Holiday discount centre is a scam

Found 17th Nov 2017
Who do I report this website to? Their prices are completely made up! I called about a holiday twice and the real price is £800 more (for 2) and it's been listed at the made up price for ages and is still there.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

Tell the police.
Or tweet Donald Trump.

Had a quick look for you . The site is typical of those that give you a price (from £xxx) and ask you to ring to book . Their "from" price will be based on 4-6 people per apartment , so for 2 people you will pay an " under occupancy premium" . Add to this bags, transfers , taxes etc the price will soon double from their advertised "from" price.

I am currently looking for an SC holiday for 2 in Lanzarote in March for 1 week . Whichever way I do it from E Mids it is going to be £800 - £900 (£400 per person) . On Holiday Discount Centre similar holidays are advertised as "from £214 per person " . I can see how you have got confused, that's why I will never use one of these phone booking sites (and there are many of them) as I know I can just about double their advertised price for a holiday for the two of us .

Might I recommend the sites I use where you get the price for 2 , add your own flights,baggage ,transfers etc and get a final bookable price ,

Travel Republic (my favourite)
On the Beach
Alpha rooms
Love Holidays

or for reasonable complete package holidays Jet2 (best for price) , Thomas Cook and TUI.

I presume its the first time you have entered the "holiday maze" It will become clearer once you have done a few searches . The site are doing nothing wrong as they haven't taken any money off you .

I have friends who swear by a similar phone to book site "Teletext Holidays" , but I prefer to have all the details in front of me before pressing the "buy" button .
Edited by: "rogparki" 18th Nov 2017

Original Poster

rogparki53 m ago

Had a quick look for you . The site is typical of those that give you a …Had a quick look for you . The site is typical of those that give you a price (from £xxx) and ask you to ring to book . Their "from" price will be based on 4-6 people per apartment , so for 2 people you will pay an " under occupancy premium" . Add to this bags, transfers , taxes etc the price will soon double from their advertised "from" price. I am currently looking for an SC holiday for 2 in Lanzarote in March for 1 week . Whichever way I do it from E Mids it is going to be £800 - £900 (£400 per person) . On Holiday Discount Centre similar holidays are advertised as "from £214 per person " . I can see how you have got confused, that's why I will never use one of these phone booking sites (and there are many of them) as I know I can just about double their advertised price for a holiday for the two of us .Might I recommend the sites I use where you get the price for 2 , add your own flights,baggage ,transfers etc and get a final bookable price , Travel Republic (my favourite) On the Beach Alpha rooms Love Holidaysor for reasonable complete package holidays Jet2 (best for price) , Thomas Cook and TUI.I presume its the first time you have entered the "holiday maze" It will become clearer once you have done a few searches . The site are doing nothing wrong as they haven't taken any money off you . I have friends who swear by a similar phone to book site "Teletext Holidays" , but I prefer to have all the details in front of me before pressing the "buy" button .

I know about the 'from' tricks and was prepared to go without luggage, transfers etc, they have the caviat at the bottom of the page
"prices include compulsory charges. Transfers, meals, baggage and card charges may be extra. All prices are subject to availability."

My issue is that it's not available at the advertised price in any capacity yet the price is updated every day to a similar amount.

Teletext holidays used to do the same but not any more, I think it was because there were a lot of complaints.

I'll take a look at jet2 hopefully I might find a late deal in time

jumpinoffthbed12 m ago

I know about the 'from' tricks and was prepared to go without luggage, …I know about the 'from' tricks and was prepared to go without luggage, transfers etc, they have the caviat at the bottom of the page "prices include compulsory charges. Transfers, meals, baggage and card charges may be extra. All prices are subject to availability."My issue is that it's not available at the advertised price in any capacity yet the price is updated every day to a similar amount. Teletext holidays used to do the same but not any more, I think it was because there were a lot of complaints. I'll take a look at jet2 hopefully I might find a late deal in time

The "under occupancy" premium is a biggy if there are just 2 of you in a SC apartment. Can often be cheaper to go B&B but these holiday hotels often expect to cram 2 adults and 2 kids into a shoebox sized room . Look up the hotel/apartments you were trying to book on Trip advisor, there are links on there to current best prices available as well as previous guest reviews .

rogparki5 h, 53 m ago

Had a quick look for you . The site is typical of those that give you a …Had a quick look for you . The site is typical of those that give you a price (from £xxx) and ask you to ring to book . Their "from" price will be based on 4-6 people per apartment , so for 2 people you will pay an " under occupancy premium" . Add to this bags, transfers , taxes etc the price will soon double from their advertised "from" price. I am currently looking for an SC holiday for 2 in Lanzarote in March for 1 week . Whichever way I do it from E Mids it is going to be £800 - £900 (£400 per person) . On Holiday Discount Centre similar holidays are advertised as "from £214 per person " . I can see how you have got confused, that's why I will never use one of these phone booking sites (and there are many of them) as I know I can just about double their advertised price for a holiday for the two of us .Might I recommend the sites I use where you get the price for 2 , add your own flights,baggage ,transfers etc and get a final bookable price , Travel Republic (my favourite) On the Beach Alpha rooms Love Holidaysor for reasonable complete package holidays Jet2 (best for price) , Thomas Cook and TUI.I presume its the first time you have entered the "holiday maze" It will become clearer once you have done a few searches . The site are doing nothing wrong as they haven't taken any money off you . I have friends who swear by a similar phone to book site "Teletext Holidays" , but I prefer to have all the details in front of me before pressing the "buy" button .

You should look into private villas. We (2 of us) are off to Puerto del Carmen in February for a week and total cost was £720 for flights (2 x suitcases and extra legroom), car hire (autoreisen) and villa with heated pool

ownersdirect.co.uk/acc…ail

chocci1 h, 10 m ago

You should look into private villas. We (2 of us) are off to Puerto del …You should look into private villas. We (2 of us) are off to Puerto del Carmen in February for a week and total cost was £720 for flights (2 x suitcases and extra legroom), car hire (autoreisen) and villa with heated poolhttps://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8017678?utm_campaign=ODUK_TRV_INQ_HASC_replied_PPS&utm_content=propid_text_o_lprop&utm_term=20170601&utm_source=SYS&utm_medium=email

thanks for the link they look nice , flight from EMids on 18 Mar costing about £220 each with seats/bags / grub etc. 8 Euro for Taxi to PDC ( I don't drive on Hols) . Have a lovely holiday and leave some beer there for me

rogparki20 m ago

thanks for the link they look nice , flight from EMids on 18 Mar costing …thanks for the link they look nice , flight from EMids on 18 Mar costing about £220 each with seats/bags / grub etc. 8 Euro for Taxi to PDC ( I don't drive on Hols) . Have a lovely holiday and leave some beer there for me

Luckily for you, I'm a rum drinker

Our flights were £98 each
Car hire £70

jumpinoffthbed6 h, 37 m ago

I know about the 'from' tricks and was prepared to go without luggage, …I know about the 'from' tricks and was prepared to go without luggage, transfers etc, they have the caviat at the bottom of the page "prices include compulsory charges. Transfers, meals, baggage and card charges may be extra. All prices are subject to availability."My issue is that it's not available at the advertised price in any capacity yet the price is updated every day to a similar amount. Teletext holidays used to do the same but not any more, I think it was because there were a lot of complaints. I'll take a look at jet2 hopefully I might find a late deal in time

If you find anything on Jet2 let me know and I'll pm you a Raincheck code that will knock £60 off your holiday , I have a spare one .

@rogparki
i've heard about these Jet2 rain check vouchers, could you post what exactly they are and how to you get one please. ( Not looking for one, just a genuine question

Toptrumpet1 h, 36 m ago

@rogparki i've heard about these Jet2 rain check vouchers, could you post …@rogparki i've heard about these Jet2 rain check vouchers, could you post what exactly they are and how to you get one please. ( Not looking for one, just a genuine question

They give you one on the plane or baggage check in on the way back from your Jet2 holiday/flight.

Hello,

I'm sorry you have experienced problems with an advertiser featured on Holiday Discount Centre, and I'm keen to get the bottom of this for you.

As Holiday Discount Centre are a price comparison site - enquiries are made directly with the advertiser

However, please email me with the name of the advertiser you have had dealings with and I will investigate this further for you.

Kind Regards

Vicky Rowntree

PR Representative - HDC

contactus@hdcstaff.com

@jumpinoffthbed
there's always one that's late to the party and lucky for you it's HDCCare.
Good luck

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants