Holiday advice - Ireland - travels hotels etc

Found 29th May
Hi im going to Ireland for my 32nd birthday with my partner - starting at Dublin - have a week to explore - might book one night at lough rynn castle (treat the Mrs) was wondering what else we should do? and any advice re accomodation for Dublin - Probably have to hire a car for a few days - was thinking of Maybe going to Cork from Dublin (or somewhere cheaper basically) then across to Galway then up to Lough Rynn - are the cliffs of Moher anything special?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Accommodation can be quite costly in and around Dublin.
We have just spent the bank holiday just outside on Richmond Street near Rathmines,
10mins bus journey from Temple bar, buses run every few mins and the road from Dublin to Richmond Street
20 mins walk

Booked via Airbnb, got from Friday till Monday , whole apartment with bedroom, kitchen , wifi, bathroom, sky TV for the whole weekend cheaper than a night in a hotel in Dublin Centre
bruno116 is spot on about Dublin hotels in summer. You don't need the car in Dublin, awful traffic and not easy to park. The attractions in city centre are very walkable. Book your hire car from the airport and go back out to collect it after your city break, then you can leave it back as you fly out. Aircoach (€6) to and from the airport will most likely drop you to within a short walk of your accomodation.

As you're driving around bring your phone and car charger for Google Maps satnav. Your UK data and phone contract works there. Ask wherever you're staying or visiting for the Eircode (postcode). They're extremely accurate and should reduce travelling stress. Really helpful particularily if you're staying in quiet airbnb's.

Because all the main roads and motorways radiate out from Dublin, travelling in other directions can be very slow, so travelling from Cork up the west coast and then on to Lough Rynn (in Co. Leitrim?), having used up a couple of days in Dublin, would be ambitious. Maybe keep that for another trip, flying to Cork or Kerry airports and hiring a car from there?

If you went straight across from Dublin to the Cliffs of Moher area you might find it more doable. You can then drive up through Galway City (dreadful traffic in morning and afternoon rush hours) taking the road west to Connemara and the town of Clifden. Then maybe north to County Mayo for a night. En route stop off at Ballynahinch Castle Hotel for Guinness and a sandwich, and have a walk around the stunning riverside grounds.
ballynahinch-castle.com/?ut…nic

I've stayed recently in some cracking airbnb's along the west coast, and it's a great way to meet the locals.

Just some random ideas, hope you enjoy it.
Agree with the airbnb or if you wanting something slightly different. Stay in Balbriggan to avoid the Dublin drink/food costs, nice coastal town,beach and direct train into Dublin takes 35-40 minutes, train and bus station is less than 5 minute walk away. Last time a pint was 4-5 Euro in the hotel. Bracken Court Hotel, Balbriggan. Also you can get the train north and even add in a day trip to Belfast with the Titanic Centre. From Balbriggan you can also do Tayto Park, Europes largest wooden roller coaster, crisp factory tour Tayto Park. Which is only around 30 min drive inland. You could also take a trip past Trim Castle (Part of it was the castle from braveheart) - If you looking I do not recommend the Trim Castle Hotel! 50 minute drive from Balbriggan. Also heading towards Trim and Athlone you can do the Boyne Valley drive which is also nice.
33879409-7GFOu.jpg
33879409-yHHn8.jpg
This could take you onto Athlone, basically the geographical centre of Ireland. Always loved this as a base and again avoiding the daft Dublin prices and the higher Galway ones also. From Athlone it's an hour into Galway straight down the motorway and will also tie into your Lough Rynn Castle. Athone itself sits on the edge of Lough Ree with viking boat trips, Athlone Castle and many other things to do in the town itself. From athlone you can also do the Kilbeggan Distillery Experience. Or Tullamore Dew factory tour (about a 1/3 of the price of the Jamison Tour in Dublin) Tullamore Dew Factory Tour. In Athlone itself I've stayed in two hotels and would say I like them both, though the Radisson for its nice location right on the river (even better if you get a castle view room) and The Prince Of Wales Hotel in the centre (5 min walk from each other) for its food. Radisson Blu Athlone. Prince Of Wales Athlone. Athlone is also home to Irelands true oldest pub (Guinness Book of Records). Sean's Bar Athlone

33879409-7VVJu.jpg
33879409-Yybtj.jpg33879409-kFNIf.jpg33879409-EOT2e.jpg

Forgot to add if you want to stay slightly south of Dublin the hotel in Balbriggan has a sister hotel The Courtyard Leixlip, the first home of Arthur Guinness. Youtube Vid.

It's also handy for Kildare Shopping Village Outlet
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 29th May
Had a great time for a friends 40th in Dublin, be sure to have the best pint of Guinness ,food and entertainment at Murray's Bar ,O'Connell St.
Went on train a day trip to Belfast, visited Titanic Museum.
Used the Dart in Dublin for the day ..'hop on hop off train' .
bruno1163 h, 1 m ago

Accommodation can be quite costly in and around Dublin.We have just spent …Accommodation can be quite costly in and around Dublin.We have just spent the bank holiday just outside on Richmond Street near Rathmines,10mins bus journey from Temple bar, buses run every few mins and the road from Dublin to Richmond Street20 mins walkBooked via Airbnb, got from Friday till Monday , whole apartment with bedroom, kitchen , wifi, bathroom, sky TV for the whole weekend cheaper than a night in a hotel in Dublin Centre

Hi which place did you use
We stayed just off Richmond Street on the canal path between the Portobello and The Barge Inn.
Pretty busy around the main Street. But quieter down canal path.
Lots of places on Airbnb.
Caught the aircoach from the airport to apartment. 7 euro and they run every 10 mins or so.
The bus back into Dublin centre was 3 euro.
The dart runs to the coast and is accessible.

Loved every minute
Thank you for your great responses - yes I did wonder how achievable driving that far south would be without any personal experience of the Irish road network yes that is the right place - I had considered Ballynahinch castle but it was a lot more expensive - but a bite to eat might be achievable!

Are the Cliffs of Moher that exciting though? I just think of Dover and I can't seem to get that thrilled about them. If not then it might be easier to go as far as Athlone.

I will have a look into Balbriggan - I won't mention the shopping outlet to my partner otherwise we'd definitely be going!
Gunshow22 h, 49 m ago

Thank you for your great responses - yes I did wonder how achievable …Thank you for your great responses - yes I did wonder how achievable driving that far south would be without any personal experience of the Irish road network yes that is the right place - I had considered Ballynahinch castle but it was a lot more expensive - but a bite to eat might be achievable! Are the Cliffs of Moher that exciting though? I just think of Dover and I can't seem to get that thrilled about them. If not then it might be easier to go as far as Athlone.I will have a look into Balbriggan - I won't mention the shopping outlet to my partner otherwise we'd definitely be going!

Just another tip also, most Irish hotels prefer booking via own website which is nomally cheaper than using booking sites, also don't be afraid to pop them a phonecall as sometimes if a groupon style offer is going they will give you that price (they prefer that than paying them commisson so works both ways). Also below is a link to an Irish Groupon style website which sometimes has some good offers or gives you inspiration. If you book the Prince of Wales in Athlone on one of the B&B and X evening meals offers, if you ask at reception and say you are going to Galway for the day they will let you transfer your evening meal to there sister hotel in Galway, it's right in the main square). I'm from N.Ireland and in the south quite often as you may tell lol.

Dealrush

Got this email from Brackencourt this morning.

33885728-gWgYM.jpg

Also the below form The Prince of Wales Hotel. Flicking through the dates they all mainly Sun>Tues stays. P.S Breakfast is massive! Also when you go through the online booking process you normally get the chance to add another meal(s) onto the deal which does work out good value.

33885728-cbopf.jpg
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 30th May
How much is a pint of lager in temple bar nowadays
snoopy181 h, 4 m ago

How much is a pint of lager in temple bar nowadays

Depends on what time of the day (Actually true!). Last time I was taking some visitors it was 8 euro and odds for a pint around 5-6pm.
cecilmcroberts2 h, 49 m ago

Depends on what time of the day (Actually true!). Last time I was taking …Depends on what time of the day (Actually true!). Last time I was taking some visitors it was 8 euro and odds for a pint around 5-6pm.

Yes it used to go up after 11pm
i heard it was nearer 12 or 13 Euro’s
snoopy188 h, 22 m ago

Yes it used to go up after 11pm i heard it was nearer 12 or 13 Euro’s

Possibly, it's always been midweek anytime I've been in. The more shocking one is the food and snack prices in it, 5 Euro for a bag of Tayto and 13-16 Euro for a sandwich. Never forget the first time I was in it, waitress had asked if we wanted food and we'd said we have have a look at the menu for later but just drinks for now, but had enquired about the burger "offer" that was on the table. She came back with our two pints and said the price and my first comment was "I didn't order the burgers yet, just the two pints please"..."That is just for the two pints". Not somewhere I'd go normally personally but sometimes people insist on having that pint in The Temple Bar, don't object if on their company credit card lol. Stayed in a 5* Hotel in Galway for meeting and a work course, even in it only 5.25 euro a pint (April 2017)
cecilmcroberts31st May

Possibly, it's always been midweek anytime I've been in. The more shocking …Possibly, it's always been midweek anytime I've been in. The more shocking one is the food and snack prices in it, 5 Euro for a bag of Tayto and 13-16 Euro for a sandwich. Never forget the first time I was in it, waitress had asked if we wanted food and we'd said we have have a look at the menu for later but just drinks for now, but had enquired about the burger "offer" that was on the table. She came back with our two pints and said the price and my first comment was "I didn't order the burgers yet, just the two pints please"..."That is just for the two pints". Not somewhere I'd go normally personally but sometimes people insist on having that pint in The Temple Bar, don't object if on their company credit card lol. Stayed in a 5* Hotel in Galway for meeting and a work course, even in it only 5.25 euro a pint (April 2017)

Just booked to go to Wicklow in 2 weeks time Any tips etc
snoopy1810 h, 29 m ago

Never really explored the Wiklow area..just Kilkenny for the weekend once but that was for a hockey cup match upon which we won and gave us the treble that year so not much to remember lol. Will have an ask around work will see one of the guys later today who from memory always heads in that direction. Let you know if any outcome.
snoopy184th Jun

Sorry for taking so long to get back to yourself. Basically he said Wicklow was all outdoor activities and he has leterally himself anytime there just worked through the listing on the tourist website. Mostly everything is about the scenery and walks, He did say though do ensure to visit Jonnys Foxs pub. Also youtube channel below. Bray is also nice as is Wexford. Same tip also as above if you looking shopping head to The Outlet at Kildare. Also a bar/resturant called "The Bridge Tavern" in Wicklow itself.

youtube.com/use…eos
visitwicklow.ie/map…746
VisitWexford
The Bridge Tavern Wicklow
cecilmcroberts5 h, 33 m ago

Sorry for taking so long to get back to yourself. Basically he said …Sorry for taking so long to get back to yourself. Basically he said Wicklow was all outdoor activities and he has leterally himself anytime there just worked through the listing on the tourist website. Mostly everything is about the scenery and walks, He did say though do ensure to visit Jonnys Foxs pub. Also youtube channel below. Bray is also nice as is Wexford. Same tip also as above if you looking shopping head to The Outlet at Kildare. Also a bar/resturant called "The Bridge Tavern" in Wicklow itself. https://www.youtube.com/user/Wicklowtourism/videoshttp://visitwicklow.ie/map-box/?category=1746VisitWexfordThe Bridge Tavern Wicklow

Many thanks
it’ll be a few steady walks, take a few photos and the pubs
hoping to have a look at bray on the drive down from Dublin
I’ll have a look at your links later
thanks again
Gunshow29th May

Thank you for your great responses - yes I did wonder how achievable …Thank you for your great responses - yes I did wonder how achievable driving that far south would be without any personal experience of the Irish road network yes that is the right place - I had considered Ballynahinch castle but it was a lot more expensive - but a bite to eat might be achievable! Are the Cliffs of Moher that exciting though? I just think of Dover and I can't seem to get that thrilled about them. If not then it might be easier to go as far as Athlone.I will have a look into Balbriggan - I won't mention the shopping outlet to my partner otherwise we'd definitely be going!

How did the trip go?
cecilmcroberts28th Jul

How did the trip go?

it went very well thank you, the Castle was definitely the highlight of the trip, we didn't have the best weather though unfortunately but we did some good shopping in Belfast and enjoyed the Guinness in Dublin
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants