HMRC and child benefit

Posted 18th Dec 2019
For the past 3 years I’ve been earning over £60k and claiming child benefit for my 13yo daughter.At this time each of those years i’ve been filling an online tax return and paid the whole child benefit back to HMRC.Can I request that they just change my tax code or can I inform them online to just stop the whole thing completely?My wife works only part time.
It’s getting a real pain in the neck filling this form in each year
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
I remember reading about this once and I’m sure there’s another option. I would call them and ask.
You aren't going to win much favour here as the way you have written this post comes across like a real troll post.

Ironically though I can sympathise as I have found myself in the same situation this year. Your options are two-fold. 1) pay it back in full via self assessment or 2) stop claiming.

I choose option 1 as I'm heavily commission based whilst my wife doesn't earn overly well.
Just a thought are you eligible to claim part of your wife’s tax allowance? If so you can ask for this to be backdated and offset against what you owe
daisytex18/12/2019 22:12

Just a thought are you eligible to claim part of your wife’s tax a …Just a thought are you eligible to claim part of your wife’s tax allowance? If so you can ask for this to be backdated and offset against what you owe

That's also capped so he earns to much for that too.
Call up the child benefit department and request for the child benefit to stop. They’ll be able to do it right away and send a letter out confirming. It’s a joke of a system in that If you earned just under £50k before deductions and so did your wife you would still be entitled to the full amount but as soon as one of you goes over that’s it Edited to add, even if you do cancel it you’ll still have to fill out self assessment one last time for this tax year.
Edited by: "MiniMissyMoo" 18th Dec 2019
Just as a side note, make sure your wife earns enough that she doesn't need the N.I. credits from child benefit before you cancel it. I think there is a form that can be completed for the credits now instead of claiming CB
g8spur18/12/2019 22:00

You aren't going to win much favour here as the way you have written this …You aren't going to win much favour here as the way you have written this post comes across like a real troll post.Ironically though I can sympathise as I have found myself in the same situation this year. Your options are two-fold. 1) pay it back in full via self assessment or 2) stop claiming.I choose option 1 as I'm heavily commission based whilst my wife doesn't earn overly well.

“A real troll post”?
Really? I’d answer your comment but to be honest I haven’t a clue what you’re on about.My work colleagues here haven’t either but if you could explain it better it’d be much appreciated
Thanks for the replies folks.I think I’ll give them a ring tomorrow and stop it
Littlemunckin18/12/2019 23:16

Just as a side note, make sure your wife earns enough that she doesn't …Just as a side note, make sure your wife earns enough that she doesn't need the N.I. credits from child benefit before you cancel it. I think there is a form that can be completed for the credits now instead of claiming CB

That’s a good point but I’m pretty sure you’re only entitled to the NI credits until the child is 12. If you do have a child under 12 and cancel child benefit due to you or a partner becoming a high tax earner you will still receive NI credit until the child turns 12.
scorpio.iscariot18/12/2019 23:22

Thanks for the replies folks.I think I’ll give them a ring tomorrow and s …Thanks for the replies folks.I think I’ll give them a ring tomorrow and stop it

FYI: If your wife is the one who receives the child benefit payment it will need to be her who calls.
MiniMissyMoo18/12/2019 23:27

FYI: If your wife is the one who receives the child benefit payment it …FYI: If your wife is the one who receives the child benefit payment it will need to be her who calls.

Thanks for that.Is there a way on cancelling it online?
scorpio.iscariot18/12/2019 23:21

“A real troll post”?Really? I’d answer your comment but to be honest I have …“A real troll post”?Really? I’d answer your comment but to be honest I haven’t a clue what you’re on about.My work colleagues here haven’t either but if you could explain it better it’d be much appreciated

I think they got a little bit of the green eyed monster.
MiniMissyMoo:

That’s a good point but I’m pretty sure you’re only entitled to the NI credits until the child is 12. If you do have a child under 12 and cancel child benefit due to you or a partner becoming a high tax earner you will still receive NI credit until the child turns 12.

True, but only if the lower earner was the claimant in the first place. HMRC aren't renowned for common sense in this unfortunately!
scorpio.iscariot18/12/2019 23:30

Thanks for that.Is there a way on cancelling it online?

Yes but only if you have sign up details which is a palaver in itself as you need to wait until they send out a password or whatever it is to be able to log in. More info here gov.uk/chi…fit
MiniMissyMoo18/12/2019 23:32

Yes but only if you have sign up details which is a palaver in itself as …Yes but only if you have sign up details which is a palaver in itself as you need to wait until they send out a password or whatever it is to be able to log in. More info here https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-tax-charge/stop-child-benefit

Yes I have the password and everything as I fill out a return every year
Littlemunckin18/12/2019 23:31

MiniMissyMoo:That’s a good point but I’m pretty sure you’re only entitled t …MiniMissyMoo:That’s a good point but I’m pretty sure you’re only entitled to the NI credits until the child is 12. If you do have a child under 12 and cancel child benefit due to you or a partner becoming a high tax earner you will still receive NI credit until the child turns 12.True, but only if the lower earner was the claimant in the first place. HMRC aren't renowned for common sense in this unfortunately!

Yes that’s very true. In this day an age you would think there would be a system that would know who earns and claims what automatically but nope it doesn’t work like that. There are many families out there who are not aware they may no longer be entitled to child benefit, HMRC have admitted it themselves. This applies mainly to children of a certain age, those with children born since the changes will know about it unless they have only recently become a high earner and have long forgotten about it. Unfortunately many have been caught out and now potentially owe thousands back with fines on top (although with a reasonable excuse they waive the fines.) Anyone who comes across this who is a high tax earner with a child under 12, if your partner has a low income or currently isn’t working it’s still worth them putting in a claim for child benefit without receiving the actual payment so they’re entitled to NI credit.
Edited by: "MiniMissyMoo" 18th Dec 2019
scorpio.iscariot18/12/2019 23:33

Yes I have the password and everything as I fill out a return every year

Sorry I meant does your wife? If she receives the child benefit I think she may have to have her own online sign in details being the claimant. If it’s you who receives it then yes you’ll be able to cancel online.
MiniMissyMoo18/12/2019 23:44

Sorry I meant does your wife? If she receives the child benefit I think …Sorry I meant does your wife? If she receives the child benefit I think she may have to have her own online sign in details being the claimant. If it’s you who receives it then yes you’ll be able to cancel online.

Ahh I see.No its me who has the online sign in.I’ll give them a ring tomorrow anyway see what they say.Thanks
scorpio.iscariot18/12/2019 23:46

Ahh I see.No its me who has the online sign in.I’ll give them a ring t …Ahh I see.No its me who has the online sign in.I’ll give them a ring tomorrow anyway see what they say.Thanks

You’re welcome
g8spur18/12/2019 22:00

You aren't going to win much favour here as the way you have written this …You aren't going to win much favour here as the way you have written this post comes across like a real troll post.Ironically though I can sympathise as I have found myself in the same situation this year. Your options are two-fold. 1) pay it back in full via self assessment or 2) stop claiming.I choose option 1 as I'm heavily commission based whilst my wife doesn't earn overly well.

I didn't think it sounded trolly in any way.

Your reply sounded more trolly if anything!!
ScubaDudes18/12/2019 23:30

I think they got a little bit of the green eyed monster.

Strange assumption considering I said I'm actually in the exact same situation.
Gollywood19/12/2019 01:46

I didn't think it sounded trolly in any way.Your reply sounded more …I didn't think it sounded trolly in any way.Your reply sounded more trolly if anything!!

I think it was just how I read it complaining about having to fill in a long form because of earning too much. Just seems an odd thing to complain about at a time of year where a lot of people really struggle.

Regardless I answered the question genuinely and offered the best advise I could so I don't think anyone need be upset.
MiniMissyMoo:

Yes that’s very true. In this day an age you would think there would be a system that would know who earns and claims what automatically but nope it doesn’t work like that. There are many families out there who are not aware they may no longer be entitled to child benefit, HMRC have admitted it themselves. This applies mainly to children of a certain age, those with children born since the changes will know about it unless they have only recently become a high earner and have long forgotten about it. Unfortunately many have been caught out and now potentially owe thousands back with fines on top (although with a reasonable excuse they waive the fines.) Anyone who comes across this who is a high tax earner with a child under 12, if your partner has a low income or currently isn’t working it’s still worth them putting in a claim for child benefit without receiving the actual payment so they’re entitled to NI credit.

You sound like you're in the same profession as me. The number of people who have been caught for it recently is ridiculous, especially when HMRC have been sat on the info for years. But i second what you say about the fine waiver - people literally just have to ask for it to be waived and they don't argue
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions