Groups

Hive or Nest & Why?

Initially I would like to upgrade my thermostat, then eventually start building an IOT home infrastructure.

Hive, Nest or other (please specify) and why?

28 Comments

I'm thinking the same but leaning towards Nest as I'm already heavily invested in Google.

We went hive because it suited our decor better. I guess that doesn't help you X)

Most would sooner be on the nest than have hives.

Hive because it came with professional installation by British Gas.

Tado completely hands off and has saved me loads since fitting it myself...

I've pondering this also, but am struggling to see the benefit over a timer.....?

Because it knows when you leave the house for one benefit so no matter what your timers set to it will turn the heating off and then detect when your on your way home and turn heating back on so it's at your desired temp when you walk in the door.

Hive, far better support

What didn't you like about the Tado support?

i have the Hive hub with bulbs and its awful.i dont know if its just faulty but it barely ever works.

smart home....hue...easy to control....piper....non subscription security camera and alarm....hive heating and door sensors..easy to control and fitted by British gas...and alexa to control the lot..all different manufacturers as I feel that sticking to one ties you in to their system,ie apple.
    also they run on z wave,zig bee etc not just one protocol so less chance of the whole thing going down if one goes off for a bit.

nest looks nice but I haven't used it,as far as the learning bit goes,I suppose it's personal preference ,I control the heating by voice,schedule and ifttt...

Early days.

tempt

Hive because it came with professional installation by British Gas.

​Professional + British Gas

Does not compute

Nest all the way, Easy to install (30 minutes from opening the box) and even the wife who is a technophobe is loving the features and simplistic operation.

Honeywell evohome as you can control each individual radiator

aje99999

Because it knows when you leave the house for one benefit so no matter … Because it knows when you leave the house for one benefit so no matter what your timers set to it will turn the heating off and then detect when your on your way home and turn heating back on so it's at your desired temp when you walk in the door.

I can say for sure that the Nest does not do this - at least in reality !

EliTom

Netatmo in my house.

i guess the question is which of these will be around for the long haul. Google has a habit of dropping things and thus I would not choose Nest.

elitom

I can say for sure that the Nest does not do this - at least in reality … I can say for sure that the Nest does not do this - at least in reality !EliTom

Tado does that's why I chose it over the rest and it works flawlessly I've had it over a year now and it saving me approxn£350 a year and I rent it at £6 per month as wanted to try before I buy which us a great idea with Tado, simple to install comes with everything even a screwdriver to do it with I absolutely can't fault the system. Works out the most efficient way to heat your home and even looks at the outside weather to see if it might need to come on earlier etc but the main selling point for me was it's ability to know when I'm there and when I'm not and not by a motion sensor sensing when km home and when I'm not that just wouldn't work for me it's much better that it tracks my phone which is with me when I go out and it detects to s and turns heating off no matter what the timer is set to and then detects me on my way back and if it needs to it turns the heating back on so it's at my desired temp for when I walk through the door, obviously you can also manually change the temp from your phone when your away from home aswell etc.

Well ive read 3 professional independant reviews and all say hive. Google (Nest) doesnt have the support that Hive has (which I got installed by british gas) and is a long way behind. The Hive app is simple and although I havent bought any other connected devices yet then when I do I can see how simple the app would be with lighting, heating, straighteners etc connected together. I personally would choose Hive because it is more established and no one can actually prove is nest will ever overtake that. I havent yet found one review suggesting Nest is better. Go with Hive.

aje99999

Because it knows when you leave the house for one benefit so no matter … Because it knows when you leave the house for one benefit so no matter what your timers set to it will turn the heating off and then detect when your on your way home and turn heating back on so it's at your desired temp when you walk in the door.

How does it know when you leave/return home?

I 'get' the idea of having it set to a constant temperature, can you set the temperature for different times?

i.e. during the night a little cooler (likewise during the day) but first thing in the morning and say teatime a little hotter..?

aje99999

Tado does that's why I chose it over the rest and it works flawlessly … Tado does that's why I chose it over the rest and it works flawlessly I've had it over a year now and it saving me approxn£350 a year and I rent it at £6 per month as wanted to try before I buy which us a great idea with Tado, simple to install comes with everything even a screwdriver to do it with I absolutely can't fault the system. Works out the most efficient way to heat your home and even looks at the outside weather to see if it might need to come on earlier etc but the main selling point for me was it's ability to know when I'm there and when I'm not and not by a motion sensor sensing when km home and when I'm not that just wouldn't work for me it's much better that it tracks my phone which is with me when I go out and it detects to s and turns heating off no matter what the timer is set to and then detects me on my way back and if it needs to it turns the heating back on so it's at my desired temp for when I walk through the door, obviously you can also manually change the temp from your phone when your away from home aswell etc.

what about when you have multiple people living at home all coming and going at different times.

Hi Andy, It follows your phone or as many phones as you link to it so when the last person leaves the house it knows and if you have the timer schedule set to be on at that time the fact q you have left home overrides the timer and turns the heating off it works brilliantly and then as you start in your way home it detects this if you want it to its an option and then looks at what the temp at home is and works out when it needs to turn the heating back on so that it's at the temp you have set it to on the timer for when you walk in the door it just works flawlessly much better than having a sensor detecting when there's movement at home to decide de whether your there or not! Also you can choose which phones /tablets it follows and which it doesn't so if you leave you up tablet at home with the Tado app on its not going to think your at home and so leave the heating on.. Also it works with Amazon Alex for voice control which I think the rest do aswell now but the main function for me is for it to be hands off as I come and go it will even send a message to your phone if you want it to when you leave home to say you have left home and it's turned the heating off... Rent it and see how you get on and if you like me to buy it, don't think the others offer that option, also the app is great and let's you use it out the box or you can customise it with many different time / temp combinations, let's you set minimum away temperatures for frost protection etc, nighttime temp when your asleep, will turn heating on early so it's at your desired temp for when you get out of bed checks the weather constantly etc, I can't fault it!

EN1GMA

what about when you have multiple people living at home all coming and … what about when you have multiple people living at home all coming and going at different times.

You choose which phones you want it to track and which you don't bit you would probably want it to track the phones of everyone in the household but it's up to you, when the last person leaves home it will know there's no more phones at home and turn heating off, when the first person starts to return home it will turn the heating back on or you can set it to only turn it on when they get back home it's you up choice, rent it and see how you get on, read the reviews there very good.

these seem pretty dangerous they can tell the companies when ur house is empty for them to break into

aje99999

Hi Andy, It follows your phone or as many phones as you link to it so … Hi Andy, It follows your phone or as many phones as you link to it so when the last person leaves the house it knows and if you have the timer schedule set to be on at that time the fact q you have left home overrides the timer and turns the heating off it works brilliantly and then as you start in your way home it detects this if you want it to its an option and then looks at what the temp at home is and works out when it needs to turn the heating back on so that it's at the temp you have set it to on the timer for when you walk in the door it just works flawlessly much better than having a sensor detecting when there's movement at home to decide de whether your there or not! Also you can choose which phones /tablets it follows and which it doesn't so if you leave you up tablet at home with the Tado app on its not going to think your at home and so leave the heating on.. Also it works with Amazon Alex for voice control which I think the rest do aswell now but the main function for me is for it to be hands off as I come and go it will even send a message to your phone if you want it to when you leave home to say you have left home and it's turned the heating off... Rent it and see how you get on and if you like me to buy it, don't think the others offer that option, also the app is great and let's you use it out the box or you can customise it with many different time / temp combinations, let's you set minimum away temperatures for frost protection etc, nighttime temp when your asleep, will turn heating on early so it's at your desired temp for when you get out of bed checks the weather constantly etc, I can't fault it!

Which system is this you refer to ..?

andynicol

Which system is this you refer to ..?

It's the Tado system.

aje99999

It's the Tado system.

Nest does the same thing now with a software update, and needs tracking to be turned on. It uses geo fences from mobile phones to detect how far you are from home and turns the heating on when returning. This is new to nest. Nest also benefits from a sensor in the device it self, so if someone comes home without a linked phone, of if a phone battery dies, it still will turn on thanks to the movement sensor. Also as I understand it, the nest is the only true learning system with no schedule. I think nest is the best, and with googles backing will be supported much longer.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Free JackpotJoy Plate56
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717

See more discussions