Holiday Advice

17
Posted 30th Mar
Looking for some advice on my upcoming holiday.

I have a Holiday booked for 16th June for two weeks in Turkey with Jet2Holidays. Ive paid £240 deposit but the rest is to be paid on the 6th April.

I'm in a dilema and would like your opinions...
Should I take the hit on the deposit and cancel the holiday or should I pay the rest of the holiday and either go, if this epidemic is over or pay in full and try and claim all it back via Jet2 my nationwide travel insurance?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
cancel all direct debit, its better keep cash in your hands rather then claiming money back as its going to be vouchers only. In case situation will improve you can book another holiday.
Edited by: "romas.cacurinas" 30th Mar
romas.cacurinas30/03/2020 08:48

cancel all direct debit, its better keep cash in your hands rather then …cancel all direct debit, its better keep cash in your hands rather then claiming money back as its going to be vouchers only. In case situation will improve you can book another holiday.


Terrible advice.

If the company goes bust, vouchers are worthless.

Far better to pay it off in full on credit card if possible, then in Jet2 cancel you are entitled to a refund but if they dont or they go bust, claim off credit card company and if that fails, claim off travel insurance.
Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 30th Mar
ArcadeAssassin30/03/2020 09:02

Terrible advice. If the company goes bust, vouchers are worthless. Far …Terrible advice. If the company goes bust, vouchers are worthless. Far better to pay it off in full on credit card if possible, then in Jet2 cancel you are entitled to a refund but if they dont or they go bust, claim off credit card company and if that fails, claim off travel insurance.


Personal expierence in last days, insurance wont cover the virus, just made claim on credit card, received reply sorry they cannot help due to “n” reasons.... please continue pursue the company. Personally believe its better to keep cash in hands, as its gives more flexibility and freedom. In case you pay for your holiday now and situation wont improve you probably be able to get rufund however its going to be complicated and it wil take a lot of energy.
I would keep my money an try get deposit back after all there not going too expect everyone too pay as a lot off people will be too il too pay unfortunately
as my old Dad used to say
"your money is the last thing you part with" and
"a fool and his money are soon parted"

stood me in good stead all my life.
so ensure you pay no more money. you could risk jet2holidays cancelling your holiday in which case they should refund you the deposit. or you could carefully examine the T&Cs of your contract and/or travel insurance and see whether your deposit is refundable.
either way, this is all down to your attitude to risk. personally, I am very risk averse and would not take this holiday at this time.
Nationwide Travel Insurance say they will cover anything booked before 18th March for Coronavirus related cancellations. Had a message last week on the banking app.
Avatar
deleted1793489
I would personally take the hit. We have had our wedding postponed but had made full payment on hotel for honeymoon, hotel haven't refunded back as yet and they offer full refund of cancelled within a week). Flights are multiple connections booked with opodo...refuse to speak unless travelling in 7days but are now offering vouchers refund if the airline(s) are offering it. We have annual travel insurance and booked through credit card but isn't just as simple as saying to credit card company- do a chargeback. In my situation, I'd rather take the hit.
I’m in the same boat to pay the rest on 28 April. Paying by credit card so if all goes wrong they should pay back holiday insurance only covers up to £3000 so will be out of pocket
Peeps, just be aware that any credit card cover under Section 75 simply sees the CCCo being jointly liable as the merchant under the same terms as the merchant, and if the merchant's t&c states that any post-deferment refund will be paid in jelly beans then that is what the CCCo would replicate (assuming the jelly bean t&c is legal).
romas.cacurinas30/03/2020 09:08

Personal expierence in last days, insurance wont cover the virus, just …Personal expierence in last days, insurance wont cover the virus, just made claim on credit card, received reply sorry they cannot help due to “n” reasons.... please continue pursue the company. Personally believe its better to keep cash in hands, as its gives more flexibility and freedom. In case you pay for your holiday now and situation wont improve you probably be able to get rufund however its going to be complicated and it wil take a lot of energy.


Regardless, Should be atol protected so if they went bust they could claim it back etc. It would just take a while.
It's highly unlikely anyone is going to be going on holiday in the next 6 months or maybe even this year. Jet2 must know this and should be letting you cancel and get your deposit back.
I've had a holiday (26th April) cancelled by Jet2, as theres no flights a full (cash) refund is pending.

I've just paid the remainder of a family holiday to Florida (Oct 2020), I am 100% convinced I'll receive a full refund should the flights still be grounded by then.
terriclarkfan30/03/2020 08:46

Simon Calder has covered this.



A point I never realised before reading that ^ , is that if you cancel before full payment is made, a holiday company can pursue you for the full deposit balance if you booked with a low deposit discount.

Possibly the OP would fall into this category...
Edited by: "andynicol" 30th Mar
tardytortoise30/03/2020 09:29

as my old Dad used to say"your money is the last thing you part with" and …as my old Dad used to say"your money is the last thing you part with" and "a fool and his money are soon parted"stood me in good stead all my life.so ensure you pay no more money. you could risk jet2holidays cancelling your holiday in which case they should refund you the deposit. or you could carefully examine the T&Cs of your contract and/or travel insurance and see whether your deposit is refundable.either way, this is all down to your attitude to risk. personally, I am very risk averse and would not take this holiday at this time.


I like this, mostly bcos of the old Dad bit
Edited by: "JumpMan1980" 30th Mar
Avatar
deleted1793489
Just an update - we still have days left in order to cancel our hotel for a full refund and we cancelled about 2 weeks ago). The hotel have now stopped answering calls and emails. Initiated chargeback through credit card, will take 20 days or so, spent over an hour on phone.
yorkie1230/03/2020 09:30

Nationwide Travel Insurance say they will cover anything booked before …Nationwide Travel Insurance say they will cover anything booked before 18th March for Coronavirus related cancellations. Had a message last week on the banking app.


Yeah right, still fighting to get money back from them for the Flybe fiasco, you need to send tons of stuff to their "dispute" team, they will just try to delay things with request for stuff that doesn't exists
Post a comment
Avatar
@
    Text

    Discussions