Groups

HK Ebay purchase. Do you think I've been scammed?

Am I being too skeptical and jumping the gun or do you think I have been scammed? I'm not worried as the amount is really small but I would be interested in what some of you make of it.

I haven't ordered anything from overseas for many years but I saw an item recently on Ebay from Hong Kong so decided to purchase. I have bought from China etc. before with no issues but I will admit I'm not up to speed on current "scam" methods. I had an Email from the seller which sounded odd so I thought I'd print the transcript here for peeps to read, digest and perhaps comment on. See what you think...

Dear XXXXXX Thank you for purchasing from us...

New message from: XXXXXX Top Rated Seller(1,220Red Star)

Dear XXXXXX
    Thank you for purchasing from us .
    Your order has been shipped out on time by EDS .
    Here is the tracking number : XXXXXX
    You could track it at http://track.winit.com.cn/tracking/Index/result
    Please don't worry , this shipping way is allowed and recommended by ebay .
    But there is something wrong with ebay system , it showed delivered , but it is still on the way to you. I hope you could kindly wait it patiently for more days . You should receive it with 20-35 business days .
    PLEASE don't open any return request or not received case to us . This is really very bad to our account .
    If any problem or if you don't receive it within 15-40 days when it showed delivered , you could contact me here , we will be always full responsible for it .
    Thank you for your kind understanding.
    Best regards ,
    XXXXXX

I blanked out the personal details with X's but I left the tracking address for viewing because I think it looks really basic/amateurish and not legit at all. I did look at their feedback; of course; which is 1000+ and 99.5% positive. Only a handful of negs - mainly just people who didn't quite understand what they were buying, it seems. Not bad ones at all, really.

I'm quite prepared to lose the small amount I paid and am also happy to wait (only ordered 8/5!) to see if I ever receive the item. I was just curious as to whether anyone reading the above would immediately smell a rat and cry scam? I wondered if they were making me wait a certain amount of time for any claim against them to expire or something? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated as always.

Kind regards to all, Phsy.

10 Comments

They're just doing that to cover their 4r5e, m8.
    I'd reply, asking why it says it's been delivered when it hasn't.
    That way you got a transcript, stating your case.
    Otherwise, check their feedback n Google their eBay username.
    They've obviously sent the item as cheaply as possible.
    I buy 3rd party Transformers from China and it is a bit of lottery.
    GL

My bad, you've already checked their feedback.

Edited by: "jacjacatac" 12th May

What did u order? Mail bride?

Mathaeus

What did u order? Mail bride?

If it's from hong Kong and it does arrive it'll likely be a male bride and they'll claim translation issues.. when he arrives I say put that man to work! :0

I regularly buy low cost items from China via ebay (I guess over 50 purchases over past few years) and have occasionally received an email similar to the one above. I think it is just a confirmation that the item has been dispatched and advising because of the distance that delivery will take a few weeks. I think some of the confusion comes from translation issues.

I have only had one item not arrive from China - which the buyer refunded me immediately when I advised. Every other item has arrived - most early in the suggested delivery period.

I would not be worried.

Original Poster

jacjacatac

They're just doing that to cover their 4r5e, m8.I'd reply, asking why it … They're just doing that to cover their 4r5e, m8.I'd reply, asking why it says it's been delivered when it hasn't.That way you got a transcript, stating your case.Otherwise, check their feedback n Google their eBay username.They've obviously sent the item as cheaply as possible.I buy 3rd party Transformers from China and it is a bit of lottery.GLMy bad, you've already checked their feedback.

I do make a point of rigorously checking feedback of sellers. Checking the negs to see if there are patterns such as quality issues/delivery problems etc. These weren't too bad. Just people who either claimed 'broken on delivery' or didn't read/understand the listing before ordering. To put it simply - I've seen much worse! Hehe. Appreciate your comment though.

Not sure what the deadline for non-delivery is on E bay, but personally I would copy the Email and pay it into E bay messaging replying to them with their Email in the body off the text. Start off something like, 'Thank you for your email (copy enclosed), I appreciate that errors Can happen. I will hold off opening a non-delivery case until ..xxxxx (whatever the Ebay rule is, less a couple of days).
    This covers you as far as the rules for communicating outside Ebay (I believe).

I get these all the time

They are simply providing you tracking details and explain shipping times because customers get irrational when having to wait too long.

This is the tracking number

How could this be a scam?

I don't get it

Original Poster

Kyballion

I get these all the timeThey are simply providing you tracking details … I get these all the timeThey are simply providing you tracking details and explain shipping times because customers get irrational when having to wait too long.This is the tracking numberHow could this be a scam?I don't get it

Well, whilst I appreciate the comment - here's the thing. You say you get them all the time. Therefore, you know what they are/who they are/what they mean etc. This is the first time I've ever received any message like this and has a link to a "tracking" website that looks like it was put together by a five year old. I'm not being irrational or impatient. I couldn't care less about the speed of delivery and as it's such a small amount of money, I wouldn't bother chasing after it anyway.

So, why ask the question? I was just more curious as to others thoughts/comments (such as yours) and their experiences. If it was a well known scam method that I'm just not aware of or seeing then it would be nice to know. Then, I can follow it up in the hope that others who might spend more of their hard-earned from said seller might not fall into the same issue. At the very least, I can give them the feedback they deserve.

I honestly hope it's all kosher and I get my item. I hope that they are a trustworthy seller and everything they have told me is legitimate. Truth is, like many things in this life nothing is certain. Please don't think badly of me for being curious and asking a harmless question though...

Seems perfectly fine to me. I've bought over 40+ item from China/HK via eBay and now and again you do receive messages like the one you got. That seller has over 1000 stars right? You should use a bit of common sense and read his feedback.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want some backless loafers for men33
      2. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)510
      3. Xbox one region locked codes?22
      4. Phone "Upgrade"36

See more discussions