Holiday advice, tips for deal hunting.

Found 16th Sep 2017
Hi Guys,
We've just come back from our 10 day trip to Cyprus and are looking at where to book for 2018.

Anyway, to the point - my missus sorted the booking out and after speaking with lots of other couples whilst on Holiday / around the pool it was clear we have paid significantly more than anyone we met whilst there.... I will stress she's the type that NEVER shops around for deals and it was quite embarrassing hearing every couple we spoke with say how we had paid too much.

Just to compare we paid £2,300 (there's us 2 adults and our 2 year old daughter) and another couple paid £1,700 for almost the same deal !

Does anyone mind sharing What tips do you use to get the best holiday deals??
One lady we spoke with said she uses a site called "deal checker".

We went with Jet2 as a package holiday this time but I'm considering just going on skyscanner and booking our own flights and using trivago to book our own hotel next time.

Ps her days of now booking the holidays are over!
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Look at sites like Holiday Pirates, Travelzoo, on the beach, loveholidays, teletext, Thomson and Thomas Cook to name a few. If you are flexible then you will certainly find a good deal. Once you have found a good deal compare against the different sites and try and build the same package yourself using skyscanner, Trivago and TripAdvisor.

Do not book straight away but monitor the price over a few days / weeks depending on how far away your booking is.

Also look out for airline sales and look for their holidays. It sometimes works out cheaper.
TBH I've always found Jet2 competitive on price . bear in mind the cost includes 22kg of hold luggage and transfers , which maybe many of the folks you spoke to omitted to mention. Also possible the rooms were different , different departure airport, unpopular flight times etc . Even with the major operators Thomas Cook , Thomsons and Jet 2 etc prices can swing wildly in the months leading up to a holiday (Dynamic pricing I think they call it ) , never have worked it out only that it is never cheaper in the last month before the holiday unlike the good old days .

I always used to book the elements (Hotel ,Flight, Transfers ) separately, using Travel Republic however these days it only seems to be cheaper if you get flights at silly times and are willing to gamble on a hotel that the major operators won't touch

As with anything "yer pays yer money " etc , but I have always found Jet2 very good and all of their flights tend to be at civilised times .
32004053-oy41C.jpg

£2300 is incredible. Flights should be around £150 return so you basically paid £1900 for the room and food. This is ok if you were all inclusive in a 5 star hotel.

To put it in perspective, we paid £650 to stay in this villa in Crete for 9 nights and the flights were £98 each (incl suitcase and extra legroom). So, £850 for 9 nights. Food will probably costs about £35 per day for both of us (one main meal out per day and a big Lidl shop for the week). Car hire is £180 so total around £1300 all in.

Next time, consider doing the flights, car hire and accommodation yourself rather than a package 'deal'.

32004053-J5AyO.jpg
32004053-JVHQ7.jpg
32004053-H4jYs.jpg

32004053-nmtBK.jpg
You said you are looking at where to book for 2018 - that tends to be the biggest thing - booking early costs a lot more, but it gives you the flexibility of paying it up over the year.

We go away 2 or 3 times per year, Spain, family holiday. We are always that family who paid soooo much less than most folk there. We book last minute, we are lucky we are able to.

We went 10 nights, July, Majorca 4* all inclusive package holiday so including flights/transfers/hotel for £1800 family of 4. We met a family, also from Glasgow, who were there exact same as us, same flights and all - they paid £3100 but they booked almost a year in advance!

Thomas Cook and Thomson are good websites for just entering your departure airport and dates and leaving your destination open so that it brings up the best deals.
chocci2 h, 55 m ago

[Image] £2300 is incredible. Flights should be around £150 return so you …[Image] £2300 is incredible. Flights should be around £150 return so you basically paid £1900 for the room and food. This is ok if you were all inclusive in a 5 star hotel.To put it in perspective, we paid £650 to stay in this villa in Crete for 9 nights and the flights were £98 each (incl suitcase and extra legroom). So, £850 for 9 nights. Food will probably costs about £35 per day for both of us (one main meal out per day and a big Lidl shop for the week). Car hire is £180 so total around £1300 all in.Next time, consider doing the flights, car hire and accommodation yourself rather than a package 'deal'.[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image]

Wow.... this looks beautiful and compared to where we went (Mayfair Gardens in Paphos, which was listed on Jet2 as 4 star but i swear was more like a 2 star.... as for the all inclusive food we got it was like eating for 2 weeks in Aldi - in fact im sure Aldi would have been much better).

Never go to Mayfair gardens in Paphos.
ellie273 h, 9 m ago

You said you are looking at where to book for 2018 - that tends to be the …You said you are looking at where to book for 2018 - that tends to be the biggest thing - booking early costs a lot more, but it gives you the flexibility of paying it up over the year.We go away 2 or 3 times per year, Spain, family holiday. We are always that family who paid soooo much less than most folk there. We book last minute, we are lucky we are able to.We went 10 nights, July, Majorca 4* all inclusive package holiday so including flights/transfers/hotel for £1800 family of 4. We met a family, also from Glasgow, who were there exact same as us, same flights and all - they paid £3100 but they booked almost a year in advance! Thomas Cook and Thomson are good websites for just entering your departure airport and dates and leaving your destination open so that it brings up the best deals.

This is what i can never understand.......to get the cheapest price is it better to always book a package deal last minute then rather say 9 months in advance of going?.

We have generally always booked our holiday around November time and go away around August - this allows us 9 months to pay the balance.
nick19811 h, 21 m ago

This is what i can never understand.......to get the cheapest price is it …This is what i can never understand.......to get the cheapest price is it better to always book a package deal last minute then rather say 9 months in advance of going?.We have generally always booked our holiday around November time and go away around August - this allows us 9 months to pay the balance.

I am looking at booking a holiday now for mid-October - so booking 3-4 weeks in advance - the holiday on Thomson is £1276. If I want to book the exact holiday on Thomson for mid-October 2018, it is £2366. It does give you an idea of how much inflated the prices all are if you are looking to book in advance!! Try it out yourself!
Edited by: "ellie27" 16th Sep 2017
If you do book the components individually, do remember that you will have less comeback if the flight is cancelled or delayed. Just look at the Ryanair situation at the moment. You may get compensation from them for the missed flight, but not for the missed holiday. The room booking etc is nothing to do with them. Make sure you have the correct travel insurance
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants