Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Hive thermostat keeps going into “frost protection” mode

Posted 29th Oct 2020
Anyone else have this problem? I’ll realise it fees a bit cold, go check the heating and for no reason it’s kicked itself into frost protection mode (7 degrees) it has a schedule for 24 hours of the day, just sometimes ignores it!
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
12 Comments
  1. Avatar
    I have hive and my house with heating off at the min is siting around the 18c . Why is it 7c in your house
  2. Avatar
    Are you doing it from the app. I've had some issues recently where I set a temp then if I press back on the app it reset to protect. So could be that. Try it direct from the stat see if it does it from there
  3. Avatar
    Author
    adeljay9229/10/2020 17:09

Are you doing it from the app. I've had some issues recently where I set a …Are you doing it from the app. I've had some issues recently where I set a temp then if I press back on the app it reset to protect. So could be that. Try it direct from the stat see if it does it from there

I do often use the app, maybe it’s an app user rather than a thermostat issue. I’ll give that a go for a bit and see if that sorts it out, thanks!
  4. Avatar
    Author
    ashmac29/10/2020 16:53

I have hive and my house with heating off at the min is siting around the …I have hive and my house with heating off at the min is siting around the 18c . Why is it 7c in your house

It’s not actually 7degrees in the house, if you go away for a while you can set your thermostat to “frost protect” meaning it won’t get cold enough in your house to freeze the pipes (below 7 degrees) mine just seems to automatically activate that occasionally - meaning the heating is completely off! Try it on yours, if you turn your thermostat down to 7, you’ll see a snowflake symbol meaning it’s on frost protect
  5. Avatar
    I had this problem. Do you have it linked to an Amazon account? I did with mine and when I told Alexa to turn the lights off in my lounge it turned the thermostat off too as it was also in a group called lounge. I took the thermostat out of all groups and I’ve not had the problem since.
    Edited by: "Jasandsmi" 29th Oct 2020
  6. Avatar
    Author
    Jasandsmi29/10/2020 17:14

I had this problem. Do you have it linked to an Amazon account? I did …I had this problem. Do you have it linked to an Amazon account? I did with mine and when I told Alexa to turn the lights off in my lounge it turned the thermostat off too as it was also in a group called lounge. I took the thermostat out of all groups and I’ve not had the problem since.

Ooh you might be into something there! I do have scenes set up. None have the thermostat linked, (to my knowledge) with the lights but I might delete it off there and see if that stops it! Thank you!
  7. Avatar
    I don't have hive (I have Nest) but isn't it recommended to keep frost mode on in the winter so your pipes don't freeze?
  8. Avatar
    Nat_urally29/10/2020 17:21

Ooh you might be into something there! I do have scenes set up. None have …Ooh you might be into something there! I do have scenes set up. None have the thermostat linked, (to my knowledge) with the lights but I might delete it off there and see if that stops it! Thank you!

Not a problem. Mine kept turning off and reverting to frost protection mode. It had me confused for weeks. It took me ages to find the problem trawling through the hive support pages.
  9. Avatar

I had this problem. Do you have it linked to an Amazon account? I did …I had this problem. Do you have it linked to an Amazon account? I did with mine and when I told Alexa to turn the lights off in my lounge it turned the thermostat off too as it was also in a group called lounge. I took the thermostat out of all groups and I’ve not had the problem since.

Many thanks,after wasting hours on multiple calls and switching off, rebooting, pairing, issue persisted to keep switching to frost mode.
    I spent some more time searching online, then spotted this thread and your posted, many thanks, tried it and so far all seems ok.
  10. Avatar

Thank you so much for this, it has been driving me crazy trying to work out what has been going on with my Hive Thermostat and the 7oC frost protect issue.
  11. Avatar
    Thank you so much for the Amazon Alexa advice. I have had the same problem since install 2 months ago. It wouldn't happen every morning but at least twice a week I would wake up to a cold 17 degree house. It would only drop to frost protection during the night and not in the day. I have just deleted the thermostat from Alexa app and sure enough the thermostat turned off.
  12. Avatar

Absolutely bang on! I know this is an old thread, but we were really confused about why the heating was boosting to 22 and dropping to 7c and it's because we had the thermostat linked ot our bedroom and we'd say "bedroom on" [22c heat would happen] and "bedroom off" [7c frost protection].. just removed it from the bedroom group and now all is good
Post a comment
Top Merchants