HIVE Heating Thermostat Problem - brand new alkaline Ikea batteries have drained in 2 weeks

Found 20th Jun
I have been using Hive for several months. The previous set of batteries lasted for months. Maybe about a year. Earlier this month I received an email from Hive stating the batteries are low. I replaced them with fresh Ikea alkaline batteries. Now under 2 weeks later, I have received another email alert, stating the batteries are low.

As far as I am aware the Ikea alkaline batteries are rather well rated for performance. The Hive system has been fully functional; as in, the bridge, thermostat etc have been on and running correctly.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is the Thermostat faulty?

I have used batteries out of the same Ikea pack in other devices without any performance issues.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Sounds like the thermostat is faulty I had a PIR do this and replaced it and all was fine
Depends on the current rating of the cells. Alkaline cells are pretty crap hence why they die quickly with high current use in digital cameras when the flash is used.

Swap them out for a set of and of NimH or lithium AA cells with a higher rating.
You will probably find your original cells were lithium and you swapped them for low current cells and trashed them.
Edited by: "kester76" 20th Jun
jb665 h, 50 m ago

Sounds like the thermostat is faulty I had a PIR do this and replaced it …Sounds like the thermostat is faulty I had a PIR do this and replaced it and all was fine

kester764 h, 1 m ago

Scratch …Scratch thathttps://hivehome.uservoice.com/forums/223103-product-ideas/suggestions/20062549-battery-lifeLooks like they're replacing these hives as they've developed a defect.

Thanks for all your comments. I have emailed Hive about the issue and waiting for Hive staff to respond. I did see the thread kester76 linked to. I wanted to find out if any other HUKD members have experienced a similar issue with there Hive system. Mine is the newer thermostat.

The original batteries were standard alkaline Duracell.

I'll try to remember to post back with an update once I hear from Hive.
Hive Customer Services have replied. A replacement (unsure if new or refurb) thermostat is being posted to me. Should arrive within a week.

I then have to return the current one using a provided returns label.

Rather pleased with the quick turnaround of addressing my email. Just hope the replacement does not have or does not develop the same fault.

Edit: Received confirmation it will be a brand new unit. Apparently they had a faulty batch of thermostats. Strange they never sent out an email about it. Left it to the customer.
Edited by: "thetarget" 20th Jun
thetarget10 h, 11 m ago

Hive Customer Services have replied. A replacement (unsure if new or …Hive Customer Services have replied. A replacement (unsure if new or refurb) thermostat is being posted to me. Should arrive within a week.I then have to return the current one using a provided returns label.Rather pleased with the quick turnaround of addressing my email. Just hope the replacement does not have or does not develop the same fault.Edit: Received confirmation it will be a brand new unit. Apparently they had a faulty batch of thermostats. Strange they never sent out an email about it. Left it to the customer.

Makes sense as a lot of people probably will just replace it themselves thinking it's out warranty. Probably saves them a fortune being sneaky
Glad you got it replaced for free
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants