Groups
    EXPIRED

Holiday in Turkey - May/Jun 2009 - 7 Days

Ok, tried searching for holidays in Turkey, but to no avail!

Basically, looking at going to Turkey in May/June of next year. It will be for 2 people and for 7 days, flying from Luton preferably, but will go further afield if needs be!
    Prefer B&B as 1st choice but not really fussed as to what type of hol.

Was looking at Istanbul, but if anyone has reccomendations let me know!

No budget really...say around £400 each??

Surely there is a travel expert who can help!
    TIA

10 Comments

Try Dalyan, it is absolutely beautiful, much more unspoilt than Istanbul, but not backwards, and you don't get pulled into restaurants and shops because they're not allowed to do that! You can make of it what you want, either really laid back and chilled out, or a bit more adventurous, depends what you're into! The local beach is gorgeous, and world-renowned for its turtles. The local airport is Dalaman.
    Hotels are approx £20 per room per night B&B, have a look at [url]www.dalyan.co.uk[/url] for more info, or if there's anything else you want to know, give me a shout!

a friend of ours has moved to Fethiye with her Turkish partner (top dog fella!):
    We went last year to visit them and stayed a week. Flew from Stanstead (nearest airport for Easyjet), i'd advise you to get the Thomas Cook/Thomson deal as it sorts out the airport transfer.

So our mates now run a hotel (listed on Thomas Cook) this is the ]link, write to them for prices. Some of the pictures are old (from owner) but as you can see the view is amazing of the bay.

Fethiye is about 30-45 mins drive to öludeniz.
    this is a photo i took on idiot-proof camera ... yes nice blue sea water.
    http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj176/kipper1105/DSC08572_ludeniz-beachcombers.gif

we have paid £600 each for 2 weeks all inc to lara beach titanic hotel-maybe a week would come in around your budget? it looks gorgeous..

aegeanflights.com/ offer good flight prices to Bodrum and Dalyan if you book a year ahead (can't book next May/June yet) Private apartments can be booked through ownersdirect.com.

i went for my first holiday in turkey in 2001 a beautifull place called olu deniz its georgus iwas in belcekiz hotel right on the beach front and only a mile from the lovely and warm blue lagoon , you can do as much or as lttle as you want , i went on a tandem skydive for only 40 quid bargain , just thought id let you know of a beautiful place to go 10 out of 10:-D

Original Poster

Thanks for all advice! I take it all the above are from like package holidays?

I've never booked a holiday abroad before, I've only been with my parents!

We are mainly looking for a holiday that has some history/culture/shopping etc...We don't want to laze on the beach all day we want to go out and do stuff...

Keep the suggestions coming in! Also, whens the best time to book for my timescale?

Hi Birdyboy,

We don't usually do package hols (unless it was for cheaper flights and decent accomodation, I know doesn't make sense but sometimes it is simpler to get the price for the flights + accomo sorted for places you're not sure about).

Do some research and have a rough plan about the places you wanna go, get a 2nd hand travel book if you can and once you're there just see how it goes. Coming from London, sometimes I forget to unwind when I am on holiday and have to force myself to relax and not do too much the 1st day and soak up the local atmos.

If you decide to go to Istanbul you will get a cultural/ shopping holiday. However beach hols in the tourist resorts of Turkey are not just sun, sea and sand they can also be combined with trips to places such as Ephesus, pamukale, and Dalyan. You can either hire a car or get really reasonably priced tours. Then you can also relax by the pool or sea and take a turkish bath, stroll round the shops and eat at the many restaurants.

We have stayed in three apartments we found from ownrsdirect and all have been brilliant - we have kids so having a dvd/playstation is good to keep them amused occasonally. We stayed in Altinkum which is a bit too commercial now but very handy for ephesus. Ovacik which was between Fetiye and Olu Deniz peaceful but with lively areas near by, and Yalicavak which was a very quiet town. We loved all of them in their own ways

On the several occasions I've been to Dalyan it hasn't been as a package. You get far more choice of accomodation, and better prices, if you book the hotel direct. In Dalyan, I can recommend Hotel Tems as a very friendly, good value, and central, but not right in amongst any late night noise hotel - I believe their details are on [url]www.dalyan.co.uk[/url]. Try Onur for cheap flights.
    There is also loads to do, culturally and touristy, with the ancient city of Caunos just across the river and mud baths nearby to name just two. There's a market every Saturday, and plenty of trips arranged by the tour firms in town, or hire a car and go explore!

You could also try a 2 centre holiday. Dalyan is beautiful and plenty to do check out [url]www.kaunostours.com[/url] who are very helpful and can fix just about anything!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Gear best shipping?44
      2. Do you use a case on your iPhone?44
      3. Virgin Media TV56
      4. Tooth extraction99

See more discussions