Groups

Hive help

Is this a really daft question but ...on amazon the BULBS say Alexa compatible ...does that mean I still need a hive hub for Alexa to work with or ...does the bulb work with just Alexa ? I cant seem to find too much about it...just conflicting answesr.

7 Comments

have a look at the q+a for the bulbs but I think you do need the hive hub too.

Original Poster

justanothercid

have a look at the q+a for the bulbs but I think you do need the hive hub … have a look at the q+a for the bulbs but I think you do need the hive hub too.

I did - one said yes needs hub...one said no dont need hub lol so I looked online ...and couldnt really find anything more

Yes, you'll need a Hub for it to work with Alexa. You talk to Alexa, Alexa talks to the Hub, the Hub talks to the light! Without the Hub, the lights can't connect to the internet, so Alexa can't see them (and neither can the Hive app.)

Original Poster

jazzmista

Yes, you'll need a Hub for it to work with Alexa. You talk to Alexa, … Yes, you'll need a Hub for it to work with Alexa. You talk to Alexa, Alexa talks to the Hub, the Hub talks to the light! Without the Hub, the lights can't connect to the internet, so Alexa can't see them (and neither can the Hive app.)

I am thinking the mr's solution of using ....the SWITCH might be the best option lololol

Original Poster

amazon.co.uk/Whi…hub

Although out of stock this bulb says no hub required ...I am lost on this

BSAR101

https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-BulbWorks-Dimmable-Required-Bayonet/dp/B016KB5OZI/ref=sr_1_4?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1480034189&sr=1-4&keywords=hive+hubAlthough out of stock this bulb says no hub required ...I am lost on this

They use different technologies: LIFX has a WiFi chip built into the bulb so it doesn't require a hub to connect to the internet, but the Hive ones have a different system (they have the WiFi chip built into the hub, not the bulb).

Original Poster

tyvm for your help most appreciated
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Free JackpotJoy Plate56
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717

See more discussions