HMRC SCAM TEXT (Watch Out)

Found 21st Dec 2015
Just got the below message via text, sender came up as HMRC but I haven't been working so I know I shouldn't be eligible for a tax refund.
Furthermore, though the website looks legit, clicking the HMRC logo on the top right does nothing, and finally there's no https or padlock in the address bar.

Your tax refund (318.12 GBP) is now available. Claim it here taxrefhmrc2112.no-ip.co.uk/ directly on your debit/credit card.

1. Misc
  2. Watch
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Watch
18 Comments

I received exactly the same message, definitely a scam.

Me too. Watch out it's a scam as is a lot of pay pal and other banking emails. You just can't be alert enough for these thieves to try and con you! They look very genuine at first glance!!! Be warned.

Original Poster

fanpages

[ https://www.gov.uk/report-suspicious-emails-websites-phishing ]

​thanks, sent the info over to the email address regarding this matter.

Yes I got exactly the same message at 12:18pm today. I reported to HMRC scam phishing@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk.

Me too. The world is full of nasty people.

obeone

Me too. The world is full of nasty people.

...including those that do not work for HM Revenue & Customs.

oO Come on people, why the hell would HMRC be texting?!

cdm22

oO Come on people, why the hell would HMRC be texting?!

Osbourne and his fantastic "digital revolution". I won't be surprised if it'll be possible to get text reminders sooner or later considering they're trying to get everyone to do their returns and everything else online

Edited by: "kiish" 21st Dec 2015

Original Poster

UPDATE:

Thank you for reporting the suspicious SMS / text message you have received.

We can confirm this is a scam and was not issued by HM Revenue and Customs.  Do not respond to the message, or follow any links contained within the message.

HMRC provides security advice which can be found within the following link:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/index.htm

Regards,

HMRC Online Security Team

Google has marked the site as Phishing site now as well with warning displayed.

Banned

bloody hell.
so many scams this week, not to mention the Aldi and Tesco

A scam is not just for Christmas

exactly the same scam today, nasty people

Thanks OP for the heads up. not received the message but your post has been very helpful im sure to many people.

Same scam received today:

You received from HMRC 318.12 GBP, for more information visit hmrcref1903.no-ip.co.uk
Edited by moderator: "removed direct link" 21st Mar 2016

Original Poster

Gpee

Same scam received today:You received from HMRC 318.12 GBP, for more … Same scam received today:You received from HMRC 318.12 GBP, for more information visit hmrcref1903.no-ip.co.uk

​Heard my manager got one today and be phoned up HMRC directly, soon as he said the word 'text' they said fake.
Perhaps they should put out warnings for people to be wary of these scams.
Edited by moderator: "removed direct link" 21st Mar 2016

Gpee

Same scam received today:You received from HMRC 318.12 GBP, for more … Same scam received today:You received from HMRC 318.12 GBP, for more information visit deleted

1 comment...

and you provide a clickable url of the scam X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions