Groups

HMS HOOD

The last remaining survivor, Ted Briggs died today at 85

She was the ship sunk by the Bismarck, she went down in 3 minutes taking all but 3 of the 1418 man crew.

She was a massive ship, pride of the Royal Navy throughout her service.

Her sinking is considered the most shocking event of WW2

What a waste of life eh

21 Comments

Original Poster

http://www.maritimequest.com/warship_directory/great_britain/battleships/hood_1918/hms_hood_05.JPG

Wasn't she a beauty

aye, i saw this earlier, very sad :-(

we should have a minutes silence on here, no posts

Banned

RedIron;3126101

Wasn't she a beauty

Cant say Id describe as a thing of beauty!

Sad though... so hats off to the old fella.

Original Poster

ADZ1478;3126118

we should have a minutes silence on here, no posts

When is BG1 off-line next

Seriously though, the RN should do something to remember her and her crew

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1450000/images/_1454379_new_bow300outsize.jpg

That's her now

very sad . lest we forget

Her sinking is considered the most shocking event of WW2.....

yes shocking, but what about hiroshima?

Original Poster

guv;3126126

Cant say Id describe as a thing of beauty!Sad though... so hats off to … Cant say Id describe as a thing of beauty!Sad though... so hats off to the old fella.

She's a work of art, a proper warship they don't build them like her any more

Original Poster

Sheep87;3126182

Her sinking is considered the most shocking event of WW2.....yes … Her sinking is considered the most shocking event of WW2.....yes shocking, but what about hiroshima?

It's from a British perspective, she was the flagship of the Royal Navy, pride of England

RedIron;3126185

She's a work of art, a proper warship they don't build them like her any … She's a work of art, a proper warship they don't build them like her any more

agreed rep given :thumbsup:

almost as shocking as the repeated bombing of civilian children in Berlin!!

RedIron;3126211

It's from a British perspective, she was the flagship of the Royal Navy, … It's from a British perspective, she was the flagship of the Royal Navy, pride of England

Ah I see in that case yes, it was a tremendous tradgedy, and I agree that the RN should do more to remember her and alll that lost their brave lives on her

adamsxi;3126221

almost as shocking as the repeated bombing of civilian children in … almost as shocking as the repeated bombing of civilian children in Berlin!!

what?

And for once we can't have one thread which has to be turned into a debate?

once a troll always a troll I say.

Banned

mono2k6;3126234

what?

think we have a German sympathiser among the ranks :x off with their head!

lumoruk;3126264

think we have a German sympathiser among the ranks :x off with their head!

is that me or the other guy youre talking about

RedIron;3126211

It's from a British perspective, she was the flagship of the Royal Navy, … It's from a British perspective, she was the flagship of the Royal Navy, pride of England

just being a pedant but I'm sure a good number of scots also died. Pride of Britain I think you meant.

apart from that totally agree have a look on here truly remarkable reading up on it

hmshood.com/

Banned

mono2k6;3126279

is that me or the other guy youre talking about

the other guy :thumbsup:

adamsxi;3126221

almost as shocking as the repeated bombing of civilian children in … almost as shocking as the repeated bombing of civilian children in Berlin!!

Child seeking smart bombs? I don't think we have those yet let alone in WWII... :thinking:

Robotochan;3126319

Child seeking smart bombs? I don't think we have those yet let alone in … Child seeking smart bombs? I don't think we have those yet let alone in WWII... :thinking:

my thoughts too

Original Poster

ants97;3126284

just being a pedant but I'm sure a good number of scots also died. Pride … just being a pedant but I'm sure a good number of scots also died. Pride of Britain I think you meant. apart from that totally agree have a look on here truly remarkable reading up on ithttp://www.hmshood.com/

Of course my mistake

I was just looking at the pics on that site, it was amazing how she floated with all that armour

http://www.hmshood.com/ship/armour.jpg

12 inches thick in some places
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …2136
      2. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)1314
      3. Anyone else used www.completesavings.co.uk44
      4. New flamedeer hunting 'game'....57

See more discussions