Groups

holiday in term time

my daughters school wont let her take 2wks absence in june to visit family in malta,this is the only time me an my partner can get off work at the same time,she has no exams and has had no time off school this year and had 100% attendance last year,she is in second year off secondry school,any1 else had this kind off problem my sons primary school has gave permission,looking like we will be staying in sunny england yet again :((

43 Comments

Banned

Speak to the head and explain that your son has been give the time off and you can't go any other time.

Good luck!

Schools often say no as it affects their percentages of authorised and unauthorised absences - in your case I am surprised you have been refused due to the visiting family I would write to the head and chair of governors and explain further you can still go however it would just go down as an unauthorised absence in school records for the government which is not your problem but I would fight it first so it's authorised

Original Poster

yes iv done that and had this reply ,( consequently request like yours puts headteachers in a difficult possition ,whilst i relise that you have difficulties with leave from employers i regret that i am unable to authorise the leave requested ) made me feel bad that i even asked them :((

doesnt mean u cant go does it? took my son to canada during term time last yr (yr 2) and the head of infants was like nope i cant authorise the last few days as its over the amount hes allowed in a yr. i said sorry, its a famly wedding so we are going.... way i saw it was that he has sat his SATS and was 6 yrs old.... so we took it as unauthorised ansence.

Yep, as magic beans says, go anyway. You have done the right thing by asking. All about the schools figures

I heard that there will be a 2 week flu bug going around in June

Yep, that summer Maltese flu hangs around for ages

Original Poster

i might just write to the chair of governors as i would rather have it authorised , we have been told they can now fine you 50 pound per parent for unauthorised absence, thanks for replys

If that's the only time you can get off work just take her. With her attendance record you can tell them to shove it.

Original Poster

lol flu bugs a good one ;))

numptyj

I heard that there will be a 2 week flu bug going around in June

It's that bad one as well, the one that turns your skin brown. oO

yep,
    skin goes brown,
    hair goes lighter,
    and makes you feel happy!

they'l need alot of rest, a few ice creams and some family comfort.

if they need a doctors note, send them a postcard!

2 weeks could off could totally throw a childs education off course at that age especially if they miss something important,dont be upset with the school for putting youre childs education first but it doesnt matter to you then just take the unauthorized absence,

We are taking my son out of school in June for two weeks as going to America.

In Scotland the schools close end of June for the summer holidays - he is still in primary school. We spoke to the head and she has told us it will be classed as an unauthorised absence.

You can actually get fined if you just ignore them and take them out of school anyway.

Banned

Holidays during term time - what the law says

You should not normally take your child on holiday in term time - it can be disruptive both to your child's learning and to the school. Schools will only consider holidays in term time where both:

* the application is made to the headteacher in advance of the holiday by a parent the child normally lives with
    * there are special reasons for needing to take the holiday, like the inflexibility of the parents’ holiday leave

Applications should be made as far in advance of the holiday as possible and you should speak to the school before you book. Schools will only agree to more than 10 school days of absence in any school year in exceptional circumstances.
    How do schools consider term time holiday requests?

Schools will judge each holiday request individually, taking into consideration:

* the time of year for the proposed trip
    * if it's close to any exam dates
    * your child's overall attendance record
    * any holidays already taken in the school year
    * the age and stage of education of your child
    * the ability of your child to catch up the work that they have missed
    * the reason why you are taking the time off during term time

While absence may be granted for a holiday during term time, it is entirely the school’s decision and is not a parental right.
    Penalty notices for unauthorised absence

You could be issued with a penalty notice if your child is absent from school without permission. Penalty notices can be issued by:

* local councils
    * headteachers (including deputy and assistant heads authorised by them)
    * the police

This can include parents who take their children on holiday during term time without getting authorisation from the school. The penalty is £50, rising to £100 if not paid within 28 days. If you fail to pay a penalty fine within 42 days you will be prosecuted.

Banned

tonyg1962

2 weeks could off could totally throw a childs education off course at … 2 weeks could off could totally throw a childs education off course at that age especially if they miss something important,dont be upset with the school for putting youre childs education first but it doesnt matter to you then just take the unauthorized absence,

+1

Banned

csiman - Feb 10, 2011 05:08tonyg19622 weeks could off could totally throw … csiman - Feb 10, 2011 05:08tonyg19622 weeks could off could totally throw a childs education off course at that age especially if they miss something important,dont be upset with the school for putting youre childs education first but it doesnt matter to you then just take the unauthorized absence,+1

+1

this is the only time me an my partner

This is probably the lesson your child will miss.

Your childs education is important.

consequently request like yours puts headteachers in a difficult possition ,whilst i relise that you have difficulties with leave from employers i regret that i am unable to authorise the leave requested

i would rewrite my letter asking for the explanation to what reasons they can give to the refusal as this difficult position is a blanket reply.
    I would also back up your request with reference to some educational visits you maybe able to do whilst visiting the country this shouldnt be too difficult due to Malta having plenty of history.
    I would also highlight the difficult position you have as a family and highlight the reasons why you specifically requested the absence again.
    Failing their approval i would take unauthorised leave and if any comebacks came from this with a daughters attendance letter, proof of educational visits and a family event i believe you would have a good case against them.

Banned

csiman - Feb 10, 2011 05:08tonyg19622 weeks could off could totally throw … csiman - Feb 10, 2011 05:08tonyg19622 weeks could off could totally throw a childs education off course at that age especially if they miss something important,dont be upset with the school for putting youre childs education first but it doesnt matter to you then just take the unauthorized absence,+1

this is the only time me an my partner

**** to all of the above. Do you not remember your time at school???

In my final year (GCSE exams year) I had a shockingly low attendance level, around 60% I'd say. I never did any homework ever throughout school anyway and I still surpassed my expected grades, passed my GCSEs and lived happily ever after!

tonyg1962

2 weeks could off could totally throw a childs education off course at … 2 weeks could off could totally throw a childs education off course at that age especially if they miss something important,dont be upset with the school for putting youre childs education first but it doesnt matter to you then just take the unauthorized absence,

yr 8?? dont rmbr t being that important, year 10 yeah probably (GCSE), but end if yr 8 is nowt important!

tonyg1962

In June? If they have finished exams, it is likely to be the start of wind-down time. Schools finish at the end of the June do they not?

Banned

DragonChris

-1In June? If they have finished exams, it is likely to be the start of … -1In June? If they have finished exams, it is likely to be the start of wind-down time. Schools finish at the end of the June do they not?

no, 25th July. Exams start end of may and go through the whole of June generally
    Edited by: "csiman" 10th Feb 2011

It depends if the kids are going to school just to put the hours in, I dont suppose going for 1 week crossed anybodys mind,
    Edited by: "tonyg1962" 10th Feb 2011

Banned

One week isnt being unreasonable to ask for. 2 weeks is taking the pee IMHO.

People do ignore the permissions from the head teacher, though if they do and the authorities get involved, they only have themselves to blame.

Personally, I've taken my kids out on a few occasions for a week over the years (Easter mainly). Our last big holiday, they would have had zero absence if it hadn't been for a pesky Volcano, but thats something entirely different!

I can't see a problem with it tbh, as long as your child is consistently achieving and not struggling.

guv

One week isnt being unreasonable to ask for. 2 weeks is taking the pee … One week isnt being unreasonable to ask for. 2 weeks is taking the pee IMHO. People do ignore the permissions from the head teacher, though if they do and the authorities get involved, they only have themselves to blame.Personally, I've taken my kids out on a few occasions for a week over the years (Easter mainly). Our last big holiday, they would have had zero absence if it hadn't been for a pesky Volcano, but thats something entirely different!

'Pesky'?

Yeee haa!

Original Poster

but she is year 8 so has no exams ,has excellant attendance ,most of the kids in her year are always sick with something or other ..

csiman

+1

csiman

no, 25th July. Exams start end of may and go through the whole of June … no, 25th July. Exams start end of may and go through the whole of June generally

Banned

DAKOTA4

but she is year 8 so has no exams ,has excellant attendance ,most of the … but she is year 8 so has no exams ,has excellant attendance ,most of the kids in her year are always sick with something or other ..

So basically you've already made your mind up what you are going to do and the thread is a bit pointless? (Unless it was just the comfort of a bit of support you were seeking?)

Original Poster

she is not top of the class but she has her head screwed on right probably learn more history wise in this lovely country (malta)than the school she goes too quote=tonyg1962]It depends if the kids are going to school just to put the hours in, I dont suppose going for 1 week crossed anybodys mind,[/quote]

geegee-pinata

I can't see a problem with it tbh, as long as your child is consistently … I can't see a problem with it tbh, as long as your child is consistently achieving and not struggling.

how old is the child, just go. it's not the end of the world. headmaster just jealous!

I take my son out during term time, unfortunately not all people can have school holidays away from work, it doesn't affect my son as he is in the top half of his class. If the headteacher said no I would take him anyway and pay the £50 fine. The £50 fine is also a lot cheaper than term time holidays. Most head teachers allow 10 days off, any that don't are unreasonable.

DAKOTA4

she is not top of the class but she has her head screwed on right … she is not top of the class but she has her head screwed on right probably learn more history wise in this lovely country (malta)than the school she goes too

I didn't mean top of the class hun, just meant that she wasn't failing or is behind in her work. And completely agree with you. Travel broadens the mind, and i would not hesitate to take my children out at that age.

Another option to discuss with the head is her doing a project on Malta when you are there, a daily diary, take back leaflets etc and do a presentation to the class. That way when she is there she is reasearching, reading, writing and she could even do a list of the cost of items compared to england. He may agree to the holiday then??

I like to think I would never take my children out of school except for a VERY good reason. If that means not having a holiday then so be it.That is how I feel now, see if that's the way I feel after years of no holidays

Original Poster

me and my partner work hard all year i havent seen alot of my family for over 6 years so this is a treat for us all i think we deserve,i would normally book in holiday time but have work commitments

nikkib123

I like to think I would never take my children out of school except for a … I like to think I would never take my children out of school except for a VERY good reason. If that means not having a holiday then so be it.That is how I feel now, see if that's the way I feel after years of no holidays

DAKOTA4

me and my partner work hard all year i havent seen alot of my family for … me and my partner work hard all year i havent seen alot of my family for over 6 years so this is a treat for us all i think we deserve,i would normally book in holiday time but have work commitments

Each to their own, I am only saying what I'd do. Hope you sort it out

Original Poster

guv

So basically you've already made your mind up what you are going to do … So basically you've already made your mind up what you are going to do and the thread is a bit pointless? (Unless it was just the comfort of a bit of support you were seeking?)

pointless to you maybe ,if so why did you bother commenting,i was wondering if other schools were the same if any other parents have had the same problem and yes now i have made up my mind i will take her and pay the fine thanks all for your comments and support x

Banned

DAKOTA4

pointless to you maybe ,if so why did you bother commenting,i was … pointless to you maybe ,if so why did you bother commenting,i was wondering if other schools were the same if any other parents have had the same problem and yes now i have made up my mind i will take her and pay the fine thanks all for your comments and support x

You're mistaken. It wasn't support. I was merely pointing out you were putting your needs for a holiday to visit family you haven't seen in over six years ahead of your kids education and rules within the education system. It was already obvious you'd made up your mind and only interested in hearing supportive replies.

Hope that clarifies it for you.

Banned

Oh Guv, are you getting grumpier with age or was you always like this?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. sky q is it a good deal?55
      2. Speccing a gaming pc37
      3. help: windows 10 wifi issue55
      4. Best IPTV Paid service?1721

See more discussions