Hive heating fitting

Posted 8th Dec 2019Edited by:"anonymousmackem"
Considering self-fitting hive heating. My exiting set up is a combi boiler that serves x2 heating zones. I’ve attached a picture of the danfoss wiring hub. The x2 black cables at the left link to two zone valves and there looks to be x3 cables coming into the unit from the right. I presume x2 of them are from the current wired thermostats which will become redundant on the new setup and the other is to the combi. Any advices welcome. If it looks complicated based upon replies I think it maybe time to call in an electrician ! Thanks

3358705.jpg3358705.jpg3358705.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Are you hoping to use the hive to control both zones as a single zone?
keeping both zones separate as before. I’ve bought x2 single channel receivers/thermostats.
this video may help, if you have not already seen it

youtube.com/wat…LtE
thanks I’ve watched a few vids but they invariably cover a very different setup to mine.
mutley108/12/2019 23:47

this video may help, if you have not already seen …this video may help, if you have not already seen ithttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsngaNN6LtE

anonymousmackem09/12/2019 07:55

thanks I’ve watched a few vids but they invariably cover a very different s …thanks I’ve watched a few vids but they invariably cover a very different setup to mine.

hive is not something that a lot of people have who are also familiar with the electrical connections, so if you can not easily see where the cables go from watching the videos then it will be time to call in an electrician.
Looking at the wiring centre my interpretation...

From the bottom up -

(RHS - right hand side, LHS - left....)

1. Earth wires
2. Blue wires to the zone valves LHS, Neutral supply from the mains on the RHS in blue sleeved grey wire.
3. Grey wires to the zone valve on the LHS, Live supply from the mains on the RHS in the brown wire (and probably live supply to the two thermostats in the two other brown wires)
4. Brown wire to one of the zone valves on LHS, switched live from corresponding thermostat in brown sleeved black wire on RHS.
5. Brown wire to the other zone valves on LHS, switched live from the other thermostat in brown sleeved black wire on RHS.
6. Orange wires to the zone valves on LHS, brown sleeved black wire which is powered when either of the valves is open probably runs to your boiler & pump.

This is my best guess at what I can see - and can not be confirmed without being there and perhaps using a multimeter. It's also not clear where your boiler get's a neutral from - must be from elsewhere on the system.

The Hive(s) need to replace the thermostats - so if my interpretation above is correct the switching terminals of the receivers need to be connected to the RHS on terminals 3 (both), 4 and 5.

This is certainly not a definitive answer but hope it helps. FTM
Van197309/12/2019 12:22

Looking at the wiring centre my interpretation...From the bottom up - (RHS …Looking at the wiring centre my interpretation...From the bottom up - (RHS - right hand side, LHS - left....)1. Earth wires2. Blue wires to the zone valves LHS, Neutral supply from the mains on the RHS in blue sleeved grey wire.3. Grey wires to the zone valve on the LHS, Live supply from the mains on the RHS in the brown wire (and probably live supply to the two thermostats in the two other brown wires)4. Brown wire to one of the zone valves on LHS, switched live from corresponding thermostat in brown sleeved black wire on RHS.5. Brown wire to the other zone valves on LHS, switched live from the other thermostat in brown sleeved black wire on RHS.6. Orange wires to the zone valves on LHS, brown sleeved black wire which is powered when either of the valves is open probably runs to your boiler & pump.This is my best guess at what I can see - and can not be confirmed without being there and perhaps using a multimeter. It's also not clear where your boiler get's a neutral from - must be from elsewhere on the system.The Hive(s) need to replace the thermostats - so if my interpretation above is correct the switching terminals of the receivers need to be connected to the RHS on terminals 3 (both), 4 and 5.This is certainly not a definitive answer but hope it helps. FTM

very helpful thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions