Holiday help needed...

Found 11th Feb
So, me and my gf have decided to have our first holiday together. She's adamant on gran canaria or Tenerife. However, not las playas Americas in Tenerife (I think that's right).
Leaving from Bournemouth airport.
We've been looking all morning in bed but coming up short.
We're looking for around June for at least a week. Dates and times we don't really care about.
Somewhere near shops and a beach to walk to.
We like the idea of full inclusive but not a crappy buffet, one restaurant kinda place, although self catered would be fine.
We love doing fun activities like jet ski's, paragliding etc so those are a must.
We basically want to have fun most days but be able to chill after some heavy ones too.

If anyone knows of a deal or different/alternative/unique websites that we could look at we'd greatly appreciate it. We've looked at Expedia, travel zoo, first choice and travel republic.

Help me hotukdeals, you're my only hope....
Community Updates
AskTravel
18 Comments
Original Poster
Scotland131415 m ago

Try icelolly.com

Cheers bud we'll look at
You could always book flights and hotel separately, that's what we did when going to tenerife. Same applies to all places but you have more freedom if you don't go for a package deal (eg they are usually set at 5,7,10 nights etc - we wanted 6).

You can buy transfers to the hotel for about 10 euros (book these online before you travel).

Use site skyscanner to find cheapest/best flights, then use TripAdvisor and booking.com to find the hotel, pay attention to the reviews. When you are ready to book the hotel browse around for the cheapest price, often cheaper direct on their site.
I know it's different but I had been looking a few weeks ago and TUI was coming in the cheapest for us in Gran Canaria (though this was from Belfast in August and I normally always do a DIY booking). Last year we went to the Lufesa Apartments in Puerto Rico Self Catering. It's right opposite the main shopping centre with all the bar/shops/resturants/Supermarket and 5 minute walk to the beach (which has plenty to do). Only catch was some noise at night from the bars, personally didn't bother myself one bit but others did moan. The price difference we thought personally wasn't worth it for AI (somewhere different as that place is SC only) as it's very cheap eating out, we where paying 10-14 Euro for Steak/Mixed Grills/T-Bones etc and 9 Euro for all you can eat Chinese buffet. It was my first time myself in the Canary Islands and did notice during searching last year be carefull to read the Hotels/Rooms description as many do not have or "payable locally" for Air Conditioning. Personally couldn't have done without it. Normally we had been going Portugal/Spain and always take it as a given the place has AC. Getting around was easy and the bus service was cheap and spot on, did a couple of day trips into Playa del Ingles to see the infamous "Jumbo Centre".

This is how "just close". Hotel gate on the left in yellow.

33242498-Ifk3i.jpg
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 11th Feb
I found travel republic cheapest to all others for me
fisco200111 m ago

I found travel republic cheapest to all others for me

I used to always say the same, but worthwhile checking against "AlphaRooms" which lately for myself has always been cheaper than TR. Always found OnTheBeach and Ice Lolly to be more expensive than both of them. Have had to use the Customer Service from both AlphaRooms and TravelRepublic and found them both to be spot on. Cancelled flight once (due to air traffic strike), Incorrect date booking (oppsies one friend thought to join us and I kinda booked him 4 days hotel rather than 7, least I booked his flight for the right dates!), issue with transfer (was the cancelled flight one, for some daft reason the transfer company changed our date out but cancelled our transfer for the date home).
cecilmcroberts4 m ago

I used to always say the same, but worthwhile checking against …I used to always say the same, but worthwhile checking against "AlphaRooms" which lately for myself has always been cheaper than TR. Always found OnTheBeach and Ice Lolly to be more expensive than both of them.

Thanks I'll try them as was just about to book mine
fisco20014 m ago

Thanks I'll try them as was just about to book mine

Try this also, only received it today. Note the "must be applied before searching". Personally I'd try without it, then try with it in case it not really a saving lol.

33242585-auOYn.jpg
Look up the all-inc deals for Lancelot hotel in Lanzorote. Over the road from the beech, it's not busy and nice bike hire along the seafront in to the mountains past load of cafe. The is nightlife in walking distance, not something we needed though :-)
tbh, imho.. When I'm unsure, I like to book a ''package'' deal.
A friend of mine at work uses TeleText Holidays every year for her holiday to Gran Canaria (yes, they still exist)
but I've also found deals through TUI.

Granted, last minute deals are always the bargain of the century BUT I'm sure you can find something that suits you.
Usually these websites are a lot more informative about the area you're going to, which you won't find when you're booking on the likes of Expedia etc

Also, with the package deal, having your flights, luggage, transfers and hotel all booked at once is such a delight.
I personally much prefer to do things myself, I'm off to Amsterdam in March, but I know the city, I know the public transport system is great and it's easy to get to the city from the airport etc so I don't need all the added extras.
However, when I went on my boarding holiday in January, I used CrystalSki because for the life of me, for the price I paid, I'd never manage to arrange all that myself, they do your accommodation, flights, transfers, luggage and ski pass/ board hire.. it's a lot of work otherwise XD!

I'd suggest you avoid the likes of Groupon/ Wowcher and TourCenter etc as they get really cheap hotels that are usually in the middle of nowehere and it's a bitch to get to and from on your own.. I tried to book an 8 night break through Italy with TourCenter last year and they're super pushy trying to get you to book, but I wanted to search the hotels, see where they're located and how easy it was to get to and from and what there was to do near-by.. the holiday went from city to city (like 4 cities) but sometimes the trains that you would take would be miles away from your hotels.. so evidently, I never booked..

Anyways, sorry for rambling on, but I hope this helps you x
Im assuming shes trying to avoid the nightlife that goes on till 6am in Playa De Las Americas Tenerife?

If so I wouldnt write the resort off as its so big you can easily avoid Veronica's strip, where everything opens till 6am

Areas around the Safari Centre and across to Los Cristianos are great for families
jase.218 m ago

Im assuming shes trying to avoid the nightlife that goes on till 6am in …Im assuming shes trying to avoid the nightlife that goes on till 6am in Playa De Las Americas Tenerife?If so I wouldnt write the resort off as its so big you can easily avoid Veronica's strip, where everything opens till 6amAreas around the Safari Centre and across to Los Cristianos are great for families

I'd probably recommend somewhere like THIS < PUERTO RICO. Which I believe is 'quieter' than the likes of Tenerife etc
It's in the middle of Puerto Rico, 5 mins from beach, plenty to do down the beach in regards to paragliding etc, plenty of bars/ places to eat and shopping and has a good TA rating

If All Inclusive deals look a little high, I'd skip it, I had a CHEAP deal in Majorca 2 years back, 500 for 2 for mon-fri AI, the bar times were limited, you couldn't have anything off the 'top shelf' you got small cups/ measures of everything.
Meals were all buffet, tables not even set for you, had to help yourself like Morrisons Cafe.. the food wasn't very good for a 4* hotel, we ended up eating out on several occasions and we spent 70% of our time away from the hotel, so never needed lunch/ drinks throughout the day anyway.. so could have probably saved more going SC
bingebunny1 h, 11 m ago

I'd probably recommend somewhere like THIS < PUERTO RICO. Which I believe …I'd probably recommend somewhere like THIS < PUERTO RICO. Which I believe is 'quieter' than the likes of Tenerife etc It's in the middle of Puerto Rico, 5 mins from beach, plenty to do down the beach in regards to paragliding etc, plenty of bars/ places to eat and shopping and has a good TA rating :)If All Inclusive deals look a little high, I'd skip it, I had a CHEAP deal in Majorca 2 years back, 500 for 2 for mon-fri AI, the bar times were limited, you couldn't have anything off the 'top shelf' you got small cups/ measures of everything. Meals were all buffet, tables not even set for you, had to help yourself like Morrisons Cafe.. the food wasn't very good for a 4* hotel, we ended up eating out on several occasions and we spent 70% of our time away from the hotel, so never needed lunch/ drinks throughout the day anyway.. so could have probably saved more going SC

Lol @ the recommendation, take it you didn't read other post. Mind you two people giving the same set of apartments in the same resort does say something
You might find better deals on flights if you look at Gatwick or Bristol. Obviously, you’ve got the parking and the time, but there’s a bigger choice of airlines so you might find better value.
Original Poster
Thank you for all the comments.
cecilmcroberts11th Feb

Lol @ the recommendation, take it you didn't read other post. Mind you two …Lol @ the recommendation, take it you didn't read other post. Mind you two people giving the same set of apartments in the same resort does say something

correct, i did not read another post, i just grabbed this at first glance from TUI - it was a case of the quickest thing I found to prove a point never been there myself but maybe one day I'll take my own advice eh
bingebunny7 h, 28 m ago

correct, i did not read another post, i just grabbed this at first glance …correct, i did not read another post, i just grabbed this at first glance from TUI - it was a case of the quickest thing I found to prove a point never been there myself but maybe one day I'll take my own advice eh

Lol, yeah it was nice (also do recommend paying the extra for the large balcony rooms as certainly they are massive - was only like £60 in total extra and they all on the first floor overlooking the strip and pool area). If you ever thinking about going to the resort Google Maps is certainly your friend as most are all built on the edges of the cliff on either side and the amount of steps to get down to the main "strip" was rather daunting looking, never mind possibly carrying big bottles of water etc. Certainly glad we checked it out first.
cecilmcroberts22 h, 22 m ago

Lol, yeah it was nice (also do recommend paying the extra for the large …Lol, yeah it was nice (also do recommend paying the extra for the large balcony rooms as certainly they are massive - was only like £60 in total extra and they all on the first floor overlooking the strip and pool area). If you ever thinking about going to the resort Google Maps is certainly your friend as most are all built on the edges of the cliff on either side and the amount of steps to get down to the main "strip" was rather daunting looking, never mind possibly carrying big bottles of water etc. Certainly glad we checked it out first.

wouldn't bother me and my young legs ;] I'd appreciate the work out.
View wouldn't fuss me, I live in a seaside town and currently am sat at work looking at the sea.. I'm super ungrateful and that save me some ££ haha
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants