Ho to format seemingly unformattable microsd card

Found 23rd Apr 2017
I have a not too old SanDisk Ultra 32GB microsd card which was in an android phone and stopped working. If you put it in an adapter then into the pc sd card slot it sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't (no problem with adapter or slot either). If you try right clicking on the drive it hangs and then says please insert a disk.
If I load disk management in windows with the sd card in it hangs.
SDformatter v4.0 says it doesn't like the disk.

I'm pretty sure I ran h2testw on the sd card when i first bought it and I got it from somewhere reputable. Is it just completely knackered?
Community Updates
15 Comments
I think these have a bad rep for not lasting long
I'd cut and run. Sounds like it's shot already and even if you did manage to format it would you want to trust any important data on there? If it's not too old, check if there's any kind of warranty but must likely best to bin it
japes

I'd cut and run. Sounds like it's shot already and even if you did manage … I'd cut and run. Sounds like it's shot already and even if you did manage to format it would you want to trust any important data on there? If it's not too old, check if there's any kind of warranty but must likely best to bin it

Actually I don't know why I said format. Ideally I want to get pictures off. Duuuuuuh
could try "recuva" I think is called.
MIDURIX

Actually I don't know why I said format. Ideally I want to get pictures … Actually I don't know why I said format. Ideally I want to get pictures off. Duuuuuuh

For clarity: if just looking to access data, do not attempt to format the card and do not attempt to write any more data to the card. Previous poster mentioned Recuva which is plausible, but you would need to have a device recognise the card first, and that appears to be the issue. Beyond trying different card readers, there's probably not much else you can realistically do before seeking professional assistance.
I was more thinking it was the crappy ee phone my mum has which has just corrupted the card, rather than the card being completely dead. Not massively fussed about photos on their, so if I could wipe and then do some tests on the card that would be good. Will try recuva
I had a SanDisk 8gb card that was in a dashcam. It corrupted itself. When I tried to format it, it said it's capacity was 105gb !! Something gone wrong somewhere and after 2 hours of failed attempt using both windows and mac, no luck. I even downloaded SanDisk's own format tool. Still no good. It was like the files were encrypted / protected and I could delete them but as soon as I put the card back in again, all the deleted files reappeared. In the end I just threw it away and bought another, not sandisk card.
My one had a 10 year warranty, contact sandisk and ask them that's what I did!
Use the official SD Formatter, change the options to full format and size adjustment to on.

sdcard.org/dow…_4/
dcx_badass

Use the official SD Formatter, change the options to full format and size … Use the official SD Formatter, change the options to full format and size adjustment to on.https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I tried that before and it says it doesn't work with that type of disk or something similar. Just doesn't like it.
jackr95

My one had a 10 year warranty, contact sandisk and ask them that's what I … My one had a 10 year warranty, contact sandisk and ask them that's what I did!

Just had a check and because it's an ultra card it might be 10 year or lifetime. Bought 1/11/14 for £10.16 from Amazon, which must have been a deal on this site because it currently sells for more now! Will see what Amazon say.
MIDURIX

Just had a check and because it's an ultra card it might be 10 year or … Just had a check and because it's an ultra card it might be 10 year or lifetime. Bought 1/11/14 for £10.16 from Amazon, which must have been a deal on this site because it currently sells for more now! Will see what Amazon say.

I'm pretty sure they just pass you onto sandisk. It was very easy for me to do. I had the 128gb sd that corrupted ! I also got mine from amazon !
I had a Lexar card that failed, they replaced it without any fuss.
This is what I did last time I had a corrupted card You tube
should maybe change your question as noone is actually bothering to read the thread....
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions