Expired

H&M declined a refund?

LocalFound 27th Feb 2013
I bought some items from H&M online and paid woth my debit card but they were too big so I had to send them back. On my account it said returned but there was no money in my bank account so I emailed them. This is the reply I got:

We are sorry to hear that you have not yet received your refund.  We have looked in to your account and can see that we attempted to pay £18.99 back to your credit/debit card on the 20th of February, however, this was unsuccessful. In order for us to process your refund and get your funds to you as quickly as possible, we kindly ask that you provide us with your sort code and account number so that we can pay the funds directly in to your bank account.  As soon as this information is received, we will be able to pay this amount in to your account straight away.  Please note refunds can take 3-5 working days to be processed by your bank. 

I havent sent them my sort code or account number because I would never share that over email however 2 things:
1. Why would a refund be declined? They managed to take the money out of my account!
2. Why would they need my sort code and account number?

Any help welcomed

Roxy
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. H&M
  3. London
16 Comments
why dont you just call them and get it sorted over the phone.
if bank details are not processed correctly with all details correctly entered they can float in the system then eventually get returned to sender.
i dont blame you for not sharing banking details over emails.
but ring the official phone number for them and get your money back.
remember you did provide bank details in the first place so you trusted them with them once before. many systems do not hold bank details on a system unless theres a dd set up.
Surely calling customer services and asking someone who works there would resolve all your problems?

If you aren't willing to do so because of an 0845 number just use an app (WeQ4U or similar) and it will be free.
I would contact your bank and ask why they declined this being paid back?
Original Poster
Im just wary that they asked for the account number and sort code. When I paid securely I gave my card number not account number and sort code.
Will try giving them a ring.

Roxy
Try calling 01315243810
Edited by: "lisajohnsonxxx" 27th Feb 2013
Hi,

I used debit card too.
I have never had other problems with other companies refunding me. happen 1/2 months ago..
I had the same issue with H&M. They sent me the exact email like yours. So I rang them on their official number. They said to me it was system related, something to do with the amount they could refund..i cant remember exacts what they said, but I know it was system related. So I was still cautious in between this I did contact my bank to ask whether this should be happening they said not really, they should offer a refund..

I gave the H&M CS my sort code, account number..

watch out they actually give you the refund because with me .. even after I gave them the details they still didnt process the refund, well over two weeks after this.. So I emailed them they replied with the usual sorry..we will process refund within these working days. then the refund came.

Edited by: "default12" 27th Feb 2013
Hey. Had the same problem. Basically you may have used a discount code in your transaction as I did (£5 off). They said to me that the banks would look at my refund as a fraudulent transaction..why I hear you ask? Because there's a glitch in their system which means when they process a refund they also give you the £5 too, the same £5 you had discounted.

So in order for them to successfully complete a refund they send it straight from their account into yours, like you would do when paying for something here on hukd. Simples.

Example..my refund was £13.. Staff on the phone said they had to give me £18 as they couldn't do it any other way so requested my sort code and account number. Refund came within a week then.
i guess sometimes they don't keep records of the payment details once they have received the payment. but also possibly to prevent fraud so that you quote the same details as what they have on their system so they can confirm it's you?

i have been asked for this when i got a refund from tesco direct. not a problem for me releasing this information to them.
they havent ask for any details that are not on a cheque so why the fuss?
jamstaruk1972

Because its not a cheque, rather a bank transfer.
Does anybody know if they have now stopped this code from working?
jamstaruk1972

exactly - nobody can get into your bank account and remove money with just the account number and sort code - only pay money in !

So best is to email them the details they have asked for and then you have email proof that you have provided the correct details should the money still not get refunded in a timely manner.

Doing this kind of stuff over the phone has no traceability!

EliTom
Banned
Are you for real?

I havent sent them my sort code or account number because I would never share that over email however 2 things:
1. Why would a refund be declined? They managed to take the money out of my account!
2. Why would they need my sort code and account number?

Have you never paid for anything with a cheque which clearly shows your sortcode and account number? They cant do anything except pay money in with this.

Point 2 - er, perhaps because they want to refund you.....
Banned
Captainbeavus

and your point is? oO
Captainbeavus

but its the same information

just think of it this way - OP used a debit card - Debit cars also have the sort code and account number clearly printed on the front - do you really think banks would print customer sensitive information on their cards if it was so easy to get into an account with only this information.

just email H&M with the info requested - and you will get your money back - simplz

EliTom
Original Poster
Thankyou for your replies. Even the more cynical ones. I am young so have never paid for anything with cheque and you hear about fraud happening all the time hence my worry. The issue is sorted now.

Roxy
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants