Original Poster
Considered nest but they've just released the gen 3 in the US and are keeping schtum about uk release date which is annoying
had it installed. it did not look to difficult .only thing that was changed was the control unit which had the wires. everything else is easy .you plug in to the Internet
It's really easy to install, if your on a combi its simply 5 core cable from the boiler to receiver. If you have a hot water cylinder replace the existing programmer with the receiver You can normally find the manual for your old programmer to identify the cables into the old back plate, just make a note of them and fit them to new back plate in the correct position.

£50 should easily pay a local chap to install it if you get into trouble.
Original Poster
The only bit that concerns me is that we don't currently have a thermostat / programmer so i can't just use the wiring from that. We turn the heating on / off at the boiler itself
Parfy

The only bit that concerns me is that we don't currently have a … The only bit that concerns me is that we don't currently have a thermostat / programmer so i can't just use the wiring from that. We turn the heating on / off at the boiler itself

I'm assuming it's a combi boiler then. You need to take the front cover off and open up the wiring connections. Using 4 core cable, connect up live, neutral, and both thermostat connections LS & LR(remove the loop linking the two). Take the cable to your receiver back plate, connecting up live and neutral, your LS will go to #1 Common, LR to #3 NO Heating On. It doesn't need an earth.

Make sure it's electrically isolated etc. Some might argue you aren't allowed to remove the boiler case unless you are a gas man (something I'd agree with). The cable will cost you couple of quid at the most.
Parfy28th Oct 2015

The only bit that concerns me is that we don't currently have a thermostat …The only bit that concerns me is that we don't currently have a thermostat / programmer so i can't just use the wiring from that. We turn the heating on / off at the boiler itself

If you look at the existing wiring connections you probably have just a 3 core cable to it (live, neutral and earth). There will also probably be a link (a small length of wire) fitted between two of the terminals.

This is where a thermostat (if fitted) would be installed across (and the link removed).

So to fit a Hive you would need to supply the hive with power (live, neutral and earth) and two wires from the Hive to the 'link terminals' on the boiler.

As themorgatron says make sure the boiler is isolated before touching any wiring!
Edited by: "Van1973" 23rd Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions